Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Players poll reveals exodus fears

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

So Superleague players would consider changing jobs for the offer of more money elsewhere?

Well i for one am totally shocked!!!

What exactly is the story here??

The story is that their employers are restricted in how much they can pay them. This is to stop clubs going bust, and it has worked, only Wakefield (3 times), widnes, London (twice) Gateshead, Huddersfield/Sheffield, Paris and north Wales have gone bust since the introduction of the salary cap.

That's 10 times a club has gone into administration/ folded and 7 clubs not bad for a 14 team league.

#62 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

The story is that their employers are restricted in how much they can pay them. This is to stop clubs going bust, and it has worked, only Wakefield (3 times), widnes, London (twice) Gateshead, Huddersfield/Sheffield, Paris and north Wales have gone bust since the introduction of the salary cap.

That's 10 times a club has gone into administration/ folded and 7 clubs not bad for a 14 team league.

I'd scrap it tomorrow.

It hasn't prevented clubs overspending, it hasn't created an even league.

It holds back our game, we can't sign NRL or RU stars, we look cheap.  Cheap does not appeal to advertisers.

Our biggest clubs are dragged back to mediocrity and our smaller clubs see the cap as a target that must be reached and spend money they do not have to try and get there.

Replace it with a % of turnover, then no one can get silly and the big clubs can bring in the big names that will get us the headlines. (or a % of a rich bloke's "investment" for those lucky enough to have a sugar daddy)

Edited by Ponterover, 06 September 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#63 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

that would also be a great incentive to increase turnover. 

#64 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,977 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Hurrah! Someone gets it at last!

Look, RLW isn't my baby anymore, but shooting the messenger as many appear wont to do in this thread is just daft. It was the players' union itself, 1eague3, that conducted the poll of its members. RLW is publishing the results. Make of them what you will. Or you can stick your heads in the sand if you prefer.

For the record, it may stun some people to know that the publication dates of RLW are set at least 12 months in advance, and are not deliberately timed to scupper a press launch in Salford. That would just be silly. RLW folk are big fans of Dr Koukash and his Salford revolution, which is why the mag carried a massive 6 page interview with the man himself just 3 issues previous. You all read that, all you guys in the positivity brigade, didn't you? Hey, didn't you?? Also, RLW editor Gareth Walker has been tweeting away positively from the Salford event all morning, and we've retweeted these on both the @rlworld and @leagueexpress twitter accounts too.

We always tie in our promo for each new issue to coincide with the online edition going live, which is always the day before the print edition appears in the shops. This month, that falls today. There's no dark or doom-laden conspiracy going on.

Go on, be positive, buy the mag, have a read, you might surprise yourself to discover how well-written it is and how passionate about the game everyone who contributes to it is. Or you can just indulge your own negativity (sound the irony klaxon) by ignorantly slagging it off here.

I've heard that the NUJ are planning a similar survey amongst LPL staff and it reveals that 100% of the are willing to join 40/20 just for free biscuits with their coffee.

Just telling it like it is, you understand.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#65 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,926 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Nah, the salary cap has worked well when it was properly applied. We've had crowds doubling since the beginning of SL and that means more money all round.

Anyone who seriously thinks that the salary cap was the cause of Paris or Crusaders demise needs to read up a bit. Those clubs were doomed no matter what. Dropping expansion clubs with insufficient funds into SL and then expecting the Salary cap to save them is stupid.

It's also given clubs like Warrington and Huddersfield a new lease of life. For years they could not beat St Helens and Bradford respectively, now look where they are. See what a lack of salary cap has done to soccer.

The problems are:-
a) too many teams in SL reducing the TV money for everybody
B) putting expansion sides into Sl when they weren't ready
c) a failure to relegate clubs that are obviously struggling

#66 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

Good grief!     It's an piece of journalism, not a declaration of war.  It cries out for a follow-up article in RLW, not a rubbishing.  Make a start with a comparison with the video in post #52

#67 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

It may well  be "how it is" but the  presentation of it is just sensationalism.

If sumbdy asked me if I wanted to go to Australia, I'd say yes but the chances of it happening are zilch.  There'll be no mass exodus.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#68 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

That's my only problem with the article is the wsy it's presented as if there's going to be some mass exodus of players when in actual fact all it's saying is the players would consider moving for money. I think anyone would consider moving jobs for more money.

#69 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

That's my only problem with the article is the way it's presented as if there's going to be some mass exodus of players when in actual fact all it's saying is the players would consider moving for money. I think anyone would consider moving jobs for more money.

Exactly. Total non-story.

#70 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

The salary cap should be significantly increased.   But could take an idea from RU with their salary cap and introduce additional payments to clubs based upon their own Academy players in the squad.

In most sports I know clubs use transfers as means of bringing in income to enable themselves to operate.  So I can't see any problems with the like of Wakefield having to rely on transfer of players.   Investing in a strong academy to have players to play for the club as well as sell on is a reasonable operating model and one used by many sporting clubs.  Particular if central funds are diverted to support academy development, with more going to those less strong clubs than the stronger as a way of tilting the balance.

#71 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

These aren't people who hate the game and want to run it down. They are its lifeblood. If 75% of them think they aren't earning enough money to play it, and are looking elsewhere for opportunities to earn a better living, that's not an issue that ought to be swept under the carpet in a professional sport, is it?

I disagree. If we are talking about a professional game, then the players aren't it's lifeblood. The fans are.

Sack all 30 players at,say, Wigan tomorrow and they could have a new squad within a couple of days. Maybe not quite so good, but they could still raise a team.

Stop 15,000 from coming through the gates and the club is finished as a professional entity.
People called Romans they go the house

#72 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

Exactly. Total non-story.

Then why get your knickers in such a knot over it?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#73 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

The salary cap should be significantly increased.   But could take an idea from RU with their salary cap and introduce additional payments to clubs based upon their own Academy players in the squad.

In most sports I know clubs use transfers as means of bringing in income to enable themselves to operate.  So I can't see any problems with the like of Wakefield having to rely on transfer of players.   Investing in a strong academy to have players to play for the club as well as sell on is a reasonable operating model and one used by many sporting clubs.  Particular if central funds are diverted to support academy development, with more going to those less strong clubs than the stronger as a way of tilting the balance.

How often do players get transferred for a fee these days ? Sure - it happens but usually players leave at the end of their contracts.

Bosman changed everything.

#74 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Then why get your knickers in such a knot over it?

I've hardly commented at all, other than to calm the "panic".

#75 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I disagree. If we are talking about a professional game, then the players aren't it's lifeblood. The fans are.

Not in isolation. Everyone involved in the game in whatever capacity has a stake in it. This particular story is about the players and what they think. Disagree with them if you like, fine, but they are just as entitled to have their views aired as anyone else.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#76 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Yep, tbh I don't have an issue with any of the media outlets that covered this, I am keen to understand what League13 are hoping to achieve with this.

Well, y'know, you could buy the mag and find out. ;)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#77 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

I've hardly commented at all, other than to calm the "panic".

Yeah sorry, confused you with 'Gruff' who has been slightly more vociferous! :)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#78 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

OK John. you are right, everyone else is wrong but you are a journalist so your opinion is more worthy.

Don't be daft. I'm not the one arguing that players should be seen and not heard. ;)

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#79 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,402 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Having got my copy in the post today, I think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. Nobody is really "letting rip", it's a bunch of Yes/No questions that are pretty simplistic (a couple of the questions are a bit loaded as well I feel). Whilst something like this should be welcomed, it seems there isn't as much depth as one might hope. 97% of players think the game isn't marketed well enough - well duh! Everyone knows that, what I want to know is what they think might help. Why do more players than not think Refs have improved? It's frustratingly undetailed, and in all honesty doesn't tell us much more than if you asked most of the same questions of a genuine cross section of 200 RL fans.

Finally 77% of players thinks the game doesn't take the views of the players seriously - fair enough 1eague3 - give us a reason to, and show your working. That would be genuinely worth reading

(This isn't a go at RLW by the way, Gareth Walker's editorial and John Wilkin's article takes an interesting look at the results, but at the end of the day it's just speculation. Informed speculation, but still speculation.)

Thanks for buying the mag and thanks for the constructive feedback, which speaking as a former editor, I know is always welcomed.

The poll is the first of its kind in Super League and the first player poll of any kind since RLW forerunner Open Rugby did something similar way, way back in 1989. It is a (re)starting point, and something to build on and develop further in future.

The reaction to the poll so far has been interesting, to say the least!

Polling players for their views is something which Rugby League Week manage to carry out every year in Australia without the earth tilting off its axis.

Anything they can do...

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#80 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

It does make you wonder what LPL's agenda is. I suppose I'd guess they've seen the negativity and apocalyptic nature of posts on here and decided to jump on board.

If I were the good Doctor I'd ban the lot of them from Salford.  What's the ****ing point?

Let me get this right then, the pair of you have come on here to say thast LPL's hidden agenda is to knock the game. Further decrease interest in the sport and coincidentally in doing so put the future of LPL at risk through declining sales :rofl:

I also take it then in your view those who play should not have a say..

It may comes as a shock to those who do not attend matches in the professional game that often, that many of us who do realise that the game is in dire straights and in serious danger of going down the gurgler in the Northern Hemisphere into a semi-pro feeder league for the NRL and RFU. A process that has already commenced.

And you can expect more headlines this in future in the press, too but not from LPL

http://www.telegraph...-World-Cup.html

As the risk of being accused of "deathriding" the game this entire season, for some of us, has been one of near Stygian gloom with the game laid out awaiting to cross the river Stix the only problem being no-one has a brass razoo to pay the ferryman.

A Journalists job is to report on the truth, whether that truth is unpalatable to some or not is up to the individual - Carry on LPL.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users