Today's game

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 LeeBriersIsGod

LeeBriersIsGod
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I agree . Chambers took alot of criticism. I am not all for blaming the coach. The 17 players that played last weekend wasnt much different to the 17 that played when you was losing. Its the players on the pitch that score/ concede the points.
Warrington Wolves "Making History , Not living It" "We All Hate Wigan" Swinton Lions "Up the Lions"

#22 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I agree . Chambers took alot of criticism. I am not all for blaming the coach. The 17 players that played last weekend wasnt much different to the 17 that played when you was losing. Its the players on the pitch that score/ concede the points.

. I think the problem was that the team had shown alot of promise under Ian Watson and Marlon Billy and then things deteriorated rapidly when Gary Chambers was appointed.

#23 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

But not anymore. They played some great rugby in the last two months

#24 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

. I think the problem was that the team had shown alot of promise under Ian Watson and Marlon Billy and then things deteriorated rapidly when Gary Chambers was appointed.

I dont think they deteriorated rapidly, we were never in the top half or ever were gonna be, we just didnt improve when GC took over and were still juggling the side around. We did cave in during the second 40 mins on occasion though and threw away a few leads. As he was bringing in new players and changing patterns it was always going to take time.
Thank goodness it was 'in' time!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#25 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

I dont think they deteriorated rapidly, we were never in the top half or ever were gonna be, we just didnt improve when GC took over and were still juggling the side around. We did cave in during the second 40 mins on occasion though and threw away a few leads. As he was bringing in new players and changing patterns it was always going to take time.
Thank goodness it was 'in' time!

as I recall we were reasonably competitive under Watto and Marlon and then suddenly we were getting smashed big time! .No doubting that once GC realised the way we were utilising DR wasn't working and brought in his own players there was a marked improvement.

#26 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

http://www.swintonli...ns-revival.html

Well this is Garys own take on the reasons why.

In the end we had a far more successful season than last year.  Whatever the pros and cons of dual registration its done and dusted. 

I never cease to be amazed by the fickle nature of our fans and the constant theme throughout the game of concentrating on the negative.  

I know you think we were sold down the river Dave and I respect that opinion....but when I occasionally venture on to face book and see so many strong views from fans who cant even be bothered going to games I really do wonder.

When you see some of the folk staggering up those steps to cheer on the Lions I find perspective on the real dilemmas a person could face and moral outrage at the borrowing of  a few players really does pale into insignificance.

#27 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Steve Mc started the season with 3 losses inc one by York. Watto and Marlon held a 2 from 4 record with wins against Keighly and the Dons and 2 bp's against Fax and Rams so yes, their record was good but a damn site better than their predecessor!

Not sure it was GC realising our use of the DR though, rather more that our own squad wasnt good enough across the board. Remember we started with Watkins, Birkett, Reay, Clarke, Holland, Ballard etc non of whom finished the season for one reason or another!

Any way you look at it, GC did turn it around (with the help of the players of course) and I am looking forward to the improvements to continue next season with some quality signings and good news about the new Statio Road!!!!!!!!!!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#28 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

After 12 games we had 16 points and sat in eighth place in the league. (4 wins)

After 26 games we had 34 points and ended tenth, 5 point behind a play off place. (9 wins)

Pretty even halves to the season.

Given we got 14 points from the last 6 games then we managed 4 points in those middles 8 games. That was where the complaints came from and were I believe justified based on performance. The fixture list has a part to play ( they were a difficult run of fixtures).

Overall, I don't think we got over the poor start to the season 2 straight defeats to workington and York and never got a run together due to the fixtures.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users