Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

4 in a row

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I'd off said 1600 hundred today 1200 from your village, great following. As for price structure you paid the same as last season £16, free parking plus a seat, I had to pay £17 plus parking to stand on a broken terrace & your not even the champions so if say you got the best deal!

You didn't have to stand on the broken terrace, you could have sat in the Main or Family Stand, but probably chose to stand because you can't at the SLS. At Fev you have a very good view wherever you stand or sit, and you don't need binoculars!

#22 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Actually I couldn't resist in the end, great afternoon out.

Still don't like your pricing structure and I'm pretty sure your £3.50 horse burgers have given me the squits :P

Oh and 1200 my backside, there were at least 2000 in there today, mostly wearing blue and white.  Do LCC charge you by attendance by any chance?

It's more like something to do with the safety certificate and the number of stewards they have to pay for!

#23 General Salt

General Salt
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

So topping the league with a balanced fixture list means nothing then? It's like saying Wigan Athletic were more successful than Man.U last season! You might try to belittle it, but winning the league 4 years on the trot puts us way above the rest.

Different sport different rules, what a silly comparison! And I'm not trying to belittle it because there's nothing to belittle, your either the champions or your not, that's Sheffield eagles and until you win the grand final will still be Sheffield eagles!

#24 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Different sport different rules, what a silly comparison! And I'm not trying to belittle it because there's nothing to belittle, your either the champions or your not, that's Sheffield eagles and until you win the grand final will still be Sheffield eagles!

Ha ha enjoy your relegation , if you manage to win the lowest league , dont be singing champions between the taxi full of you

#25 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:55 PM

Sick of hearing folk say winning the league means nothing........But actually this year it does. It means an awful lot of money!

I'm a bit confused though, on the Kingstone Press site it says the Championship league winners get £25K, and the Championship League 1 winners get £50K. Surely this is the wrong way round?

#26 pont rover

pont rover
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

Sick of hearing folk say winning the league means nothing........But actually this year it does. It means an awful lot of money!
I'm a bit confused though, on the Kingstone Press site it says the Championship league winners get £25K, and the Championship League 1 winners get £50K. Surely this is the wrong way round?

I think the prize money comment is correct Steve if my memory is correct I seem to remember the Grand Final from previous years was 100k for the winners and 30k for the runners up plus a lot lower for championship 1 not sure on the exact amount.

#27 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

Congrats and thanks for stuffing Hunslet from a Barrow Fan and looking forward to our to our trip to Fev next year

You sad individual, you must be gutted that Swinton beat one of your neighbours and stayed up.

Congratulations to Fev well deserved and as far as I am concerned the true Champions of the league. The play offs are a glorified cup competition.

#28 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:48 PM

Well played Fev, you played the game as it should be, rock solid passing and rock solid tackling......The Eagles unfortunately still have the Super League mentality of being flash.....Flip the ball up and there will be a player running on to it but we are not fulltime super leaguers, after you have perhaps repaired a leak, given the all clear to a child who was suspected to be suffering from cancer or you have cleared a drain and possibly fitted a kitchen, to then play eighty minutes of the greatest game needs good basic skills like yours not Bend it like Beckham lookalikes....

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#29 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

Congratulations Featherstone on yet another league leaders title - no matter what interpretation some people may put on it nobody should dispute that you are and have been the best team in this league - enjoy

#30 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Well played Fev, you played the game as it should be, rock solid passing and rock solid tackling......The Eagles unfortunately still have the Super League mentality of being flash.....Flip the ball up and there will be a player running on to it but we are not fulltime super leaguers, after you have perhaps repaired a leak, given the all clear to a child who was suspected to be suffering from cancer or you have cleared a drain and possibly fitted a kitchen, to then play eighty minutes of the greatest game needs good basic skills like yours not Bend it like Beckham lookalikes....

Very gracious of you E, but don't dismiss your side, they are formidable opponents and have been a lot more consistent this year. It's tough being favourites though, isn't it? There's always other clubs like Leigh and Fax that can raise their game against you!

#31 JCrabtree

JCrabtree
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Obviously the first time was amazing. Having not lived through the "glory days" myself seeing rovers become the top side out of super league was an experience I'd longed for, but with the serious competition provided by Sheffield, as well as capable sides like Leigh and Fax this year has possibly been the sweetest (so far.) Does anyone else agree?

#32 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

These days yes, finishing top means nothing we all know that!

Apart from the £25000 the RFL sends you, obviously.

No it's not the championship, but to say it means nowt is a bit over the top.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#33 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

#34 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

These days yes, finishing top means nothing we all know that! Great folowing from you lot today at least 900 of you, bet the two who boycotted feel like idiots tonight!

Not in the least, ready salted. I dont mind admitting that it was myself and the wife. We both stood up to be counted. Say want they want, as long as they keep their hands off.

Edited by Bob Crowther, 02 September 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#35 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Supporters have said it before, and will say it again: It is only in our sport where the team who tops the league at the end of the league fixtures is not (officially) entitled to be called 'champions'. For some reason which most people, RFL officials excluded, find difficult to understand, Rugby League Officials call the winners of an end of season knock out competition 'Champions'. That was the comparison being made - the names that you put to it are not important. Wigan Athletic as winners of a cup competition more successful than the team who topped the league ( Man. Utd.) - I think not

#36 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

Supporters have said it before, and will say it again: It is only in our sport where the team who tops the league at the end of the league fixtures is not (officially) entitled to be called 'champions'. For some reason which most people, RFL officials excluded, find difficult to understand, Rugby League Officials call the winners of an end of season knock out competition 'Champions'. That was the comparison being made - the names that you put to it are not important. Wigan Athletic as winners of a cup competition more successful than the team who topped the league ( Man. Utd.) - I think not

...and also unlike other sports are not allowed the right of promotion either....that's rugby league in a nutshell;

#37 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Players
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

...and also unlike other sports are not allowed the right of promotion either....that's rugby league in a nutshell;

Unfortunately we are where we are.

However, really pleased for Danny Evans, Sean Long and all back office. Great to see the togetherness of the team right now, especially at the end of the match when they sang in front of the fans! (I think they were singing). Couldn't make it to the clubhouse last night but should imagine a few shandy's were supped.......

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Supporters have said it before, and will say it again: It is only in our sport where the team who tops the league at the end of the league fixtures is not (officially) entitled to be called 'champions'.

Just not true, Frank.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#39 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Just not true, Frank.

#40 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts