League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Huddersfield?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

none of the above- just a realist who doesn't enjoy the game half as much any more and is not afraid to face up to the stark and dire position sl is in, there are no people here with solutions just ostriches looking for some nice soft sand, and before the "why are you here" posts start its because I care about a game I have watched and played since a child and hate to see the mess its heading in to. go back to part time or something, stop competing with money laden sports and take stock at least for a while.

This is a wind up, right? Go back to part time, really. You think that is a solution worthy of discussion by us ostriches?

#42 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Do Huddersfield bring in good TV ratings and sponsors though?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

This is a wind up, right? Go back to part time, really. You think that is a solution worthy of discussion by us ostriches?

or watch the game go bust?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#44 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

youre mistaking some clubs for the game

#45 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Do Huddersfield bring in good TV ratings and sponsors though?

Im sure Saturday's game was very widely viewed.

#46 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

You think going part time would save the sport from going bust? Genius idea, I'm sure the sponsors and tv channels will pay great money to a part time sport that has basically admitted its 3rd rate at best. Well done you, saved the sport from extinction. We all owe you a massive thanks.

#47 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 855 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

If you compare with Huddersfield football attendance, which benefits from the huge profile the Premier League gives to football, the fact they are in Football League Championship that has some very well supported teams (Leeds, Notts Forest, Sheffield, Derby, Leicester, etc) and hence can swell the crowd when visitors then they are not doing too badly.

Average for Huddersfield football last season was approx. just less than 15000, this season they have a current average of around 13,000.

All in all not that bad I would suggest in comparison given the advantage football has.  The question equally applies to both football and Rugby League in Huddersfield as to how to increase fan base.

As I have said before our comparison and main competitive sports focus has to be with the Football League and Union as to how SL is attracting fans against the huge over powering and all consuming Premier League.

It would seem to me that both those sports leagues (football league and Rugby Union) attract better sponsorship and commercial revenues as the main problem in comparison rather than fan base.  One helped by the Premier League umbrella and the other sport by its huge international game and hence exposure..

As somebody else said previous... success is a key ingredient to increasing the fan base and can not be ignored. That is consistent success and Huddersfield RL are only really just starting that journey of what they will hope is consistent success in the modern era.

Edited by redjonn, 02 September 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#48 latchford albion

latchford albion
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Bedlam Breakout, you used to post as Bionic Barrel right? Two word alliterative user name, Half Man Half Biscuit line as a signature, all or nothing opinions...

#49 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yes it should be discussed especially by you ostriches who are hiding your heads in the sand and ignoring the reality that over half of SL cannot afford full time professionalism and this is driving club after club to the brink. Don't get me wrong, fully pro would be the best outcome BUT if it's unsustainable then alternatives must be considered or the game will be in very serious trouble.

When we were part time the game was watched on terrestrial TV ( BBC) with magazine programs on Granada (ITV) and a major knockout competition sponsored by john Player. The league had sponsors ( Stones Bitter). RU which was amateur, never mind part time pro also got huge exposure for its internationals and tour games.

I don't think Sky care whether the game is fully pro or semi pro so long as it as a good product on the field and available to fill their schedules between football matches.

#50 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,221 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:00 PM

Bradford's 7,000 is better than they were getting as a table topping side pre SL.

But not as good as the huge attendances when they were a top side post WW2. What is your point ? Their attendances are dropping because of a lack of success in comparison to what they were pulling in when they were dominating SL.

#51 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Huddersfield were getting 2-3,000 in 2003, now they are getting around 6-7,000 regularly and got 8,700 yesterday. How can that not be deemed a success? The club has spent much of the previous 40 right down in the lower reaches of the old second division. When I was a kid, Huddersfield were right down there with Blackpool, Huyton and Doncaster.

If they win the GF, they might get 8,000-9,000 over the next year or so. In 2-3 years they may hit 10k. How is this not a success story?

Why quote yesterday's gate to support your point? The home game when they were likely to be presented with the LLS is hardly indicative of the true position. Why not quote the gates against Widnes (4,270), Hull (5,536) or St. Helens (a surprisingly low 5263)?
When, exactly, do they get 'around 6 to 7000 regularly'? Aaah, you're using the word 'regularly' to mean 'when the big teams (Wigan, Leeds, Bulls, Warrington) come and bring their fans'. These are the only 4 SL gates over 6000 they've had this season, besides yesterday's.
2-3000 in 2003. 5-6000 now when winning the league. Success? Could be interpreted as very poor growth considering. Only about 3000 extra people turning up. Does this seem comparable to their improvement in league position?
Lastly, they 'might get 10k'. Equally, they might not.

#52 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:32 PM

Last season we averaged around 8k

This season almost every single club has seen a drop in attendances (mainly due to the wider financial situation)

And lets not forget all season every one has been waiting for the Giants to fail.

As for the Widnes and Hull games, when were they played? What were the wider factors going on - and why have so many teams stopped bringing their fans with them?

#53 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:37 PM

it was very popular 118 years ago...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#54 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:46 PM

Out of interest just what IS the prize for having the best home support?

I assume its something special? Bigger than the Grand Final to some I'd assume from the comments on here

#55 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,718 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Why quote yesterday's gate to support your point? The home game when they were likely to be presented with the LLS is hardly indicative of the true position. Why not quote the gates against Widnes (4,270), Hull (5,536) or St. Helens (a surprisingly low 5263)?
When, exactly, do they get 'around 6 to 7000 regularly'? Aaah, you're using the word 'regularly' to mean 'when the big teams (Wigan, Leeds, Bulls, Warrington) come and bring their fans'. These are the only 4 SL gates over 6000 they've had this season, besides yesterday's.
2-3000 in 2003. 5-6000 now when winning the league. Success? Could be interpreted as very poor growth considering. Only about 3000 extra people turning up. Does this seem comparable to their improvement in league position?
Lastly, they 'might get 10k'. Equally, they might not.

What is Huddersfield's average attendance this season? You seem to have all the figures. I don't have the figures but I would anticipate it being 6-7,000. That's why they call it average. HTH.

Edited by Scubby, 02 September 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#56 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Last season we averaged around 8kThis season almost every single club has seen a drop in attendances (mainly due to the wider financial situation)And lets not forget all season every one has been waiting for the Giants to fail.As for the Widnes and Hull games, when were they played? What were the wider factors going on - and why have so many teams stopped bringing their fans with them?

I don't see what point you're making. We can only speculate on why attendances are generally lower this season. It might be finances, or it might be that the standard of play has been generally so poor. Focussing on the Widnes and Hull games is a red herring. The majority of your home games attracted less than 6000. I just happened to select the 3 that I did as examples. It could have been almost any.
The OP's question was will Huddersfield ever be well supported. I haven't seen any evidence that they will so far. Despite far more success than they have had for decades (and I too remember Fartown in the mid 70s) their average attendance is fairly disappointing and there's no evidence that it will continue to improve. Ths could well be saturation, I.e. it has plateaued and won't go any higher. We'll see.

#57 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,980 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

The OP's question was will Huddersfield ever be well supported. I haven't seen any evidence that they will so far. Despite far more success than they have had for decades (and I too remember Fartown in the mid 70s) their average attendance is fairly disappointing and there's no evidence that it will continue to improve. Ths could well be saturation, I.e. it has plateaued and won't go any higher. We'll see.

Broke the 7000 in.....

2007   7083

2008   7846

2009   7641

2010   7233

2011   7147

2012   7709

2013   6368

No other way to put it than dissapointing

#58 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

What is Huddersfield's average attendance this season? You seem to have all the figures. I don't have the figures but I would anticipate it being 6-7,000. That's why they call it average. HTH.

'Average' refers to any measure of the mid-point in a set of data and could refer to either the mean (6368), mode (not applicable to this data) or median (5641). With this particular set of data I would suggest that the median is arguably the most appropriate as the mean of 6368 has only been exceeded 5 times in the 13 home games so is not a true mid point (though it is valid, of course) whereas the median has 6 totals above it and 6 below, so could be thought to represent a more accurate mid point.
Hope this helps you.

#59 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Huddersfield are truly a disgrace, they have always been a disgrace, they were a disgrace when they propped the league up, they are a disgrace now they have finally won something,. Their ground at Fartown was a disgrace for being old and decrepit, the new ground is a disgrace because it is too big and soulless, They are a complete disgrace for having a wealthy chairman who obviously cares about Rugby league, not to mention having tripled their gates in about 10/12 years.

Thank heaven It's not the Wire ,Wigan, Leeds ,Hull and Saints fans who have been so generous in their congratulations who think so. There are always going to be the Larry's and the wollo's to poor score on anybody who gets a bit of success, They would be a lot better worrying about Wakeys present situation than about the Giants crowd, But then again Wakey's problems are bound to be down to the Giants in some way.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#60 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Broke the 7000 in.....

2007   7083
2008   7846
2009   7641
2010   7233
2011   7147
2012   7709
2013   6368

No other way to put it than dissapointing

Thank you. I speculated that attendances may have plateaued when in fact attendances have consistently fallen from their 2008 peak every year apart from the single anomaly in 2012. Most illuminating. So I think we can safely conclude that Huddersfield's attendances are not improving despite increasing on field success and we have the answer to the OP's question.
So, how do we explain why attendances bucked the clear trend in 2012, when there was a 'wider financial situation' apparently?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users