Bonus Points

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

While I have always been against the Bonus Point system it is interesting to observe that only two teams are affected by it in the final league postions. Gateshead and South Wales would have swoped positions.

Congratulations to the boys for ending up 3rd. Now we can look forward to the play off's. If we do not switch off for 20 minutes as we have been doing regularly in the season we can go to the Grand Final and be victorious. Against Oldham would be the best of all results.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#2 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Season starts next week simple as that.

Forget the what if's and should have's regarding the league campaign. The goal is quite simple now, no excuses and no second chances.

#3 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Season starts next week simple as that.

Forget the what if's and should have's regarding the league campaign. The goal is quite simple now, no excuses and no second chances.

No second chances!!?? The whole format is about second chances. Loser between you and London gets a second chance as does the loser of the game against us.

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

While I have always been against the Bonus Point system it is interesting to observe that only two teams are affected by it in the final league postions. Gateshead and South Wales would have swoped positions.

Never makes any significant difference to the league tables.  No difference at all in Div 2.   It just creates a bit of extra interest during the game - maybe adds a bit of "feelgood" factor to supporters of teams who have lost.  It's a non-issue.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Never makes any significant difference to the league tables.  No difference at all in Div 2.   It just creates a bit of extra interest during the game - maybe adds a bit of "feelgood" factor to supporters of teams who have lost.  It's a non-issue.

I take it you didn't see Featherstone v Sheffield last week then?  It was nip and tuck BECAUSE of the bonus point.  Featherstone had to win AND deny the Eagles a BP and Eagles needed a win or a BP to maintain their lead in the league.  It attracted a massive crowd and one of the best games I have seen all season. I think both sets of supporters would disagree it was a non-issue and did make a difference to who won the league. 

In our own league Bonus points have kept Oldham on top of the league until the last week and put pressure on North Wales Crusaders to win our games. 

From a personal point of view I'd like to see a winning Bonus Point awarded for teams that finish over 20 points ahead of their opponents, which would give winning teams a reason for not taking their foot off the gas.

It will be interesting to see what will happens after restructure as the 12 team Super League and Championship will have to have the same scoring system, if the proposed split into 3 divisions of 8 is to be adopted. I think the Bonus Point system will be adopted.

#6 The Collector

The Collector
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

I couldn't agree more with gogledd. I have advocated a bonus point for any team Winning by 20 or more points since its introduction.

How any sport can reward defeat is beyond my comprehension!! It defeats the whole object of Winning.

The sooner the Bonus Point is scrapped the better and let's reward teams for winning as all other sports do!!

Congratulations to Crusaders on their promotion and let's hope Hornets join them next season

ONWARD HORNETS ONWARD

#7 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

######

#8 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

I couldn't agree more with gogledd. I have advocated a bonus point for any team Winning by 20 or more points since its introduction.

How any sport can reward defeat is beyond my comprehension!! It defeats the whole object of Winning.

The sooner the Bonus Point is scrapped the better and let's reward teams for winning as all other sports do!!

Congratulations to Crusaders on their promotion and let's hope Hornets join them next season

ONWARD HORNETS ONWARD

With you all the way Collector apart from the last bit. Come on you Yeds.

#9 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

I take it you didn't see Featherstone v Sheffield last week then?  It was nip and tuck BECAUSE of the bonus point.  Featherstone had to win AND deny the Eagles a BP and Eagles needed a win or a BP to maintain their lead in the league.  It attracted a massive crowd and one of the best games I have seen all season. I think both sets of supporters would disagree it was a non-issue and did make a difference to who won the league. 

Of course, I did, gogledd.  I was there.  It did add a bit of spice to the end of the game - sure.  On the other hand, it made no difference to the positions at the end of the season.  Nor did it make any difference last season.

And that's the summary - adds a bit of excitement at the time but, ar diwedd y dydd/tymor, no significant difference.

I have to say, I'd edge towards bonus points if it were my decision.  But I'm happy just to play to whatever the rules are. Personally, I don't think four points for a try has added anything to our game - the team scoring the most tries nearly always wins anyway - but I haven't whinged about it for thirty years. Them's the rules - get on with it.

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

ONWARD HORNETS ONWARD

Said it before but you get an extra point for winning, an extra point for drawing, an extra point for losing by up to 12.

The teams that don't benefit are the teams who lose by more than 12.  They are the losers in the bonus point debate.

And after reading this post, I've no idea whether you are for or against bonus points.

Edited by Griff, 06 September 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#11 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

How about 3 for a win, 2 for a  draw, 0 for losing by over 12 points.  Losing BP if you lose by 12 or less and a winning BP if you win by over 20 points.

#12 DaveButt

DaveButt
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

How about three for a win two for a draw end of.

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

How about 3 for a win, 2 for a  draw, 0 for losing by over 12 points.  Losing BP if you lose by 12 or less and a winning BP if you win by over 20 points.

Why would you want to encourage wider margins in games ?  What's the increased spectator appeal ?

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

How about three for a win two for a draw end of.

:laugh:

#15 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 733 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Why would you want to encourage wider margins in games ?  What's the increased spectator appeal ?

A few time this season Crusaders have had magnificent victories winning by well over 20 point and only receiving the same league points as if we had 'just won'. It would encourage attacking teams and also tight defences. Winning 4 league points would be more attractive than just winning, surely.  You may agree or not, its just an opinion!

#16 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:03 PM

How about 2 for a win one for a draw and none for losing - I know its radical but it would make the league table easy to understand.

This bonus points nonsense is only relevant if you have a vastly differing quality between the teams in the league and those responsible don't want to admit to it or deal with it.  It is also open to abuse towards the end of the season when teams might need extra points but are playing against teams with nothing to play for.

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

A few time this season Crusaders have had magnificent victories winning by well over 20 point and only receiving the same league points as if we had 'just won'. It would encourage attacking teams and also tight defences. Winning 4 league points would be more attractive than just winning, surely.  You may agree or not, its just an opinion!

It's not whether I agree - it's whether the RFL agree.  One of the stated aims was to encourage closer games with outcomes uncertain as late as possible in the game so, if they're sticking to that, can't see them offering a point for a landslide win.

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,914 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

How about 2 for a win one for a draw and none for losing - I know its radical but it would make the league table easy to understand.

This bonus points nonsense is only relevant if you have a vastly differing quality between the teams in the league and those responsible don't want to admit to it or deal with it.  It is also open to abuse towards the end of the season when teams might need extra points but are playing against teams with nothing to play for.

True for any points system, obviously.

#19 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:38 AM

So,time to go back to the sensible thing as Anita says. Two points for a win,one for a draw and nowt if you lose. Easy.

#20 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

I could not agree more. Simple.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users