Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Huddersfield?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#81 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

Probably. But the point is that Huddersfield have had 'massive success' already, at least comparatively, with 2 cup finals and a league title. How much more success do they want before these mystery thousands start turning up? Any potential Huddersfield spectator that is waiting on the sidelines for more than that before committing is going to be very hard to please and, I would suggest, will not keep attending if they revert to being a struggling lower mid table team.

No they certainly won't stay around for loyalties sake. Bradford have proven that and Halifax and Keighley and Featherstone. However once the upward curve begins and the team is increasingly successful they will return as is also demonstrated at Fev, Warrington, Widnes and even Leeds. Huddersfield have substantially increased their attendances since the dark days of the barracudas and the cellar dwelling SL team, but have not yet reached the top of the success curve and there is 60 years of failure to overcome.

I truly believe that if they win the GF their attendances will move towards the 8 to 10 000 level. No one can really know though. Winning the GF will be a start and we will see what happens following that.

#82 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

On what planet have Huddersfield had massive success?

Who are you trying to kid

Mildly competitive for a year or two is not massive success - to many posters winning the LLS isn't even remotely success either!

Your just a sad bitter sod who can't stand that the whipping boys of old have topped the table

#83 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

On what planet have Huddersfield had massive success?
Who are you trying to kid
Mildly competitive for a year or two is not massive success - to many posters winning the LLS isn't even remotely success either!
Your just a sad bitter sod who can't stand that the whipping boys of old have topped the table

You aren't picking up on the subtleties of what I have said. I said ''massive success', comparatively speaking, with 2 cup finals and a league title'. Why pick a tiny bit of a sentence? Huddersfield have had more success over the last 10 years than their most optimistic fans could probably have dreamt of, peaking this year, yet crowds are decreasing year on year. Fact.
Whipping boys? I'm a York fan, FFS! I have little to no interest in who tops the Super League table, nor ever have. Not because I don't think it's a valuable thing to win, but because my team isn't in with a chance. Please stop feeling sorry for yourself and making assumptions that aren't there.

#84 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

yet crowds are decreasing year on year. Fact.

Except last year when they increased.

#85 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:23 AM

What sort of attendances do the Huddersfield detractors think Hull KR would get if they were a trophy winning team? They would struggle to break 8,000 to 9,000 if they were lucky. Would that be acceptable or not?

rldfsignature.jpg

#86 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,886 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Thank you. I speculated that attendances may have plateaued when in fact attendances have consistently fallen from their 2008 peak every year apart from the single anomaly in 2012. Most illuminating. So I think we can safely conclude that Huddersfield's attendances are not improving despite increasing on field success and we have the answer to the OP's question.
So, how do we explain why attendances bucked the clear trend in 2012, when there was a 'wider financial situation' apparently?

Because the club had such as 9,000 for Widnes and 10,000 for Hull and Wigan in 2012.

Who knows, maybe they created an impetus by leading the league, and as they badly fell away so did the top end of the crowds who are always the ones who start go when clubs look like they may win something. Maybe this year the the flakey ones felt the club would just fall away again because everyone was saying they would. Nobody knows exactly, I guess like a team a crowd can I suppose "get on a roll"

Success brings 5-15000K and failure brings 2-8000K in Superleague depending on who you are.

The project in Superleague for all clubs to get 10,000 plus fans is over now. The market for professional RL is proven as one which is limited and depends on on field success, and I think SLclubs/RFL have now accepted that, and so licensing, standards, closed shop is to be abandoned.

The more we lament the numbers that don't go rather than celebrate those who do go to a smaller version of Pro Rugby still stuck mainly in the north, the more the negativity gets on a roll. Watching a 9,000 Fartown crowd celebrate a piece of silverware was actually great.

Huddersfield Barracudas.v.Mansfield 1987 attendance 360.

Edited by The Parksider, 03 September 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#87 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 605 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

I like how when Wigan / Warrington win the LLS it is a massive success and some Said on here that they would rather win that than the GF. Yet when Huddersfield win the league it means nothing.

Personally I think winning the league is a great achievement and should be considered a success. The main prize is of course the GF but that shouldn't have to take anything away from topping the league.

I have been to a few Huddersfield games this season and enjoyed it. The atmosphere was good. I had no complaints on any of my visits.

Well done Huddersfield (from a Batley / Leeds fan).

#88 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:22 AM

No they certainly won't stay around for loyalties sake. Bradford have proven that and Halifax and Keighley.

Except they will, to a degree anyway. Bradford got 7K on Sunday against London, a game that was about as attractive as a poke in the eye, even beforehand. This is considerably more than when they were champions in the 80's. Bradford are going through some poor seasons and there is certainly no glory around at present. Any glory hunters are over at Valley Parade lately.

So it might stick in your Bradford hating craw but these fans are staying around for loyalties sake.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#89 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Where are the other 7k that used to go?

#90 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,886 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Except they will, to a degree anyway. Bradford got 7K on Sunday against London, a game that was about as attractive as a poke in the eye, even beforehand. This is considerably more than when they were champions in the 80's. Bradford are going through some poor seasons and there is certainly no glory around at present. Any glory hunters are over at Valley Parade lately.

So it might stick in your Bradford hating craw but these fans are staying around for loyalties sake.

Agree entirely. Professional RL has lifted the level of both regular ("loyal") fans and occasional fans. It's in the figures.

#91 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,886 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

At home, in bed, on holiday, out shopping, at work, out for a walk the list is endless.....

#92 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Doing other things clearly, why? I am referring to the dedicated fan base not the floating voters.

#93 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,777 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

One thing separating Huddersfield and the other top clubs is the missing generation factor. Between the mid 70s and mid 90s Huddersfield were a very poor team and has virtually lost its fanbase. They have had to work up from scratch. This is simply not the case with any other club in SL. I think they still need a few years more success to really cement a large hardcore bedrock. Also they hadnt really won anything major until the LLS.

#94 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

One thing separating Huddersfield and the other top clubs is the missing generation factor. Between the mid 70s and mid 90s Huddersfield were a very poor team and has virtually lost its fanbase. They have had to work up from scratch. This is simply not the case with any other club in SL. I think they still need a few years more success to really cement a large hardcore bedrock. Also they hadnt really won anything major until the LLS.

Not necessarily. I had absolutely nothing connecting me to Bradford Northern or RL until the SL era, no one in my family is a fan or anything. . If I hadn't seen a certain game at a certain time and got into it (I was genuinely unaware of the SL furore) I would possibly never have got into the game.

#95 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,369 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

First of all well done Huddersfield a great achievement that for me doesnt get the respect it should do. Finishing top is harder to do than win 2 or 3 games in the playoffs to be crowned champions. Just my opinion but thems the rules.

Should we not be looking at all areas instead of just crowds that bother to turn up? For instance the state of the amateur and junior leagues in Huddersfield (Not Kirklees which includes Batley and Dewsbury). The game is slowly developing and growing in Huddersfield, but its still some way off from being a Rugby town that the likes of Halifax, Wakefield, Hull etc are known as. Huddersfield Giants have done well and have enjoyed more success with the help of Ken Davy than most. Sadly for him despite throwing tickets cheaply around and the success enjoyed,  the people of Huddersfield have not exactly been coming down in vast numbers and this has frustrated him at times. He even has done a video in the last Pre Season begging/urging people to get Season tickets. And I am sure he wrote something on a  fans supporters group page in the past 2 years about getting more people to turn up. Though I dont think the Stadium helps as I personally find it lacks atmosphere and a place you want to be at- like most modern Stadiums.

The amateur scene in Huddersfield is still quite weak and doesnt possess a club in the National Conference whilst the smaller towns like Halifax (3), Castleford (2) and even Dewsbury (2) contain a couple each.With Huddersfield not having a strong amateur scene except for maybe Newsome, they often have to look outside the town to bring through quality youngsters often going to Siddal, Elland etc. Clubs like Wigan, St.Helens, Castleford, Leeds and Wakefield dont have such a problem as they all have strong amateur clubs in the town to draw talent from as well as looking elsewhere. I dont think Huddersfield can even get close to being a RUgby town for many years sadly mainly due to the amateur scene rather than whats happening at the Pro club.

Huddersfield concern must be what happens when Mr Davy goes as he is 72 years old I believe and with respect may not be around in 5 or 10 years. And this is my concern with any club that relies so much on a money man not just Huddersfield. Having somebody put in a million or so is all well and good. But what happens if he leaves for what ever reason? Seen it many times in various sports the club then goes in to freefall or runs up big debts trying to stay the same. Hopefully Huddersfield have a plan or some cash left to them to help them out. My advice to Huddersfield fans is enjoy the success and if people want to have a go let them. Things can change very quickly but the memories of winning the league or playing in a Cup Final will last till you die.

#96 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Huddersfield are truly a disgrace, they have always been a disgrace, they were a disgrace when they propped the league up, they are a disgrace now they have finally won something,. Their ground at Fartown was a disgrace for being old and decrepit, the new ground is a disgrace because it is too big and soulless, They are a complete disgrace for having a wealthy chairman who obviously cares about Rugby league, not to mention having tripled their gates in about 10/12 years.

Thank heaven It's not the Wire ,Wigan, Leeds ,Hull and Saints fans who have been so generous in their congratulations who think so. There are always going to be the Larry's and the wollo's to poor score on anybody who gets a bit of success, They would be a lot better worrying about Wakeys present situation than about the Giants crowd, But then again Wakey's problems are bound to be down to the Giants in some way.

Knowsley Road was often ridiculed on this forum as well as the new ground coming in for criticism. There is no pleasing some rugby league supporters, no matter what. Trolling does go on but very subtle to disguise it. Huddersfield have come a long way from when propping up the league, although topping the league is treated with indifference at times, depending on one's rose-tinted glasses. 

Attendances are important, but what will be will be. Apart from looking at all aspects of promoting a club, you cannot march people through the turnstiles. For now, enjoy your success and I do hope that Huddersfield win the GF. 

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#97 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,665 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

On what is in effect the last weekend of the summer hols, I wonder how many potential attendees had other priorities and demands on their time and wallets. Was the game on Sky and if so, any viewing figures yet?

Anyone who thinks that the LLS is worthless should tell that to Ken Davy, who was clearly overjoyed , if the coverage on The Super League show is anything to go by.

Of course, like all of us ( except maybe Lobby who will still be going on about P & R in 250 years time) Davy is mortal, as are all the other benefactors in our game. Even if a club could manage without  a benefactor, fans are fickle so I'd worry about them leaving in droves in ten years time, too, if something major change, like a restructuring of the league, or a change in leadership

#98 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

Bless, are you a bitter Wakey fan? most sheffield fans arent so bitter in my experience - just Wakey fans desperate to push attention of their lying, cheating and ineptitude

usually from an utterly wrong position too.

To be fair, us Sheffield fans are a little bit bitter, but time is a great healer. At the time most Huddersfield fans were against the merger as well - nobody wanted it. That it saved Huddersfield's SL existence and consigned us (via a new club formed due to fan pressure) to the lower leagues still rankles, but there's no point in whining about it now. It happened, the new Eagles are still here and have been a success, so all is good with the world (whether or not we ever make it back to SL).
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#99 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:57 AM

If it helps is Huddersfield fans are bitter too

I'm mainly bitter it's just us that cop it and not Hull though, at least we sort of tried to support RL in Sheffield

#100 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

However Knowsley Road was one of the worst grounds in RL. Saints moved to a new ground and average attendances leapt to 14000 in the first season. Even in this relatively poor season they get 11 000. Giants already have the ground, yet attendances are still awful.

Err no it wasn't, Bell vue, Wheldon Road, Craven Park (before the current improvements, wilderspool, and Odsal? It wasn't of the worse it was about the average standard

It is a myth the Knowsley road was the only dump in super league, there at three other dumps currently called stadiums, which either of these clubs would be thankful if they were playing at Knowsley road as a home venue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users