Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hayao Miyazaki retires!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

Studio Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki to retire following latest film.

The Wind Rises, currently premiering at this year's Venice film festival, will be the Japanese director's final feature. :( 

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

devastated!

Princess Mononoke is my favourite animated film. I'd still rate it highly on my list of favourite films.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

The remaining directors at Studio Ghibli have a lot to live up to. Apart from the exceptional 'Grave of the Fireflies', I've never enjoyed (co-founder) Isao Takahata's work nearly as much as Miyazaki's.

Edited by Futtocks, 03 September 2013 - 10:52 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Enjoyed isn't a word I'd use about grave of the fireflies. More traumatised afterwards. Great film though!

I agree the other Ghibli films haven't been of the same standard.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Enjoyed isn't a word I'd use about grave of the fireflies. More traumatised afterwards. Great film though!

It's a tough watch, but a superb piece of film-making.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

'Only Yesterday' was a bit dull (Miyazaki was only the producer on that, though) and I've only seen 'Ponyo' once, so I'll reserve judgement.

He leaves behind an amazing body of work - the ones I've seen and would recommend are:

• The Castle of Cagliostro (pre-Ghibli and not his usual style, but fun)
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (bizarre eco-fable)
  • Castle in the Sky (amazing action sequences)
  • My Neighbor Totoro (bonkers but brilliant)
  • Kiki's Delivery Service (charming coming-of-age story)
  • Porco Rosso (underrated, but one of my favourites)
  • Whisper of the Heart (understated, but satisfying)
  • Princess Mononoke (another eco-fable, this time with added gore - lots of it)
  • Spirited Away (visually astounding)
  • The Cat Returns (fun, but not top-drawer)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (very good indeed)
  • Arrietty (Studio Ghibli's take on 'The Borrowers')

#7 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

In defence of Ponyo, whilst I'm not enamoured by it, my 5 year old thinks its one of the best films ever!

You've reminded me I haven't seen Whisper of the Heart. Must get hold of that! I love your description of Totoro!

Which is your favourite? I've already nailed my flag to the Princess Mononoke mast (ooeeer... she'd eat me alive though) but after that I'd go Spirited Away, Howls, and Nausicaa.

Honestly though.... so many awesome films.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

In defence of Ponyo, whilst I'm not enamoured by it, my 5 year old thinks its one of the best films ever!

You've reminded me I haven't seen Whisper of the Heart. Must get hold of that! I love your description of Totoro!

Which is your favourite? I've already nailed my flag to the Princess Mononoke mast (ooeeer... she'd eat me alive though) but after that I'd go Spirited Away, Howls, and Nausicaa.

Honestly though.... so many awesome films.

This is almost as bad as playing 'Desert island Discs'!

Perhaps, in no particular order, my top five would be:

• Castle in the Sky
  • Porco Rosso
  • Spirited away
  • Princess Mononoke
  • My Neighbour Totoro

But, but, but... oh, where's the 'turmoil' emoticon?

Edited by Futtocks, 03 September 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Porco Rosso, is as you say an underrated movie, although I've only watched that one once!

One of the great things about the list of all his work now I'm thinking about it, is the diversity of themes and topics, and even levels of seriousness in them. Miyazaki's retirement is a sad loss to animation.

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,352 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

It marks the initial appearance of Baron from 'The Cat returns' which was a sort of spinoff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users