TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

New Coach Required

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#1 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

http://www.barrowrlf...ils.asp?id=1281

#2 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

wonder if this is connected to his dads retirement from the BOD?

Anyway I would like to thank Darren for all his work and endeavours both as a player and as head coach and wish him all the best for the future and hope he combats and beats the big C.

Many thanks Darren

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#3 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

I'm disappointed. Of course we don't know exactly what has happened, but it seems to me that Darren did a good job considering the situation.
Cresta is the obvious candidate. Then there is Dave Clark ( and Garry Schofield!)
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

I'm disappointed. Of course we don't know exactly what has happened, but it seems to me that Darren did a good job considering the situation.
Cresta is the obvious candidate. Then there is Dave Clark ( and Garry Schofield!)

The big question here is Does Cresta WANT the job?

#5 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

I think that Darren has done a good job for us and I would like to thank and wish him well,however I was not sure he if he was the right man to take us forward into the next chapter.

Speaks volumes of his love and committment to the club in putting money into the floodlight fund,respect and good luck on your future Darren.

#6 pennington

pennington
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

I would love to see rather cresta or dave Clark but with dave Clark I would not want to become wigan reserve side.

#7 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Kurt Haggerty is doing a good job coaching Pilkington Recs.
But I don't think player / coach really works.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:10 PM

Is Cresta in Australia at the moment with BARLA?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#9 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Peter Roe looking for a coaching role apparently.

Plenty of experience and would do a good job IMO.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#10 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Speaks volumes of his love and committment to the club in putting money into the floodlight fund,respect and good luck on your future Darren.

Totally agree.

Good luck Darren.

R.Payne

Posted Image

#11 off the wall

off the wall
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

what about Broadbent? only a thought. loads of respect.

and good luck Darren for the future. in health and venture.

#12 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Agree with all the messages on this stream and any other about Darren. May I just add my very best wishes to you, Louise and the boys and I hope everything works out well for you.

Posted Image

#13 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

what a shocking bit of news ,always thought he done a top job for you guys.good luck Holty.

COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#14 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

what a shocking bit of news ,always thought he done a top job for you guys.good luck Holty.

I had heard this news on Sunday, very shortly after the game and could hardly believe it.
Kept my mouth shut, and although eager to put finger to keyboard didnt say a word as I was always hoping it wasnt true.
An outstanding servant to the club IMHO, both as a player and coach. Only ever wanting the best for the club. As others have said, only the club at heart donating the money to the flood light appeal.
I wish you well Darren, both in your personal life getting through the health issues recently made public and also in (if any) future rugby positions you may or may not take up.
Bill

#15 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's surprising Bill because as far as I am aware the Board meeting wasn't held until Monday evening.

Posted Image

#16 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

I also heard the rumour Monday morning

Lee Morton

#17 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

That's surprising Bill because as far as I am aware the Board meeting wasn't held until Monday evening.

You are absolutely correct Michael, it wasnt held until Monday but you know more than others, having been there, know that these decisions arent taken lightly and usually have some thought put into them before hand.

Do you honestly believe that a meeting was held and during the meeting, and all of a sudden, announced the next day, the coach is sacked?
Not saying it doesnt happen but considering Darren achieved the objective of staying up, dont you think it was a bolt from the blue to have a meeting and then he is sacked without any forethought?

Although i wouldnt say where i heard the info from, i would swear on my kids lives that I heard the news Sunday evening.

#18 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

You are quite correct Bill. I have been involved some years ago and the decision to remove a coach is one of the most difficult the BOD have to make. I know we had this unenviable task and some supporters agree and others don't. I think we have to trust the custodians at the time.

I just wonder whether the timing was right with the presentation night being held this Friday.

The BOD now have the most difficult task of appointing a new coach with only limited funds available and the pressure of time.

Posted Image

#19 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

I truly hope the BOD have thought and planed the future for next season very carefully as it was clear from this years events that this years salary cap was too much too soon whilst the club was dealing with paying on going loans etc.  A replacement coach for 2014 will not come cheap whilst partially paying Darren the remainder of his contract and putting further funds into the flood lights.

If the BOD are looking at strengthening the squad for next season then talent from further a field will most likely be required which again will stretch even this years budget and IMO it will be a mighty task to be competitive whilst raising the £100k for the club plus the remaining money required for the floodlights.

I wish Darren all the best for the future, He was given a goal and completed the task twice in 2 years. Lets see if a replacement can achieve the same.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#20 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:38 PM

must say the timing is particularly poor due to Darren achieving the goal of staying up and it and could've also been taken after the presentation evening ??? Just my thoughts!

Lee Morton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users