Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

HOLT SACKED

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Who would we like to take over?

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#2 Flying whinger

Flying whinger
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

Step forward Mr Paul Creary

#3 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Really sorry to hear this.  Darren, Phil and Deano have done a great job on limited funds.  

I'm hearing Broady and Carl Sice's name mentioned a lot.  Only rumour, mind.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#4 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Sice is going back to Kells gotta be Paul Creary for me ... great links to the amateur game and proven coach

Edited by morty, 03 September 2013 - 09:12 AM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#5 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

why not give Gary Schofield another chance, the way des treated him was the biggest mistake of Des's reign.

he will have contacts in yorkshire and we certainly need to bring players in, especially if the rumours of alot of players leaving are true.

#6 ManandboyRaider

ManandboyRaider
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Mr Paul Creary for me guys

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

why not give Gary Schofield another chance, the way des treated him was the biggest mistake of Des's reign.

he will have contacts in yorkshire and we certainly need to bring players in, especially if the rumours of alot of players leaving are true.

Oh no please ... hes a loon

Lee Morton

#8 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

What's Paul Deacon doing nowadays after all he had a 100% win record until egohead Johnson sacked him?

#9 blue forever

blue forever
  • Coach
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:01 AM

What's Paul Deacon doing nowadays after all he had a 100% win record until egohead Johnson sacked him?

I assume you mean STEVE DEAKIN????? He's back in France I think

I dont want to join the army...

Posted Image

#10 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Feel sorry for Darren. He seemed to do a good job for you and got you some decent players over his time.

All the best for 2014

#11 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

I assume you mean STEVE DEAKIN????? He's back in France I think

OK I forgot his first name, it happens. But on a realistic line what would people think IF he came back?

#12 Paul Ballantyne

Paul Ballantyne
  • Coach
  • 1,260 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:12 AM

Whoever is going to take charge needs to be appointed asap so players can have talk before other clubs come calling.
Personally I would like to see cresta finish what he started!

#13 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Thanks Darren , you have the respect of everybody in this great game, but more than this you have helped the raiders regain respect, all the very best with your  recovery, and whatever you do in the future.

Edited by alba, 03 September 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#14 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Feel for Darren, but I don't think he has the experience to coach at this level. If you look at the names coaching in this league such as John Kear, Karl Harrison and Dave Woods I think the step up was always going to be a tough one to make.

But the fact his he has stepped up when the club was in need, got us out of the league of death and ensured we are in the Championship come 2014 despite all the financial troubles the club has been through. He deserves a lot of credit for this and I think he can hold his head up high and be proud of the job he's done.

It's not a decision I wanted to happen, but I think it's one we needed to move up the league and ensure we are in SL2 come 2015 (if the changes are going ahead) We need someone with experience and contacts within the game to bring in some quality players out of Cumbria to compliment our local talent. Hopefully we find the right man. Someone like Cresta would be great.

Good luck to Darren in the future, hopefully in a few years he can return to the post with more experience under his belt.

#15 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

All the best to Darren in the future, and thanks for all you've done as player and coach. Last year the aim was promotion and this years aim was staying up and both box's have been ticked with very limited resources.

#16 upandunder

upandunder
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Having heard Darren Holt's post match interview on Radio Cumbria on the way back from the game against Keighley, it was obvious that Monday night's Board meeting was predictably going to be an interesting one. But to find that he had been sacked, according to the Evening mail, was a shock.

As a player, he served Barrow very well, and as a coach he has done an outstanding job with the players he had available and kept the squad pretty much together. His radio interview on Sunday made it clear that more investment was necessary if Barrow were to move forward and thus avoid relegation next season. Whether this request for extra investment is feasible, only the Board of Directors know and, whether Darren's request for an increased budget is the crux of his dismissal remains privy to those at the meeting.

Of the names posted as a possible successor, I cannot forsee anyone doing a better job than Darren Holt. I do not know him personally but he comes across as an intelligent, articulate and dedicated coach, especially after his recent health problems, and I believe the Board have made a poor decision if, as quoted in the Evening Mail, that he has been sacked.

#17 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Having heard Darren Holt's post match interview on Radio Cumbria on the way back from the game against Keighley, it was obvious that Monday night's Board meeting was predictably going to be an interesting one. But to find that he had been sacked, according to the Evening mail, was a shock.

As a player, he served Barrow very well, and as a coach he has done an outstanding job with the players he had available and kept the squad pretty much together. His radio interview on Sunday made it clear that more investment was necessary if Barrow were to move forward and thus avoid relegation next season. Whether this request for extra investment is feasible, only the Board of Directors know and, whether Darren's request for an increased budget is the crux of his dismissal remains privy to those at the meeting.

I was thinking exactly the same thing mate

Lee Morton

#18 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

I am personally sad to hear that he has been sacked by the club, and thought it would have been more prudent the club to release a statement saying that he had stepped aside due to well document health issues. Whilst I don't believe he had the pedigree to coach at this level, I think the club has treated its highest points scorer and a club legend is a disgusting manner.

So with Holt going, and all our team off contract where does that leave us? Surely we will have to get a coach asap so he can start building his squad for the future, as I doubt players from elsewhere will sign without clear direction, not would I want us to announce signings without a coaches approval -

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#19 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Strange decision but If Darren Holt needs to concentrate on his health fully understandable.

as for your new coach you wouldn't go far wrong with Steve McCormack if he ready for a coaching job again, quality coach and great bloke.

#20 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

That for me would be stupid to start paying for sn out of town coach.the coaching side of things needs to be local which would save alot of money to get rid of a local coach who wants the best for the club and then pay extra to bring an out of towner into the club would be financially stupid.holty an atky might not of been every fans cup of tea but one thing for sure is that everything they have done on the playing side of things was in the best interests of the club and has saved the club alot of money resulting in alot of the debt being payed off well done holty an atky and dean they stepped in when the club was on its knees and have helped turn the clubs fortunes round.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users