Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Huddersfield?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

Bradford's 7,000 is better than they were getting as a table topping side pre SL.

rldfsignature.jpg

#22 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

till they lose a few games again and the echoes start bouncing off the plastic seats again, look at wakefield -their fans know they are no hope journey men but enjoy the atmosphere of historic belle vue, standing shoulder to shoulder with other teams fans, people wont just go to watch wakey just cos they can have a comfy ######, a new ground for wakey would not be a new beginning but a certain end, lets stop trying to be something we are not and get some quality product on the grass instead
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#23 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Having just moved close to Huddersfield I have a choice between Huddersfield, Bradford or Wakey to follow. Having been to all 3, the atmosphere at Wakey was by far the best. If Huddersfield had terracing the choice would be simple but now I'm still undecided

#24 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Having just moved close to Huddersfield I have a choice between Huddersfield, Bradford or Wakey to follow. Having been to all 3, the atmosphere at Wakey was by far the best. If Huddersfield had terracing the choice would be simple but now I'm still undecided

#25 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

till they lose a few games again and the echoes start bouncing off the plastic seats again, look at wakefield -their fans know they are no hope journey men but enjoy the atmosphere of historic belle vue, standing shoulder to shoulder with other teams fans, people wont just go to watch wakey just cos they can have a comfy ######, a new ground for wakey would not be a new beginning but a certain end, lets stop trying to be something we are not and get some quality product on the grass instead

I'm sure you will be enjoying the 50-55,000 for the Souths v Roosters game on Friday. Or will you be counting the 30,000 empty seats at ANZ stadium? Make up your mind what point you are trying to make cos it seems to change every single time. The one thing you can't accuse Huddersfield of is not improving the quality of play on the 'grass'. They have an all British backline - how many other clubs can say that?

Edited by Scubby, 02 September 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#26 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:53 PM

Wakey's problem is its a dump, a terrible view of the pitch and a millstone round the clubs neck.
if not actually being able to see 60% of the game is your thing, its fine. - also, ZERO cover from the elements.

What they get at Belle Vue is as good as it will get barring a miracle.

Odsal has a great view, but again no cover from the elements and any atmosphere can be lost there pretty easily

The John Smiths is an international class stadium with a superb playing surface, superb views from almost anywhere and cover from the elements - and its had plenty of atmosphere this season when there has been something to cheer about

#27 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

Wakey's problem is its a dump, a terrible view of the pitch and a millstone round the clubs neck.if not actually being able to see 60% of the game is your thing, its fine. - also, ZERO cover from the elements.What they get at Belle Vue is as good as it will get barring a miracle.Odsal has a great view, but again no cover from the elements and any atmosphere can be lost there pretty easilyThe John Smiths is an international class stadium with a superb playing surface, superb views from almost anywhere and cover from the elements - and its had plenty of atmosphere this season when there has been something to cheer about

Make your mind up sunshine.

It doesnt, because thats not the dealto sit behind the posts (poor view, full face of the elements) its £99 - for a reason, no one wants to sit there. You can get it for £89 if you were there on Saturday.Along the sides its £200 - or £185 if you were there on Saturday.Does that seem more sensible?

#28 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

the hi jacking of Sheffield eagles sl cash set the game back 20 years, sheff had achieved more in their short history than any meaningless shield, hudds deserve nothing
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#29 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

the hi jacking of Sheffield eagles sl cash set the game back 20 years, sheff had achieved more in their short history than any meaningless shield, hudds deserve nothing

Changed direction once again when things don't work out for you. At least it's not in bold any more.

#30 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Make your mind up sunshine.

Learn to read properly sunshine.

#31 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

Bless, are you a bitter Wakey fan? most sheffield fans arent so bitter in my experience - just Wakey fans desperate to push attention of their lying, cheating and ineptitude

usually from an utterly wrong position too.

#32 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

Huddersfield are a model SL club, and are officially heavyweights now, after becoming only the 6th ever club to win the LLS.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'm old enough to remember Huddersfield pulling in attendances in their hundreds and being a pee poor side with it.

And that was in a "traditional" RL ground with all of its supposed atmosphere.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#34 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

And that was in a "traditional" RL ground with all of its supposed atmosphere.

With P&R as well

#35 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Huddersfield are a model SL club, and are officially heavyweights now, after becoming only the 6th ever club to win the LLS.

I'm not sure that I agree. If the model is having a wealthy backer that has pumped in loads and loads of cash then perhaps. If the model is being self sufficient on the back of their own crowds then they're as big a basket case as pretty much every club in the rope few tiers.

#36 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Bradford's 7,000 is better than they were getting as a table topping side pre SL.

Don't be silly!

Before SL gates were massive - P&R, contested scrums, proper Bovril......................................

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

I doubt there's a single club in the SL that is self sufficient on gate money.

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

Bless, are you a bitter Wakey fan? most sheffield fans arent so bitter in my experience - just Wakey fans desperate to push attention of their lying, cheating and ineptitude

usually from an utterly wrong position too.

none of the above- just a realist who doesn't enjoy the game half as much any more and is not afraid to face up to the stark and dire position sl is in, there are no people here with solutions just ostriches looking for some nice soft sand, and before the "why are you here" posts start its because I care about a game I have watched and played since a child and hate to see the mess its heading in to. go back to part time or something, stop competing with money laden sports and take stock at least for a while.

#39 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Don't be silly!

Before SL gates were massive - P&R, contested scrums, proper Bovril......................................

I certainly take your point about the bovril.

#40 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,146 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

none of the above- just a realist who doesn't enjoy the game half as much any more and is not afraid to face up to the stark and dire position sl is in, there are no people here with solutions just ostriches looking for some nice soft sand, and before the "why are you here" posts start its because I care about a game I have watched and played since a child and hate to see the mess its heading in to. go back to part time or something, stop competing with money laden sports and take stock at least for a while.

Do you not enjoy the game as much because you have constructed some delusional alternate history when all was well in the game and wonderful?

You're certainly making stuff up from what I can see

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users