Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

School of hard knocks

Why not RL?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

Not having sky I obviously don't get to see any matches or program's unless I'm at my parents house or watching games at the pub but today whilst at my mam's house for Sunday dinner I saw an advert for an upcoming series on sky sports called "school of hard knocks" which sees young men from deprived areas suffering from hardships such as unemployment, crime, homelessness etc in Britain band together in order to train and play a series of competitive rugby union matches under the guidance of former lions will greenwood and Scott quinnell. The series takes place in Glasgow but I believe past series have been in Croydon and Liverpool and by the looks of things it gives a tremendous boost to the confidence of the young adults and some guidance and direction for sorting their lives out in terms of discipline, education, jobs etc. so my main question is why union and not league? Projects like this are not only great for the young adults and the communities in which they live but for rugby union as well, it's great publicity for union and it also exposes union to an audience that aren't normally associated with rugby union, who could become future fans of the game and even players. Surely rugby league and sky could run a similar project?

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

There has been a similar project on Boots N All this season called 'Sams Team'. Its been very good and could easily be expanded in to a fully fledged show like School of Hard Knocks.

It would be good to see!

Posted Image

#3 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

There has been a similar project on Boots N All this season called 'Sams Team'. Its been very good and could easily be expanded in to a fully fledged show like School of Hard Knocks.

It would be good to see!

Excellent, I'll have to check it out.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

Excellent, I'll have to check it out.

Here's a clicky link Walter!

Posted Image

#5 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,937 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Not having sky I obviously don't get to see any matches or program's unless I'm at my parents house or watching games at the pub but today whilst at my mam's house for Sunday dinner I saw an advert for an upcoming series on sky sports called "school of hard knocks" which sees young men from deprived areas suffering from hardships such as unemployment, crime, homelessness etc in Britain band together in order to train and play a series of competitive rugby union matches under the guidance of former lions will greenwood and Scott quinnell. The series takes place in Glasgow but I believe past series have been in Croydon and Liverpool and by the looks of things it gives a tremendous boost to the confidence of the young adults and some guidance and direction for sorting their lives out in terms of discipline, education, jobs etc. so my main question is why union and not league? Projects like this are not only great for the young adults and the communities in which they live but for rugby union as well, it's great publicity for union and it also exposes union to an audience that aren't normally associated with rugby union, who could become future fans of the game and even players. Surely rugby league and sky could run a similar project?

I think a lot of London RL's development work with young people would mimic this project.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

The Rhode Island Rebelion do something similar in the USA with young guys who have lost their way and find themselves on the wrong side of the law. One of these guys has recently played for the RIR's team in the USARL after coming through their U23 system.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

The TV companies like the whole "culture clash" with teenage tearaways interacting with public school boys. Something that doesn't really happen with RL.

Though of course RL is also an excellent way of straightening out youngsters.