League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Will Rugby League ever be popular in Huddersfield?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

My point about the early 60's is that for most SL clubs the average gate is now back to those levels.To get back to a late '40s/early '50s level or above it  is probably impossible (maybe only Man U n Arsenal have achieved that) but Saints/Leeds/Wigan/Warrigton/Hull/Bradford have shown a sucessful modern era team can get into the 10-20k average bracket depending upon its catchment area.

This is where they were in the early 60's (I think Saints average gate last season was the highest since 1960/61) and the last time we averaged above 11,000 prior to 2012 was in the 62/63 season.

Clearly the "missing generations" factor is a major issue.You can see it somewhat with Wakefield and Widnes and maybe Hull KR but none suffered anything like the wilderness years of Huddersfield.

#122 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Watched my first match in 1946, and I find it so sad to see the disparity of support that Huddersfield get for their home games.

I can recall when the Fartown ground was full to capacity almost every home game

It probably wasn't even close to full for most games.

If you look at actual attendances from back then you'd find big variations.   You might get 20,000 for the visit of Wigan one week, and then the next week only 5,000 would watch the visit of Keighley.

That's me.  I'm done.

#123 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

My point about the early 60's is that for most SL clubs the average gate is now back to those levels.To get back to a late '40s/early '50s level or above it  is probably impossible (maybe only Man U n Arsenal have achieved that)

Attendances in the Premier League have been comparable to 1950s levels in the old Division One for about ten years now.  The highest average attendance in the history of English football was Manchester United in 2007, when they pulled in 75,826.

http://www.european-...tatistics.co.uk

That's me.  I'm done.

#124 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Why quote yesterday's gate to support your point? The home game when they were likely to be presented with the LLS is hardly indicative of the true position. Why not quote the gates against Widnes (4,270), Hull (5,536) or St. Helens (a surprisingly low 5263)?
When, exactly, do they get 'around 6 to 7000 regularly'? Aaah, you're using the word 'regularly' to mean 'when the big teams (Wigan, Leeds, Bulls, Warrington) come and bring their fans'. These are the only 4 SL gates over 6000 they've had this season, besides yesterday's.
2-3000 in 2003. 5-6000 now when winning the league. Success? Could be interpreted as very poor growth considering. Only about 3000 extra people turning up. Does this seem comparable to their improvement in league position?
Lastly, they 'might get 10k'. Equally, they might not.

Sorry to jump in here but..................Double your gates in 10 years is very good in my book, if they do it again built on regular success on the field then 10'000-12'000 in 2023 could be achieved. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users