Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Huddersfield?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Two challenge cup finals, a league leaders' shield, a fancy ground, a wealthy backer, a fantastic footballing side and below average Superleague gates.

What's it going to take?

Edited by Larry the Leit, 02 September 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#2 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Looking at the crowd for the lls match, winning the grand Final might be the catalyst that finally jump starts the Giants gates.

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Their support is a miliion miles from what the got 20 years ago, so progress has clearly been made, but it'll take a GF win to take them to the next level, I think.

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

been to hudds ground twice, after 1st time said would never return! soul less atmosphere less echoey empty plastic carbuncle, enough to put any body off parting with hard earned cash, in a traditional ground with atmosphere crowds would have tripled by now.

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

Looking at the crowd for the lls match, winning the grand Final might be the catalyst that finally jump starts the Giants gates.

Just can't see it myself. Attendance figures that are significantly swelled by on- field successes are just as likely to drop off if that success can't be sustained. There are so many other factors that influence attendances (history, habit, etc.)
I still haven't really been able to buy into this whole Huddersfield thing this year. They've deservedly finished top of the table in a competition that if we're honest has been mediocre at best all year. I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong but I'm just not convinced that they have the quality to win the GF. They are a very well organised side playing on the crest of a wave of confidence and in my opinion have overachieved thus far. Who for instance would ever have thought that Brett Ferres would ever in his career be capable of playing as well as he has been recently (come on Wakefield and Bradford fans surely you remember?). Or Scott Grix? I still think Huddersfield are a couple of class payers short of being a genuinely top side.

#6 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

been to hudds ground twice, after 1st time said would never return! soul less atmosphere less echoey empty plastic carbuncle, enough to put any body off parting with hard earned cash, in a traditional ground with atmosphere crowds would have tripled by now.

There..... that's better.

#7 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

What will it take to stop Larry from trolling?

What causes it? Is he just so crushingly jealous, bitter, unfulfilled?

Is there some other reason?

Does he just need a hug?

#8 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

There..... that's bitter.

Fixed that for you ;)

#9 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

Huddersfield get the same crowds as St Helens did in the 1980s and 1990s. They won Cups and titles during that period and no-one moaned at the regular 6,000 to 8,000 crowds. In fact, for those who want to look up Bobby Goulding's return to Saints (for Huddersfield) in 1998, the crowd was 4227 at Knowsley Road. 

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Yet you still returned! Now I have my doubts about whether I can believe what you say bb if this is how you carry on.

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

once again rl and its fans cant see the wood for the trees - WE ARE NOT FOOTBALL - I went with family to hudds ground twice, both times weather was poor, ground was cold, I was sat where I was told, there was 0 atmosphere around the ground no banter and players seemed miles away, not for me thanks and not for others who don't go for the same reasons.
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#12 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

once again rl and its fans cant see the wood for the trees - WE ARE NOT FOOTBALL - I went with family to hudds ground twice, both times weather was poor, ground was cold, I was sat where I was told, there was 0 atmosphere around the ground no banter and players seemed miles away, not for me thanks and not for others who don't go for the same reasons.

Glad to hear you're the voice of many. When exactly did you canvass the rest of the non attendees? First visit or second?

rldfsignature.jpg

#13 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Huddersfield get the same crowds as St Helens did in the 1980s and 1990s. They won Cups and titles during that period and no-one moaned at the regular 6,000 to 8,000 crowds. In fact, for those who want to look up Bobby Goulding's return to Saints (for Huddersfield) in 1998, the crowd was 4227 at Knowsley Road.

However Knowsley Road was one of the worst grounds in RL. Saints moved to a new ground and average attendances leapt to 14000 in the first season. Even in this relatively poor season they get 11 000. Giants already have the ground, yet attendances are still awful.

#14 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Awww, bless

Hiding behind some pathetic excuse rather than admit your just bitter and jealous

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'm old enough to remember Huddersfield pulling in attendances in their hundreds and being a pee poor side with it.

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

me too

Also

if, say Wigan, had grown their crowds at the same rate as the Giants had in the last decade they'd be selling out the DW every home game.

#17 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

However Knowsley Road was one of the worst grounds in RL. Saints moved to a new ground and average attendances leapt to 14000 in the first season. Even in this relatively poor season they get 11 000. Giants already have the ground, yet attendances are still awful.

Huddersfield were getting 2-3,000 in 2003, now they are getting around 6-7,000 regularly and got 8,700 yesterday. How can that not be deemed a success? The club has spent much of the previous 40 right down in the lower reaches of the old second division. When I was a kid, Huddersfield were right down there with Blackpool, Huyton and Doncaster.

If they win the GF, they might get 8,000-9,000 over the next year or so. In 2-3 years they may hit 10k. How is this not a success story?

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

If they win the GF, they might get 8,000-9,000 over the next year or so. In 2-3 years they may hit 10k. How is this not a success story?

Possibly because this is RL and instead of rightly congratulating Huddersfield on their achievements some people have to focus on what they perceive (or is it delight in?) a negative aspect.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Just can't see it myself. Attendance figures that are significantly swelled by on- field successes are just as likely to drop off if that success can't be sustained. There are so many other factors that influence attendances (history, habit, etc.)
I still haven't really been able to buy into this whole Huddersfield thing this year. They've deservedly finished top of the table in a competition that if we're honest has been mediocre at best all year. I'm perfectly happy to be proved wrong but I'm just not convinced that they have the quality to win the GF. They are a very well organised side playing on the crest of a wave of confidence and in my opinion have overachieved thus far. Who for instance would ever have thought that Brett Ferres would ever in his career be capable of playing as well as he has been recently (come on Wakefield and Bradford fans surely you remember?). Or Scott Grix? I still think Huddersfield are a couple of class payers short of being a genuinely top side.

I'm nor arguing about the quality or otherwise of the Giants players. They may or may not win the Grand Final. I am just saying that if they did it might be the spark that lights a fire under the citizens of Huddersfield to get behind their team. Of course attendances are linked to success. Bradford are down to 7 000 now since success left. Wigan were at 4,000 when the were in Division two. Keighley were up to 4000 plus in the Cougarmania era. Halifax were in the 6 to 7000 range when they were a top team and won the cup a few years ago.

#20 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Last season we averaged 8k - a terrible end to the season and a hike in ticket prices slashed out support - added to that the visiting support has been utterly woeful all season (I guess no one likes to see their team lose lol) to the stage that NO ONE can slate the giants for poor travelling support (especially since ours has improved out of sight this season)

If it hadnt been for the Brown debacle, and the hike in ticket costs then I'd say we'd have averaged 8k again this season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users