Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who should replace Wakefield Trinity in Superleague 2014 ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Just for balance. I'm not sure of what to make of the current goings on at Belle Vue.

On the plus side the Elston's/Glover myth has been exposed, but the already thin squad is being picked off and Mr Carter is no Ken Davey.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 02 September 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#2 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Just for balance. I'm not sure of what to make of the current goings on at Belle Vue.

On the plus side the Elston's/Glover myth has been exposed, but the already thin squad is being picked off and Mr Carter is no Ken Davey.

Fev, obviously.  We'll pipe up and offer to replace anyone.

#3 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

Serously though, it's a worrying time for Wakey (who i've always regarded as my "2nd team"), hope things get sorted.

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

its just another sad situation caused by money in sport, if wakey do survive , what will the fans be watching? another 3rd rate team making up the numbers in sl without a realistic hope of Wembley or old Trafford, money is ruining sport and rl is one of the sports that cant keep taking financial batterings

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

Good interview. Seems to have the right approach to running the club. If we can't afford to be in SL then so be it, but we've got more chance of being able to afford to be in SL if we run the club as a sensible business.

#6 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Will the crowds stay up once the cheap tickets are gone?

#7 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Will the crowds stay up once the cheap tickets are gone?

Be interesting to see. We're likely to struggle next year, so that will impact on crowds, but tickets are too cheap. Carter mentioned that Giants' season tickets are £99, with £15 off if you bought one yesterday. £84 for 13 Super League matches? How can that stack up?

He said that the Wakey budget for 2014 is based on maintaining gate receipts, so with an increase in ticket prices, they need less than the 4,000 season ticket holders than they had this year.

#8 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

It doesnt, because thats not the deal

to sit behind the posts (poor view, full face of the elements) its £99 - for a reason, no one wants to sit there. You can get it for £89 if you were there on Saturday.

Along the sides its £200 - or £185 if you were there on Saturday.

Does that seem more sensible?

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

Why does Carter seem so interested at what is happening elsewhere?

#10 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

I take it that just don't get Carter.

#11 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Boom, boom!

#12 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

I would guess that he is looking at other clubs to see how they do things, to see what is appropriate for Wakey. Seems sensible to me. As he says, he's new to the sport, so doesn't claim to know everything about rugby league, hence his reason for keeping Elston on at Wakey - not that that fills me with confidence!

#13 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

I would guess that he is looking at other clubs to see how they do things, to see what is appropriate for Wakey. Seems sensible to me. As he says, he's new to the sport, so doesn't claim to know everything about rugby league, hence his reason for keeping Elston on at Wakey - not that that fills me with confidence!

i agree use them to learn - both good and bad, im not sure why any other clubs business should be quoted by another club. You dont see/hear it often.

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:00 PM

Sadly Wakefield must be suffering from a long history of broken promises and downright lies. This is no reflection upon the present incumbents but the number of times over many years that Wakefield have been shown to be totally disingenuous about their finances/ground/backers must lead to much shaking of heads until their future status truly becomes clear.

Does anyone really believe, for example, that the new ground will ever be built?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Sadly Wakefield must be suffering from a long history of broken promises and downright lies. This is no reflection upon the present incumbents but the number of times over many years that Wakefield have been shown to be totally disingenuous about their finances/ground/backers must lead to much shaking of heads until their future status truly becomes clear.

Does anyone really believe, for example, that the new ground will ever be built?

Yep! Not sure on timescales, but as I understand it, only a small part of the site can be developed until after the stadium has been built, so there are financial drivers for others to build the stadium. However with the current economic situation, it's not going to be a priority for development in the very short-term.

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

Don't forget, though, Wakefield had their primary shirt sponsor go bust half way through the season, leaving what was bound to have been a gaping hole in their budget for this year.  If Typhoo went bust Saints would feel it and Saints have a new stadium with resulting additional income streams and multiple sponsorships.

#17 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

That's about the only thing I believe with any degree of certainty. The people that have sorted out the ground are separate to the club, and as such have had to do things properly.

#18 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:37 PM

And then Fev will move in

#19 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Carter will have set his budget and he has announced that the U19s will go full time next year.
That will bring quite an increase in costs I'd have thought so he must be certain that he can afford it.
I know they started a lottery or similar to fund the U19s, maybe it's that income which has decided Carter he can afford it. Otherwise the U19s full time is out of context with the message in the statement.

#20 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

Not a lot of people know that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users