Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Players poll reveals exodus fears

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

that 75% stat is 80% at my company.

How do you know, did someone ask, and did you then complain at the person who told you the result for bringing you the news at an inconvenient time?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#42 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Then the players should ###### or get off the pot. Not happy? Do something about it. No one is forcing them to play rugby for a living.

#43 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,502 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Then the players should ###### or get off the pot. Not happy? Do something about it. No one is forcing them to play rugby for a living.

Yes, heaven forbid that they should express a view on anything. Shoo! Begone with them all!! Troublemakers the lot of 'em.

(Shakes head)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#44 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

It's not even saying that they want to go. It's just that they would consider going.

I wonder if the players were asked if they'd consider staying in SL but playing for a different club. It's one thing to consider doing something, it's quite another to actually do it.

Spot on brooza.

#45 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

How do you know, did someone ask, and did you then complain at the person who told you the result for bringing you the news at an inconvenient time?

No, of course not, our colleague surveys are done professionally and the results are reviewed by everyone with action plans put in place to address issues.

The results are not plastered in the media, and we certainly didn't shout from the rooftops RBS come and get us we are all unhappy!

Edited by Dave T, 05 September 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#46 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

It does make you wonder what LPL's agenda is. I suppose I'd guess they've seen the negativity and apocalyptic nature of posts on here and decided to jump on board.

To sell papers?

Sinfield winning Golden Boot ring any bells?

#47 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

You mean when it would be virtually ignored?

Whenever a poll like this was published, there would be the usual chorus of disapproval that greets anything remotely 'off-message' these days, as if Rugby League was some fragile ornament that could be shattered by a story in a newspaper or magazine. It isn't, and it won't be, and there is nothing whatsoever to fear from hearing what the players have to say, IMO.

These aren't people who hate the game and want to run it down. They are its lifeblood. If 75% of them think they aren't earning enough money to play it, and are looking elsewhere for opportunities to earn a better living, that's not an issue that ought to be swept under the carpet in a professional sport, is it?

No, not at all but the magazine headline is unnecessarily sensationalist.

I welcome the fact that rugby league journalism is treated as more than just copy / pasting an RFL press release, sharing a few anecdotes and if there are a few inches to spare have a pop at the rah-rahs. The RFL should held to account for its decisions. But I think RLW got this one wrong.

#48 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

No, of course not, our colleague surveys are done professionally and the results are reviewed by everyone with action plans put in place to address issues.

The results are not plastered in the media, and we certainly didn't shout from the rooftops RBS come and get us we are all unhappy!

That's because your surveys are done at the request of the company you work for. Had the RFL or the individual clubs done them themselves then the results would probably have been treated in a similar fashion.

If the survey had been done by a trade union, I'm guessing that the management would find the results in the local trade paper.

#49 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:46 PM

Good heavens i wonder what Mike Calvin would make of it all

#50 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Yes, heaven forbid that they should express a view on anything. Shoo! Begone with them all!! Troublemakers the lot of 'em.

(Shakes head)

Who's saying they shouldn't express their views? This "groundbreaking" survey, conducted by a players union finds that they want more money, earth shattering. If 75% feel that way, then surely we'll see a "lock-out" come play-offs time? Otherwise it's just a group of blokes having a whinge. They could point out that ticket prices have risen while their salaries are still capped, where's this money going?

Edited by archibald, 05 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

#51 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

(Shakes head)

OK John. you are right, everyone else is wrong but you are a journalist so your opinion is more worthy.

#52 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

Edited by archibald, 05 September 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#53 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

That's because your surveys are done at the request of the company you work for. Had the RFL or the individual clubs done them themselves then the results would probably have been treated in a similar fashion.

If the survey had been done by a trade union, I'm guessing that the management would find the results in the local trade paper.

I wonder why our Unions are not conducting surveys to find out if we think we should be paid more?

#54 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

It does make you wonder what LPL's agenda is. I suppose I'd guess they've seen the negativity and apocalyptic nature of posts on here and decided to jump on board.

According to some people like Just Browny if you dont agree with him or dare to post some reality/negative then you hate the game and are a miserable sod. Ok being positive, but there are major issues and concerns within the game. Often we dont hear what the players feel or think. Whilst it may upset a few on here, its good to come out. Maybe the timing could have been better but I dont see where LPL are at fault. There job is to report news and sell newspapers. Some news is on the negative side but that doesnt mean it should be just ignored like some people seem to want. To question LPL agenda is pure stupid. Yes the agenda is to pull down the game. :drag: :assassin: :roulette:

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

According to some people like Just Browny if you dont agree with him or dare to post some reality/negative then you hate the game and are a miserable sod. Ok being positive, but there are major issues and concerns within the game. Often we dont hear what the players feel or think. Whilst it may upset a few on here, its good to come out. Maybe the timing could have been better but I dont see where LPL are at fault. There job is to report news and sell newspapers. Some news is on the negative side but that doesnt mean it should be just ignored like some people seem to want. To question LPL agenda is pure stupid. Yes the agenda is to pull down the game. :drag: :assassin: :roulette:

Yep, tbh I don't have an issue with any of the media outlets that covered this, I am keen to understand what League13 are hoping to achieve with this.

They have positioned this with the 75% of people interested in the NRL or RU. They knew this would be controversial and damaging, yet what were they looking to achieve?

Were they trying to let the management know? I expect they already know, due to the fact that we have had players already leave, plus owners will probably get this thrown in front of them during every contract negotiation.

Were they letting the RU know? That's a dangerous route to go down.

This is a Rugby League players Union, it's a strange one, are they acting in their member's interests if they damage the game?

#56 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Having got my copy in the post today, I think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. Nobody is really "letting rip", it's a bunch of Yes/No questions that are pretty simplistic (a couple of the questions are a bit loaded as well I feel). Whilst something like this should be welcomed, it seems there isn't as much depth as one might hope. 97% of players think the game isn't marketed well enough - well duh! Everyone knows that, what I want to know is what they think might help. Why do more players than not think Refs have improved? It's frustratingly undetailed, and in all honesty doesn't tell us much more than if you asked most of the same questions of a genuine cross section of 200 RL fans.

Finally 77% of players thinks the game doesn't take the views of the players seriously - fair enough 1eague3 - give us a reason to, and show your working. That would be genuinely worth reading

(This isn't a go at RLW by the way, Gareth Walker's editorial and John Wilkin's article takes an interesting look at the results, but at the end of the day it's just speculation. Informed speculation, but still speculation.)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#57 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Having got my copy in the post today, I think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. Nobody is really "letting rip", it's a bunch of Yes/No questions that are pretty simplistic (a couple of the questions are a bit loaded as well I feel). Whilst something like this should be welcomed, it seems there isn't as much depth as one might hope. 97% of players think the game isn't marketed well enough - well duh! Everyone knows that, what I want to know is what they think might help. Why do more players than not think Refs have improved? It's frustratingly undetailed, and in all honesty doesn't tell us much more than if you asked most of the same questions of a genuine cross section of 200 RL fans.

Finally 77% of players thinks the game doesn't take the views of the players seriously - fair enough 1eague3 - give us a reason to, and show your working. That would be genuinely worth reading

(This isn't a go at RLW by the way, Gareth Walker's editorial and John Wilkin's article takes an interesting look at the results, but at the end of the day it's just speculation. Informed speculation, but still speculation.)

Ultimately as well, what the hell do players know about marketing? Why would this question even be asked?

#58 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Ultimately as well, what the hell do players know about marketing? Why would this question even be asked?

Having managed a marketing group I'd like to know what the players think marketing is... lots of people that I speak to that don't work in the various marketing roles that exist often have me shaking my head as they generally equate the narrower promotion or advertising to marketing,

#59 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

I wonder why our Unions are not conducting surveys to find out if we think we should be paid more?

If the management are already doing so and nobody has any issues with the way that it is done, what would be the point?

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,348 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

If the management are already doing so and nobody has any issues with the way that it is done, what would be the point?

probably more because they have more important things to focus on rather than focus on things people already know and claim it is news.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users