Photo
- - - - -

Who should replace Wakefield Trinity in Superleague 2014 ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

leigh..........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Agree Viking - needs a club from WEST of the Pennines to square up.

#23 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

A merged Calder team.

#24 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

A merged Calder team.

Any chance we can get that C word added to the swear filter?

#25 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 693 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

If it isn't Fev then no-one else is good enough IMO. Anyone who thinks Leigh / Fax have as much chance of being successful in SL are in dream world.

#26 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:22 AM

Yep! Not sure on timescales, but as I understand it, only a small part of the site can be developed until after the stadium has been built, so there are financial drivers for others to build the stadium. However with the current economic situation, it's not going to be a priority for development in the very short-term.

But form a financing and long term loaning of investment monies now is the "best of times" with historically low interest rates on the financial markets.  It will never be so favourable a time as the financial markets will move soon with the improved economic conditions.

If it doesn't make financial sense now it never will.

Edited by redjonn, 03 September 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#27 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

with the way super league is going we will be lucky to have 12 team by 2015.It seem every other week theres a club in crisis this year. We have bradford , salford , rumblings at hull kr and now wakefield not to mention london. I think the sooner we cut to 12 the the better and lets the teams who cant compete drop down. If feateherstone can prove there finances let them come up give them ago, before there investors get bored and walk away in frustration.   

Chief Crazy Eagle

#28 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:29 AM

12? The sooner we cut to 10 the better. Maybe even fewer.

Leeds
Wigan
Warrington
Sts
Hull
Cats
Huddersfield
Hull KR
A.N. Other French Club
Combined Cumbrian Team (let people whine but do it anyway)

#29 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:33 AM

Leeds
Wigan
Warrington
Sts
Hull
Cats
Huddersfield
Hull KR
A.N. Other French Club

I agree with ten Ive been bang that drum for years hence my chat name but people seem to be against it while clubs are struggling along. Ten seems right its just a matter of which ten.

Chief Crazy Eagle

#30 Big Red Keev

Big Red Keev
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Why would you have both Hull clubs and then insist on a combined Cumbrian team??

#31 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Why would you have both Hull clubs and then insist on a combined Cumbrian team??

Because you've got to start somewhere. It doesn't have to be a combined Cumbrian team, it could be Wakefield/whoever, but at some point the clubs who currently are the most "successful" are going to have to cut bait from the rest in order to grow. I've become disillusioned not by the game but by the sheer stupidity in trying to please everyone all the time and this is what this 8x3 nonsense is.
I'd make punishments ridiculously punitive; players not paid - their contracts are null and void, non-payment of taxes - instant relegation that kind of thing.
Failure is tolerated because people are scared of how it looks, heartstrings are tugged with the premise that 34 blokes playing catch with an oval ball actually matters.

Edited by archibald, 03 September 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#32 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

leigh..........

Ive alway's liked Leigh .Ive alway's found their fans very friendly and chatty

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#33 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Leeds
Wigan
Warrington
Sts
Hull
Cats
Huddersfield
Hull KR
A.N. Other French Club

Why would you exclude a cashed up Salford, with an investor and a new stadium and recruiting players aplenty and catering to the Manunian megapolis.?

#34 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

Why would you exclude a cashed up Salford, with an investor and a new stadium and recruiting players aplenty and catering to the Manunian megapolis.?

See. This is what I'm talking about, why not them? why them? It doesn't matter which 8,9,10 but you're better off starting with the "bigger" clubs then take it from there. Salford have been catering to the Mancunian metropolis for years and they've done little.

#35 Forever Trinity

Forever Trinity
  • Coach
  • 635 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:01 AM

Carter will have set his budget and he has announced that the U19s will go full time next year.
That will bring quite an increase in costs I'd have thought so he must be certain that he can afford it.
I know they started a lottery or similar to fund the U19s, maybe it's that income which has decided Carter he can afford it. Otherwise the U19s full time is out of context with the message in the statement.

They will be full time college students who as part of their course will benefit from full time training its a college set up by the club plus the lottery funds the development of the younger players.

Edited by Forever Trinity, 04 September 2013 - 05:01 AM.

#36 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

They will be full time college students who as part of their course will benefit from full time training its a college set up by the club plus the lottery funds the development of the younger players.

Presumably as a college, Wakey get a fee for every full- time student studying there. Is that how it works?

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,506 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

See. This is what I'm talking about, why not them? why them? It doesn't matter which 8,9,10 but you're better off starting with the "bigger" clubs then take it from there. Salford have been catering to the Mancunian metropolis for years and they've done little.

You were talking money by advocating a reduction to 10 which gives each of the ten approx £2.5M more money.

Then you advocate a combined Cumbria where none of the directors have any money to put in, so that will fail on low crowds, whilst excluding Salford whose director has and is putting in £Millions before you very eyes.

You also exclude the Wakefield area in which there are 20,000 RL fans who'll pay to watch the SL game

Of course the 8,9,10 matters.

If combining clubs is part of your solution Hull/HKR, Cas/Fev/Wakey, Bradford/Halifax/Hudds etc etc.

#38 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

(1)You were talking money by advocating a reduction to 10 which gives each of the ten approx £2.5M more money.

(2)Then you advocate a combined Cumbria where none of the directors have any money to put in, so that will fail on low crowds, whilst excluding Salford whose director has and is putting in £Millions before you very eyes.

(3)You also exclude the Wakefield area in which there are 20,000 RL fans who'll pay to watch the SL game

(4)Of course the 8,9,10 matters.

(5)If combining clubs is part of your solution Hull/HKR, Cas/Fev/Wakey, Bradford/Halifax/Hudds etc etc.

(1) Where did i talk money?

(2) I wasn't clear, I didn't mean a merger. Still, if everyone's getting an extra £2.5m that'll help. So far he's bought Adrian Morley.

(3)Yes, I excluded them from my initial list, yet there they are a couple of posts later. So, thats almost half of the 20k back, now if only they can pay their bills.

(4) Not really if you're having a "year zero", but wait, oh look, there it is; 

It doesn't matter which 8,9,10 but you're better off starting with the "bigger" clubs then take it from there 

(5)So it's everyone or no-one?

#39 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Worryingly, I had heard a couple of months ago from someone generally in the know about things that SL would be down to 12 teams next year (losing London and Wakefield). This was round about the time of talk of a winding up petition (http://www1.skysport...-up-order-fears), but I'd already read the statement allaying the fears and figured it would be OK. Perhaps not.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

why should anyone replace Wakefield in any event? Any substitute club from the Championship is sure to be in a worse position.

Anyway, let nature take its course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users