Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

06/09/13 - Hull FC v St Helens KO 8pm

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull FC (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

2. St Helens (5 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. Draw (1 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,736 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

Start by looking up subtext, consider the motivation of the writer and whether he is a reliable narrator on these matters.
If you're still struggling, let me know and I'll spell it out.

Nah, you were just wrong.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#42 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Nah, you were just wrong.

If you predict the same result without giving it a moment's thought, sadly you'll be wrong now and again. Saints will definitely lose next week, that's for sure.

#43 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm surprised and obviously delighted by that margin. It should give us a nice confidence boost ahead of next week.

It sounds like Swift continued to impress. I'd be happy going into next season with him and Makinson as our starting wingers, though I think the latter would make a fine fullback if Lomax was to spend time at standoff.

Edited by MrFussy, 06 September 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#44 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:36 PM

Nowt like as funny as your "wise after the event" post though.

Unless, of course, that his reply was sarcastic too.....

#45 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm surprised and obviously delighted by that margin. It should give us a nice confidence boost ahead of next week.

It sounds like Swift continued to impress. I'd be happy going into next season with him and Makinson as our starting wingers, though I think the latter would make a fine fullback if Lomax was to spend time at standoff.

Saints played well but they really didn't have to get out of 2nd gear we were awful handing possession over in a series of comical brain farts.

#46 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

Bang goes HKRs chance of the Grand Final. We cannot beat Saints in a season...can we?

Puts Wigans youth team performance in context last week. And I guess reflects on the poor performance by Wigan at Wembley and before and since.

Feel sorry for Hull and their fans... 3 weeks ago they were beginning to "believe" now its a case of "behave".

Still they will miss the pleasure of Rovers filling out the KC next weekend and probably gloating over another play off season win. Spoilt my end of season again! 

#47 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:19 PM

whoops,so excited   "beating Saints 4  times in a season"

#48 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:38 PM

Oh, I do stick by my team pal, don't worry about that.

And anything I post on here is usually light hearted stuff designed to give the likes of SteveReed and HKRAwayDays summat to nibble at in good humour which they usually do.

Accept my postings for what they are, like you mentioned, a bit of banter and you might enjoy the forum a bit more.

And you're probably correct, can't see us getting too far in the play offs but then, I couldn't see us getting to Wembley and look what happened....actually, you're right, stuff getting to Old Trafford, come on Saints...

You were right with your prediction but way off with the score, I must admit I thought it would have been closer than that, I do enjoy the forum and all of the banter that is why we rugby fans get on so well, most of it is taken with a pinch of salt, judging by what I have read it sounds as though Hull carried on from the way they played at Wembley it has to be disheartening  as a Hull fan when you know your team can play so much better.

#49 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Still they will miss the pleasure of Rovers filling out the KC next weekend and probably gloating over another play off season win. Spoilt my end of season again! 

Behind every cloud....

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#50 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Saints played well but they really didn't have to get out of 2nd gear we were awful handing possession over in a series of comical brain farts.

Saints only have two gears: first and reverse. 

#51 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

You were right with your prediction but way off with the score, I must admit I thought it would have been closer than that, I do enjoy the forum and all of the banter that is why we rugby fans get on so well, most of it is taken with a pinch of salt, judging by what I have read it sounds as though Hull carried on from the way they played at Wembley it has to be disheartening  as a Hull fan when you know your team can play so much better.

Agreed.

Can't help wondering how Adam Pearson feels at the mo. At least I only shelled out a couple of hundred for a season pass.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#52 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

Saints only have two gears: first and reverse.

I think they would have won in reverse last night, deserved the win won't take anything away from Saints, great away support too.

#53 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Imagine what we could have done this year with a halfback.

I know most have 2, but just one would have turned some of those losses around.

COYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#54 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yes, but without the defence.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#55 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,824 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Some of the dumbest attacking play I've seen all year. We gifted Saints 3 of their first 4 tries (the first one was a bit of luck).

0-0 after 25 minutes and we go in at the break 22-0 down. Absolutely shocking.

I know we're bad in attack, but I didn't think we were so bad we give the ball to the other team three times to score?!
Posted Image

#56 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Nowt like as funny as your "wise after the event" post though.

I said before the game that Hull weren't "a much better side" and that the bookies had Saints as 4 point favourites, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

#57 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

whoops,so excited   "beating Saints 4  times in a season"

How are you feeling about playing us again Steve? I must say Hull KR worry me as much as anyone, you've been a bogey team for us for a while and have clearly had the beating of us this season. If Dobson takes control then I think we'll continue to have a hard time besting you. I'm hopeful we can get a result after our recent form though, our results over the last two months have been a huge improvement on earlier in the year.

Edited by MrFussy, 07 September 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#58 stevereed100

stevereed100
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

How are you feeling about playing us again Steve? I must say Hull KR worry me as much as anyone, you've been a bogey team for us for a while and have clearly had the beating of us this season. If Dobson takes control then I think we'll continue to have a hard time besting you. I'm hopeful we can get a result after our recent form though, our results over the last two months have been a huge improvement on earlier in the year.

Not at all optimistic. Rovers are a busted side at the moment with several key players not likely to make it for the play offs and very reliant on team spirit and the slick attack that has been a coaching success. The Leeds performance would if repeated see us through but is asking a lot from the youngsters. Rovers can always pull off a shock but 4 wins v the Saints in a season when we would see 2 as a magnificent result is a dream too far.
Pleased at making the play offs v all the odds so will live in hope. Thanks for your efforts v Hull last night, would have been unhappy to go to the KC with such a weakened side as a defeat would have left Hull fans confused again. They keep waking up to the fact that Gentle isn't up to it and Pearson is a ###### but then pull off a win and become deluded again, with my young friend OF an exception.

#59 Jarv

Jarv
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Despite being dissapointed have to say I was suprised by the doom and gloom shown by Hull fans after the game and ringing into the radio after. I cant say I really expected us to beat a strong Saints side with a young makeshift forward pack and a half back thrown in at centre for good measure. Dont get me wrong I dont think you can forgive the clanger on half time but we only made mistakes when having to chase the game. For the record I was also pretty impressed with Saints. I think you can count them in one of 5 teams that can actually win the Grand Final. As for Hull well I still think if we even get Ellis and Lynch back we may just beat Catalans home or away. No further than that though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users