Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Seattle team

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,857 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

Apparently but making some usual mistakes IMO
"Seattle Rugby League FC
9 hours ago ·
Forwards! Want to keep playing rugby over the summer, but not fast enough or too lazy to play 7's? Rugby League is the perfect fit for you! Look out for updates about practices and get togethers!
2 Likes"
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

wow

It's time to park the camels.

#3 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Slow, lazy people will jump at the chance to play RL.

rldfsignature.jpg

#4 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

He's just a young guy setting things up but is as keen as they come. Played for the first time this year for Rhode Island and now has the RL bug!

He's moved back to Seattle after he finished college but has some big plans for RL in Seattle including some contacts in some of the big multinational companies that are based there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop and supporting him in whatever way he needs!

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#5 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wasn't there a proposed Seattle team a few years back? I can't remember what they were going to be called. Good luck to the guy anyway. Maybe the BC guys up in Canada would be a good place to get some friendly games rather than trekking down to California or even further East.

rldfsignature.jpg

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

He's just a young guy setting things up but is as keen as they come. Played for the first time this year for Rhode Island and now has the RL bug!

He's moved back to Seattle after he finished college but has some big plans for RL in Seattle including some contacts in some of the big multinational companies that are based there.

I'm looking forward to seeing how things develop and supporting him in whatever way he needs!

Excellent, from small acorns and all of that. Just out of interest I've been reading and hearing a lot of good things coming out of rhode island with youth program's, interviews on local radio and tv etc and was wondering do you think trying to develop rugby league and establish a semi-professional club in a state like rhode island is easier or has more advantages than trying to establish a club in a big city like new York, Chicago, Philadelphia etc? What with states like rhode island being less populated and not having a pro baseball, basketball and football team to compete with? and if yes could you see the initial success of rhode island being replicated in other new England states like Maine, Vermont and new Hampshire?

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:22 AM

Excellent, from small acorns and all of that. Just out of interest I've been reading and hearing a lot of good things coming out of rhode island with youth program's, interviews on local radio and tv etc and was wondering do you think trying to develop rugby league and establish a semi-professional club in a state like rhode island is easier or has more advantages than trying to establish a club in a big city like new York, Chicago, Philadelphia etc? What with states like rhode island being less populated and not having a pro baseball, basketball and football team to compete with? and if yes could you see the initial success of rhode island being replicated in other new England states like Maine, Vermont and new Hampshire?

Rhode Island is a very small state and Providence, where the Rebellion play has a Boston Red Sox AAA affiliate baseball team pulling in 10,000  crowds. They have a Boston bruins ice hockey minor league club. They have Brown University ivy league American Football and a Div 1 college Basketball team at Providence College. 

Rhode island is very densely populated. Furthermore just over the border in Massachussetts is Foxboro, the home of the huge megalithic New England Patriots NFL team. Having said that US pro sport is quite expensive and there might be a market for a very cut price RL team. There is a large unemployment rate in Rhode Island and there are plenty of inner city youths and ex high school and college football players who might be interested for a small pay cheque and have the mentality for a contact sport like RL.

#8 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

My own thought are that looking at the total population of an area is only relevent when looking at a small, isolated town with no alternatives.

In most places, it is finding your niche.  In Copenhagen, we might be best as an 'Extreme', alternative sport for spectators who are into the new, trendy and out-there.  In small town Poland, it might be a perfectly accepted alternative to soccer.

If this lad can stick at it for five year, there will be the first signs of real progress.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#9 R Peers

R Peers
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

As Bob8 says its definitely about finding your niche. Big cities sometimes work, sometimes don't. Similarly, smaller towns/cities sometimes work, sometimes don't.

The benefits of big cities are that there are so many people to recruit from (fans & players) but you can also get lost with everything else that is going on in the city. Inner city venues are more expensive (At least they are here in Boston) as is accommodation of imports.

Smaller town/cities might give that opportunity to create a niche for RL and things will be cheaper but it will be tougher to fill your roster with a smaller population to recruit players from.

Boston 13s

www.Boston13s.com

E-mail: info@Boston13s.com

Twitter: @Boston13s

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Boston13s

Youtube: http://www.youtube.c.../FortyTwentyInc

Personal

Twitter: @robinpeers

#10 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

As Bob8 says its definitely about finding your niche. Big cities sometimes work, sometimes don't. Similarly, smaller towns/cities sometimes work, sometimes don't.

The benefits of big cities are that there are so many people to recruit from (fans & players) but you can also get lost with everything else that is going on in the city. Inner city venues are more expensive (At least they are here in Boston) as is accommodation of imports.

Smaller town/cities might give that opportunity to create a niche for RL and things will be cheaper but it will be tougher to fill your roster with a smaller population to recruit players from.

Funnily enough, we have just stumbled upon a niche in Copenhagen that might also work in Boston (knowing the place, as I do).

I will send you a message about it.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users