Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

New Coach Required

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#21 Sportacus!

Sportacus!
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I know what you mean, but it gives an extra few days between the announcement and pres night to have talks. Every little helps!

#22 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

I just don't get it...unless they have a coach locked away in the cupboard where are we going to get one? people talking of Broady coming in but again your going into the realms of the unknown. I don't see Cresta jumping at the job with his BARLA and Dalton commitments.

Darren achieved everything we asked for in the first year and giving him a two year contract was to enable the club AND Holty to develop and grow. I wouldn't class this as a disastrous season but more of one to be improved on..I hope they have made the right decision as its one I would have voted against.

Good luck for the future Holty and it was a pleasure working with you.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#23 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

I don't understand why holts been sacked if I'm honest, started the season of awful! Turned the team around and kept us up, even with his illness and the financial issues! So unless we've already got someone else lined up I can't understand why we've done this

#24 Alias

Alias
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

One word : fickle. .. You know who you are. !

#25 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

I feel sorry for Darren because he didn't have the strongest hand of cards to work with and he kept the club in the Championship. Going by his interview on Radio Cumbria right after Sunday's game, I don't think he had any inclination of what was to happen. He was asked about team strengthening and he replied to the effect that he would see what the finances were and he was having a meeting with the board on Monday evening to discuss possible future players, etc.

All the best Holty.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#26 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Keith everyone that I have spoken to since the announcement cant weigh up the timing of this especially so soon after the euphoria of staying up and with the players evening being this Friday ??

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#27 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Am i the only person who didn`t enjoy the style of rugby the last couple of years? Maybe not if the attendances are a reflection of appreciation.

Edited by bar red, 04 September 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#28 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

While no one likes whats happened and i do feel for Darren,but ive heard a lot of talk about his man management skills with the players,weather this is true or not i don't really know but if it is has this been done so that we can retain players , and also bring new players in that maybe don't want to play under Darren?
As it has been said a lot of contract negotiations would have been left to see which league we ended up in and with this coming so soon after the game...could these points be the reason ?

#29 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

The average gate at CP is over 1000 and is 5th highest behind Fev, Fax, Leigh & Sheffield. Barrow are only 4 per game behind Sheffield.

Posted Image

#30 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

And Sheffield's gates appear to be grossly exaggerated. Whenever they're on TV there looks to be about 200 there !

Posted Image

#31 Raider94

Raider94
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

I agree with drewjak, heard on a number of occasions that there was issues with player/coach relationships. Not knocking Holty there i think hes done a great job managed to get us promoted and then keep us in the league, but i cant help looking at the teams that came up with us and think that we have perhaps underachieved. When the season started with the team we had i honestly thought playoffs would have been the aim. IMO we are a lot better than a 3rd from bottom championship team, and maybe thats why the BOD have made the decision, maybe they want somebody who can get the most out of this team especially with the importance of next season with the restructure coming in 2015.

Tom Heighton

#32 drewjak

drewjak
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:39 AM

Well my post was quick to be put straight.............http://www.nwemail.c...ayers-1.1082781

#33 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

The average gate at CP is over 1000 and is 5th highest behind Fev, Fax, Leigh & Sheffield. Barrow are only 4 per game behind Sheffield.

I know this doesn't matter much as every clubs needs the away fans revenue but.........if you calculated home support only we'd be higher up that list, its our geographical isolation that counts against us.

We should get Murphs to look at raising the support on all levels as part of his comm manager role, here an idea Pete.

Could we get a combo ticket with Dalton Zoo / Beatrix Potter Museum / a.n. other local-ish tourist attractions  & Dozen good Restaurants / Bar meals pubs etc, It would be a great family day out for locals as well as targeting every clubs away fan as in on game day you use/visit 1 Tourist attraction & 1, Pub / Restaurant & attend BRLFC and qualify for 20% off your final bill or entrance fee.

Have all venues/attractions equally sharing's all production/running costs & hopefully all share an up turn in business. 

Lots of away fans visit the Lakes &/or stop off in Ulverston for refreshments on route buy / spend in different attractions / pubs etc Sell (the concept) this booklet to several targeted establishments with pull out discounted tabs & you channel visitors to these selected venues, heck add several Hotel / B&Bs for visitors and we all win :)

Just a thought

Edited by mick wilson, 08 September 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#34 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

I know this doesn't matter much as every clubs needs the away fans revenue but.........if you calculated home support only we'd be higher up that list, its our geographical isolation that counts against us.

We should get Murphs to look at raising the support on all levels as part of his comm manager role, here an idea Pete.

Could we get a combo ticket with Dalton Zoo / Beatrix Potter Museum / a.n. other local-ish tourist attractions  & Dozen good Restaurants / Bar meals pubs etc, It would be a great family day out for locals as well as targeting every clubs away fan as in on game day you use/visit 1 Tourist attraction & 1, Pub / Restaurant & attend BRLFC and qualify for 20% off your final bill or entrance fee.

Have all venues/attractions equally sharing's all production/running costs & hopefully all share an up turn in business. 

Lots of away fans visit the Lakes &/or stop off in Ulverston for refreshments on route buy / spend in different attractions / pubs etc Sell (the concept) this booklet to several targeted establishments with pull out discounted tabs & you channel visitors to these selected venues, heck add several Hotel / B&Bs for visitors and we all win :)

Just a thought

Some excellent ideas there Mick

Posted Image

#35 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

The Evening Mail reads of the potential coaches/ex super league players that have applied for the Barrow Raiders Coach position.  I hope we can afford the new coach and pay off the old coach/money into the floodlight scheme together with the salary cap required to put a competitive team on the pitch for 2014 given the recent financial problems the club had/hold ?  :download:

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#36 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

Im sure the BOD, whom I have every faith in, will be taking evrything into consideration Neil. They have managed to keep the club afloat so far.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#37 PENRITH RAIDER

PENRITH RAIDER
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

First of all I would like to wish Darren and his family all the best for the future.
There have been many names mentioned for the new coach but if Darren had not enough experience then surely Broadbent or
Sice would also lack experience. The BARLA coach has also been mentioned. He has been there before and did not achieve
much. My choice would be Gary Chambers the Swinton coach. He is one of the best forwards to come out of Cumbria since the
Gorley brothers. His playing career was cut short by injury, but he has experience at coaching at Warrington under one of the best coaches in the world. He has done a good job at Swinton and although there were a lot of derisive remarks no
rules were broken. I think he would do a good job and is my number 1 choice followed by Gary Charlton keeping it local.

#38 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

What are people's thoughts on a player coach ?
My thoughts are that it doesn't really work but if it was a Jamie Peacock or Lee Briers with Acky and Deano supporting I might change my mind .
That might also be the value for money route too-2 birds with one stone.
According to the statement there are candidates with Superleague experience, if that means they have played at that level but not coached then Broady has that experience plus he has a good local knowledge.
If it means they have coached at that level then it could mean Ian Millward. I can't say I rate him though. Shaun McRae is going back to Oz so it can't be him.
Thoughts anyone?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#39 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

I think we have to get a certain local coach interested. If it means paying a little extra, that would be spent in travel and accommodation for an out of town coach, it's worth it. As for Mr Penrith Raider I completely disagree with his comments regards Cresta and IMO the club was much stronger under his coaching and leadership. If I remember we only had 4 signed players when he joined and when he left we had a reserve team and youth structure, some very strong signings and he left a league winning squad.

People forget its all about having structure and strength in your management.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#40 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

Wouldn't mind having Sean long!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users