Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So who do you think we'll be playing in the playoffs? Hornets or Skolars?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I don't think we need to fear anyone if we play to our potential. But who do think it will be or would be best?

#2 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

I have a feeling it will be Skolars, but either team will give great opposition in the play-offs.  Best of luck.

#3 Ex-scrumhalf

Ex-scrumhalf
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

I think it will be Hornets twice, which I think is a huge problem. Playing Hornets is always a difficult game because they invariably seem to up their game against us. I don't think they are as good as Oldham but in a one off game anything can happen and I think to beat them twice in the space of two weeks is a mammoth task. I expect Oldham to win the game on the 15th but assuming that Hornets then get to the final, as I expect, then it will be a very different game and one my heart says we will win but my head says maybe otherwise. As I have not been to every game this year I am no expert on Oldham so all you fans who do go every week lets have your views on it, but from the head not the heart.  

#4 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

I agree with you Ex Scrum half, Hornets twice is massive, I said all along we would end up having to play them in the "semi" and also the final, If we play to our strengths then i cant see anything but us winning both, but we dont want to get involved in a ###### fight with them like they tried to do last game at Spotland,we have the better players and coaching staff but we need to bring our A game and attitude to these vital games having said that i could also see London winning at Spotland, tight game i would think, if we win the first match its likely Hornets and Skolars would meet again for the last final place, hold onto your hats folks its going to be a hell of a ride! Hope to see a decent crowd at Whitebank on the 15th whoever we play, get behind our lads and lets do this thing! OTID

#5 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

The fact remains that Oldham despite finishing easily second in the league have been, in my view, disadvantaged by the length of time between Competetive games, which strikes me as an unfair way of deciding something so important.

#6 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

The fact remains that Oldham despite finishing easily second in the league have been, in my view, disadvantaged by the length of time between Competetive games, which strikes me as an unfair way of deciding something so important.

Disagree.  All teams in CH1 this season had huge chunks of time without games ours happened at the end of June and cost us in confidence (when Oldham when above us, although we had games in hand) and lost support (we went from over 1000 at home to Rochdale; our next home game was about 800). It was always going to be that what from when the fixtures were released.  In the end the team that won the most games got their just reward.

#7 winedrinkerme

winedrinkerme
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

would like to miss Rochdale all together give me Skolars twice  if we get rochdale Rochdale both teams would be down to 12 men and any result could happen 

#8 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:23 PM

Give it a rest, promotion it is this year!

#9 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

You guys from Oldham are getting very twitchy about playing Hornets. Bring it on we will whip your ######.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#10 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:48 PM

Disagree.  All teams in CH1 this season had huge chunks of time without games ours happened at the end of June and cost us in confidence (when Oldham when above us, although we had games in hand) and lost support (we went from over 1000 at home to Rochdale; our next home game was about 800). It was always going to be that what from when the fixtures were released.  In the end the team that won the most games got their just reward.

Hi Gogledd, I agree the best side over all the season won the league. But with the playoffs we have not now had a game for 2 weeks and officially will not. until the 15th. That can't be great preparation for big games. At the end of the day we just get on with it and get promoted! No one to fear after this season and with no disrespect, not even NWC. :-)

Edited by TOSH1960, 06 September 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#11 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

The way the fixtures were organised by the RFL were a mess to many breaks during the season, teams need to be playing home and away every other week to keep revenue flowing. I cant think of another sport were one team would complete it's fixtures with it's rival team still having 4 matches left to play. 

What happened to the days when a team with games in hand had to play midweek evening games to catch up???

#12 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

Higgy and TOSH

But if you had won the league by the last game would you be complaining?  I doubt it.  As I say ALL Championship 1 reams had a hiatus in their fixtures this season due to the fact there were only 9 teams in the league; had Coventry joined as forecast then the breaks would have been much less noticeable. 

TOSH, we went into the Northern Rail Bowl final not having played for 3 weeks.

Higgy, we did have a game in hand in the Northern Rail Bowl and had to play Hemel Stags in a midweek fixture.  This meant that only 20 of our fans could get to the game as we had to leave early in the afternoon and resulted in less than 200 watching that fixture.  I also ask is it reasonable to ask semi-pro players to play and train for this scenario? It just happened that Oldhams fixture gap came at the end of the season. It may be unfortunate that it happened to you, but it could have been worse and that you would have nothing to play for - now you have every chance of resting players and progressing to the Championship. Or would you have preferred to have come 3rd and be playing on Sunday? ;)

#13 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

Best part of a month without a competitive game going in the playoffs is far from ideal. But we are still the team to beat without doubt. Anyone who has played the game knows there is a big difference between playing and training. Just hope the lads have not lost any of their match fitness. But we just have to get on with it and win!

#14 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Higgy and TOSH

But if you had won the league by the last game would you be complaining?  I doubt it.  As I say ALL Championship 1 reams had a hiatus in their fixtures this season due to the fact there were only 9 teams in the league; had Coventry joined as forecast then the breaks would have been much less noticeable. 

TOSH, we went into the Northern Rail Bowl final not having played for 3 weeks.

Higgy, we did have a game in hand in the Northern Rail Bowl and had to play Hemel Stags in a midweek fixture.  This meant that only 20 of our fans could get to the game as we had to leave early in the afternoon and resulted in less than 200 watching that fixture.  I also ask is it reasonable to ask semi-pro players to play and train for this scenario? It just happened that Oldhams fixture gap came at the end of the season. It may be unfortunate that it happened to you, but it could have been worse and that you would have nothing to play for - now you have every chance of resting players and progressing to the Championship. Or would you have preferred to have come 3rd and be playing on Sunday? ;)

I don't think it's a complaint and anybody realistic would not have expected you to slip up and we were all prepared for the playoffs.

You state that you went into the Northern Rail final not having played for 3 weeks, Why? because the fixtures were a mess, it's not good enough for the fans or the club, fans turn away and find other things to do and the clubs lose revenue but still have bills to pay, the RFL need to take a serious look at this but the again we don't matter we are not Super Dooper league

it's not something new this, I have raised the issue earlier in the season in that the fixtures were a cock up by the RFL.

Coventry being in the league would not have made that much difference to the mess of the fixtures.

I agree with your comment about semi -pro players but it has always been part and parcel of rugby league for games in hand to be caught up this way and not carried over.

#15 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Yes the fixture list has not been perfect this year but look at the table. Oldham are the best team in the play offs and if you play like you normally do you will win. The best of luck but Rochdale aren't the danger, its Skolars.

#16 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

I don't think it's a complaint and anybody realistic would not have expected you to slip up and we were all prepared for the playoffs.

You state that you went into the Northern Rail final not having played for 3 weeks, Why? because the fixtures were a mess, it's not good enough for the fans or the club, fans turn away and find other things to do and the clubs lose revenue but still have bills to pay, the RFL need to take a serious look at this but the again we don't matter we are not Super Dooper league

it's not something new this, I have raised the issue earlier in the season in that the fixtures were a cock up by the RFL.

Coventry being in the league would not have made that much difference to the mess of the fixtures.

I agree with your comment about semi -pro players but it has always been part and parcel of rugby league for games in hand to be caught up this way and not carried over.

I would agree that a break in the playing season is not ideal and the RFL should have been thinking ahead, particularly when they promoted 4 teams last season and ill probably demote 4 in 2013 to get the two leagues of 12 they now propose.  If our league had been 12 (les Coventry = 11) the fixture program would have been much tighter.  I don't think we actually had any league fixtures in hand, all our fixtures were played on the dates agreed apart from the NRB fixture with Hemel which we did play mid-week.

As clwydianrange points out you are in the box seat for the playoffs so you are in control of your own destiny. I'd also agree that Skolars will be your nemesis.

#17 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

It has nothing to do with Coventry, the club that backed out at the 11th hour was Northampton

#18 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

It was a pity that Coventry did not join the league. Having watched some of their games on you tube they look to have a very tidy ground with a nice seated stand.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#19 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Coventry are joining champ one for next season i think

#20 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

It has nothing to do with Coventry, the club that backed out at the 11th hour was Northampton

Northampton backed out in 2012 I think, the season we came into Ch1, because their backers weren't convince a club would get support and make it viable.  Coventry were due to join this year but on reflection felt another year would better prepare them for entry into the league.  They are due to join next season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users