Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Congratulations to North Wales Crusaders

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

delighted for clive and the boyo's thoroughly deserved promotion, and i will be back next season (when widnes aren't playing)...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

A massive thank you to everyone who has posted on this thread.  Its great to see our success is recognised outside the Cru circle.  And I am so pleased that North Wales Crusaders fans get recognised for the warm, friendly fun bunch that we are.  I'm really looking forward to visiting lots of new stadia and meeting fans from Championship clubs next season.  Any on you visiting the Racecourse will always find warm welcome in the Turf before and after the game.

Diolch yn fawr iawn.

#23 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'd quite like S4C to stand up and look to televise some Crusaders home games next season in the Championship, a but like they did with the old Crusaders club.

We will see.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Well said and very well done to Crusaders, they have managed to do a good job of retaining enough support for the club from the fantastic original support attracted by the Superleague version of the club.

We mustn't forget their winning game was however mostly "played by people" they bought in who were from and whose whose careers started in M62 land at Leigh, Leeds, Saints, Wire, Widnes, Leigh, Salford, Bradford etc.

I agree but the fact is that were the interest not there, the club would have simply faded away. As it is, a fair few Welsh people have their own clubs to follow as a result of the original Crusaders teams.
This is what should have been happening 100 years ago, not remaining local because things got a bit awkward.

That said, this is not the thread to argue about the ins and outs of it but to offer congratulations to Crusaders and their fans.

Edited by Johnoco, 02 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I agree but the fact is that were the interest not there, the club would have simply faded away. As it is, a fair few Welsh people have their own clubs to follow as a result of the original Crusaders teams.
This is what should have been happening 100 years ago, not remaining local because things got a bit awkward. That said, this is not the thread to argue about the ins and outs of it but to offer congratulations to Crusaders and their fans.

Couldn't agree more, a north wales club and a south wales club in CC will hopefully underpin an amateur game/junior game in ways in which the old Blackpools and Nottinghams never did. Next years going to be a tough one for the club! It won't be a stepping stone to SL.

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

This is what should have been happening 100 years ago, not remaining local because things got a bit awkward.

This. Very much this.

And congratulations to the Cru! :) 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's worth remembering that if we listened to the people who claim RL is a game that can only be enjoyed or played by people in bits of Yorkshire and Lancashire, then Crusaders would not exist.

I'll agree on this and well done to the club.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#28 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well said and very well done to Crusaders, they have managed to do a good job of retaining enough support for the club from the fantastic original support attracted by the Superleague version of the club.

We mustn't forget their winning game was however mostly "played by people" they bought in who were from and whose whose careers started in M62 land at Leigh, Leeds, Saints, Wire, Widnes, Leigh, Salford, Bradford etc.

if Hunslet had recruited half as well instead of relying on Leeds reserves ,maybe they would have stayed up.

Leeds have recruited from all over the known world as well as recruiting from the amateurs. Just give the Crusaders their moment in the sun and stop being such a curmudgeon.

#29 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:58 PM

if Hunslet had recruited half as well instead of relying on Leeds reserves ,maybe they would have stayed up.

Recruiting players costs money. Those who have it get the better players. Those who don't have to beg and borrow.

You won't ever get away from the money thing. We didn't have the money so we could not "recruit well"

#30 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Been away and missed this absolutely fantastic news. Genuinely pleased for Cru and their fans.

You have to admire their resilience and passion.  'Chwarae teg', as they say - Fair play to 'em!

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Recruiting players costs money. Those who have it get the better players. Those who don't have to beg and borrow.

You won't ever get away from the money thing. We didn't have the money so we could not "recruit well"

And Crusaders are cashed up moneybags are they ? You can't have it both ways. You were so full of beans and happily confident that Hunslet would have their best season in years and be threatening to bust the playoff spots because of the DR partnership with Leeds bringing not only players but coaching expertise and a ride on the coat tails of Leeds marketing

Now that an independent has done the double in CC1 by relying on their own scouting and recruitment , all you can say is " It's not such a good thing because you recruited players from the M62 heartland areas". Your post stinks of sour grapes. I say unequivocally to the Crusaders "well ,done great achievement and I don't care where your players are from". I do know the club is supportive of the development of amateur sides in North Wales so, in years to come, who knows where all the players will be from.

#32 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Uh-oh, I sense a 27-page willy-jousting rant fest..... can we keep this on the right tone, folks?

#33 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Parksider,  at least 50% of our 2013 squad was retained from our 2012 squad which was recruited by trails and scouting amateur players. Our coaching team and conditioning trainer plus some prudent recruitment has made them into a team of champions... and our independent approach has definitely been a strength.  Our players love to play for Clive Grifiths and his team who go the extra mile to ensure that nothing is left to chance.

And no...despite being dubbed "Big Spending Crusaders" we have remained within the budget set by the board of directors based on income from the RFL (the same as other CC1 clubs) and gate takings.

#34 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

This is one of the best stories of the season, well done Cru ! Big warm welcome to there well run club, welcome welcome welcome ! North Wales is a natural place for RL, its already now part of the heartland....and as for their wonderful fans.....!

Best of luck for next year !

Right, come on Hemel !

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,863 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Parksider,  at least 50% of our 2013 squad was retained from our 2012 squad which was recruited by trails and scouting amateur players. Our coaching team and conditioning trainer plus some prudent recruitment has made them into a team of champions... and our independent approach has definitely been a strength.  Our players love to play for Clive Grifiths and his team who go the extra mile to ensure that nothing is left to chance.

And no...despite being dubbed "Big Spending Crusaders" we have remained within the budget set by the board of directors based on income from the RFL (the same as other CC1 clubs) and gate takings.

Extremely well done, Hunslet won this league too with little money. I take the point the team was well recruited and coached and no, there was no big spending at all. My point is people should enjoy the success but not use Crusaders success as an argument that such clubs can go on to build their way to professional RL. The level of money in CC1 is very small comparatively and probably smaller as we have brought fledgling clubs in. I also take Leeds Wire point so well done indeed Crusaders and that's my lot.

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

Nonsense.

This is one of the few times that an expansion club has earned promotion. Yes, the old Crusaders were promoted but the first promotion was when they were breaking salary cap and employing players who would later fall foul of the UKBA and the second was given to them by the RFL at a time when they were accruing CCJs. The old London RLFC earned promotion on the field in an honest way but aside from that I'm struggling to think of another example.

Crusaders have also had decent crowds for the division that they play in. Certainly another rarity with expansion clubs.

They don't have many Welsh players but since nobody was playing RL in North Wales until very recently that is hardly surprising. The fact that they have any at all is expansion.

They have a good chance of staying up next year as well. Hard to see how this is not an example of building from the ground up. The very thing that some claim is impossible from clubs outside SL.

#37 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

On further reflection IIRC Carlisle also earned promotion and probably SHeffield as well, the reformed Gateshead also did.

But I think this is a first for Wales.

Edited by Northern Sol, 03 September 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#38 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

to see the dedication of the cru fans you should have been at thatto heath earlier in the year, playing on what was basically a field in sthelens, well over 100 cru fans turned up and sang all the way through the game, i was talking to clive after the game and he said that he wanted to get the club promoted on it's own merits rather than take dual reg players to bolster the squad. surely it is one of the greatest success stories of the past 5 years in the game.........onwards and upwards with the cru
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#39 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

My head is finally getting back to normal today after 1 or 2 shandies after the game.

I would like to thank all the poster's on this thread for their gracious praise of our emerging club. The people who have taken the time to come and watch our team and meet our supporters have mostly taken us for what we are, a friendly and passion bunch of people who want to see RL grow and thrive in Wrexham and the whole of North Wales.

The growth of our club has been Roy of the Rovers stuff,  we are 'North Wales Crusaders' and are 22 months old!!!!.

I'm looking forward to meeting fans from new clubs next year both on the road and at home, I am under no illusion that it's going to be a tough season up in the Championship but all we can do is our best and keep this club heading in the right direction.

Oh and enjoy the limelight of being Champions  :yahoo:

Best wishes to you all and your respective clubs.

Regards 7

#40 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

A big well done to Cru and your fantastic fans.

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users