TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Huddersfield?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#101 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

I have just one question to ask these bitter Wakey fans, If Wakefield United were pulling in 15,000 fans a week do you truely believe that trinity would have managed to increase their crowds as they have ? ( which by the way is a credit to them ) my answer is they have done it the way we did it, to get to ave 8,000, by cheap tickets and any other means they could think of, Fair enough they wasted it all in the last 2 years with the N Brown saga and the collapses that occurred, But i well remember all the taunting and ###### about K Davy  having to give tickets away to get people to watch such  a sh*te side, and yet, low and behold we find Wakey now doing exactly the same.

Next thing will be Salford will have been stealing their players, Not saving their bacon by paying for Tim Smith, I hope that Wakey's new stadium has the same effect for them as Wire's had, It didn't happen for us, but that doesn't stop us wishing it had and trying to get there the best way we can, Wire spent a few years where we are now, and yet look at them now, right at the top of the game.

K Davy is doing everything he can to get the crowds up, and although it's a slow process he is still there backing the club , The 5,000 hardcore fans who turn up year after year are a lot less obsessed about it than a few fans from other clubs, We know the genuine fans who have had lot's of success wish us well and that will do for me.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#102 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

What will it take to stop Larry from trolling?

What causes it? Is he just so crushingly jealous, bitter, unfulfilled?

Is there some other reason?

Does he just need a hug?

Hi Ant this is what you get for Having a Top team .Get used to it and enjoy the success

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#103 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

How big were Huddersfield's gates in the early/mid 60s?
Clubs that didn't see too long a wilderness period-Leeds,Saints,Wigan,Warrington -are back to those types of numbers.so I think that would be a reasonable longer term target for them (and Halifax and Oldham if they ever get back)

#104 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I can got back to mid 50s and Huddersfield alwayshad a good following rigt through the 60s.Although most clubs did back in those days.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#105 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

Just to add to the mix it appears that Ken Davy has now returned Huddersfield Town's share (40%) in the ground to them for a nominal payment plus the repayment of £2M of outstanding personal loans. It is said that this will now allow the planned development of the area around the ground to go ahead as originally planned.

Might this help in making the stadium a more attractive venue for new spectators (as distinct from flatcappers who don't like this modern rubbish!).

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#106 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

One thing separating Huddersfield and the other top clubs is the missing generation factor. Between the mid 70s and mid 90s Huddersfield were a very poor team and has virtually lost its fanbase. They have had to work up from scratch. This is simply not the case with any other club in SL. I think they still need a few years more success to really cement a large hardcore bedrock. Also they hadnt really won anything major until the LLS.

#107 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,690 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

One thing separating Huddersfield and the other top clubs is the missing generation factor. Between the mid 70s and mid 90s Huddersfield were a very poor team and has virtually lost its fanbase. They have had to work up from scratch. This is simply not the case with any other club in SL. I think they still need a few years more success to really cement a large hardcore bedrock. Also they hadnt really won anything major until the LLS.

I think that's very correct indeed. We did see Hull & HKR lose many fans from their heady days of 1982 to Superleague when neither got in. That was 14 years. they came back.

Fartowns wildreness years were maybe more like twice that long so great point

#108 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

You posted this earlier...are you a spambot?  :ph34r:

#109 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,690 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

I have just one question to ask these bitter Wakey fans, If Wakefield United were pulling in 15,000 fans a week do you truely believe that trinity would have managed to increase their crowds as they have ?  my answer is they have done it the way we did it, to get to ave 8,000, by cheap tickets and any other means they could think of, i well remember all the taunting and ###### about K Davy  having to give tickets away to get people to watch such  a sh*te side, and yet, low and behold we find Wakey now doing exactly the same.

This as well.....

#110 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:31 PM

You posted this earlier...are you a spambot? :ph34r:

The first time I tried sending the page hung. Must have somehow posted twice....

#111 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

Who for instance would ever have thought that Brett Ferres would ever in his career be capable of playing as well as he has been recently (come on Wakefield and Bradford fans surely you remember?)

Crikey, if ever a light bulb went off while reading a post it was this.

I thought he was well below average during his time at Bradford (and that's including the disparity in the Bulls from 2005 to now), he was a squad filler who I thought was near a lucky bounce or in the right place at the right time for at least half of his tries. The same whenever I saw him for Wakefield, and I even forgot he was at Castleford, but he has literally transformed into the player he is now. And while the rest of your post has a negative tone, the quoted line struck a chord.

The Giants may be over-achieving at the moment, but in this team every single regular player* has improved a huge amount this season from the last two or three. Hell, one even managed not to walk out on his team mates this year.

[* Fielden aside.]

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#112 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:08 PM

The majority of the squad were as good last season and the season before - at least until Brown started tinkering and threw it all into disarray

#113 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:10 PM

What will it take to stop Larry from trolling?

What causes it? Is he just so crushingly jealous, bitter, unfulfilled?

Is there some other reason?

Does he just need a hug?

Rhuby isn't one to sit on the fence.

Not since some driver scattered it all over his garden anyway.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#114 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Rhuby isn't one to sit on the fence.

Not since some driver scattered it all over his garden anyway.

#boom
The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#115 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

The majority of the squad were as good last season and the season before - at least until Brown started tinkering and threw it all into disarray

Grix has all but stamped out his ability to brain fart in the last 3 months, in 2012 Murphy was in and out and behind George, I think Lawrence was here there and everywhere, Robinson was at hooker and Lunt was wrongly sent out - he's still better this season than last.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#116 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Lunt came back from Leeds an absolutely outstanding player

IMO he is a very good reason for our success this season & should be playing for England in the Autumn

#117 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

Err no it wasn't, Bell vue, Wheldon Road, Craven Park (before the current improvements, wilderspool, and Odsal? It wasn't of the worse it was about the average standard
It is a myth the Knowsley road was the only dump in super league, there at three other dumps currently called stadiums, which either of these clubs would be thankful if they were playing at Knowsley road as a home venue.

I said 'one of the worst' not 'the worst'. Just because other grounds were arguably worse doesn't mean that Knowsley Road wasn't one of the worst. Anyway, words like best and worst are purely subjective opinions and as such can only be challenged by other subjective opinions. I've watched many games in all those grounds mentioned and would honestly prefer any of them to Knowsley Road ( well maybe with the exception of Bell Vue, where the one thing that can't be had is a good view). My other half is from Kent and follows Super League mainly on the telly. We often make a trip up North to take in a game and she's now been to every ground except Salford (sorry Salford fans). Knowsley Road is the only ground that she's ever complained about, though to be fair she never got to see either the Boulevard or Huyton. She simply could not believe that such a glamorous team were playing in such a decrepit stadium, and I had to agree with her.

#118 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

Just to add to the mix it appears that Ken Davy has now returned Huddersfield Town's share (40%) in the ground to them for a nominal payment plus the repayment of £2M of outstanding personal loans. It is said that this will now allow the planned development of the area around the ground to go ahead as originally planned.

Might this help in making the stadium a more attractive venue for new spectators (as distinct from flatcappers who don't like this modern rubbish!).

It won't hurt anyway, It could become quite a decent sporting and entertainment complex, If there are enough attractions to get people making a day of it the more chance there is of them taking in a game, plus with Hotels as well, the ground becomes more attractive for visiting teams maybe, I'm thinking of teams like London, Dragons and Internationals,

Of course it has all to be built, but i do believe it was a part of the original scheme and I think there is every chance it will come off. It would have been nice to incorporate the new Sports centre that is just getting started, but maybe the thinking is that needs to be a bit more central.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#119 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

I can got back to mid 50s and Huddersfield alwayshad a good following rigt through the 60s.Although most clubs did back in those days.

Watched my first match in 1946, and I find it so sad to see the disparity of support that Huddersfield get for their home games.

I can recall when the Fartown ground was full to capacity almost every home game and although a Leigh fan my favourites were the Huddersfield side of the late forties and early fifties with Hunter, Devery, Cooper, Valentine, Pepperel, etc in the team, they were the entertainers and always a joy to see, for either Huddersfield or the Other Nationalities sides that they graced with their involvement too. 

Great players, great team, great times.

#120 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

Same could be said of most clubs.
Wigan's record crowd was over 47000 v Saints. Those days are gone!
I've been at Goodison Park when there's been over 70000 on. Those days are gone.
Man U crowds have gone up as have Arsenal since they moved from the Highbury Library!

Hudds got around 8700 for the Wakey game and they saw their team win the League.
Hopefully that feel good factor will persuade those fans to buy a season ticket for next year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users