Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone been on a cruise taking in...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Latvia, Poland and St. Petersburg? My sister-in-law is paying for a cruise for my wife and I next year, so its forward planning. I have spoken to some people who have cruised the Med and who differ on the best way to arrange such as trips. There are those who pre-book, others book on board (assuming there are places left), whilst others hop on such as shuttle buses or take a taxi to the towns or cities. There is a minefield of tours to choose from, but difficult having not been there before. One trip we will be going on is to St. Petersburg, although there are a lot to choose from. Anything that would help would be most appreciated: currency, credit card choice etc.  

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#2 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

I think you're going to struggle for value. Organised trips are likely to be over the odds, and getting something sorted as you dock likewise. Try forums like this one but focused on cruising, google "cruising forums" or similar :-)

Also it'd be worth getting some tips on costs etc on board. My mate goes on these trips regularly but always sneaks a bit of booze on board at every port, not too much, but it helps keeps the cost down of having a tipple if that's your fancy. Also find out about tipping on board as some firms automatically add it to your bar/restaurant bills without consent.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 05 September 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

I think you're going to struggle for value. Organise trips are likely tone over the odds, and getting something sorted as you dock likewise. Try forums like this one but focused on cruising, google "cruising forums" or similar :-)

Also it'd be worth getting some tips on costs etc on board. My mate goes on these trips regularly but always sneaks a bit of booze on board at every port, not too much, but it helps keeps the cost down of having a tipple if that's your fancy. Also find out about tipping on board as some firms automatically add it to your bar/restaurant bills without consent.

Thanks for your post.

The itinerary takes in Gdansk, Berlin, Stockholm, Tallinn in Estonia, Copenhagen and St. Petersburg. Drinks are no problem because it's all included. My sister-in-law is also paying the tips. It's more about what tours to choose in terms of pre-booking, aboard ship or just take local transport. Also, credit card versus cash. In hindsight, I would have received much more Polish currency had I exchanged in Poland. 

Having say not been to St. Petersburg, it's unravelling where the most interesting places are. Celebrity cruises certainly offer a wide choice. I have been told that Tallinn is handily placed by using local transport, and so avoiding costly tour prices. The tour prices do range form about £30 to £400. 

#4 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

I went on a glass bottom boat in lanzarote once and a speedboat trip in brid apart from that no
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,996 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Ma und Pa did a Baltic cruise around that area last year including St Petersburg and Tallin.

Any particular questions you'd like me to ask? And when do you want to know by? Weekend? Week? etc.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 royton roughyed

royton roughyed
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

We've been with our family on a Baltic cities cruise and visited some of the places you've mentioned, but not with Celebrity cruises.

With regards to tours, it depends if you are someone who likes to be herded around with a group of people, or whether you prefer to explore on your own. Our son and daughter in law used to take the hop on hop off sightseeing bus that you find in most cities, as they allowed you to see the major sites and spend as long as you want at each one, which worked out cheaper than the cruise tours.  At several ports there were shuttle buses laid on for passengers, by the cruise company, to take passengers into the city centres anfd return on a regular basis - there was a charge for this but nothing like the tour prices. We tended to walk into the city centre and walk around but before going I'd bought, but you could borrow from the library, the city or country guides ( my faves are Rough Guide or Lonely Planet) to decide what you want to see in a particular city, and how easy it is to get there under your own steam.  I also found it was cheaper to prebook tours before going on the cruise rather than book on board.

Another thing to bear in mind is that meals are all included in the cruise, so we would return to the ship at lunchtime for our meal which restricts the time you have in a city - why pay for lunch out or included in a tour price when you've already paid once already.

With regards to the cities that you are visiting, depending on where you are docking, when we visited Tallinn and Stockholm we walked into the centre. Copenhagen we caught the normal local bus. We didn't visit Berlin as it was a three hour train journey and we felt that this would make it a long day - we've visited Berlin this year for a long weekend and still not seen everything, but I suppose if you were happy to catch a glimpse of the sights you may think its worth it. St Petersburg was the only place where we pre booked a tour via the cruise liner, as by doing it that way you didn't need to organise your own visa. We went on a tour around the city centre ( including the obligatory souvenir shop), but we also went on a tour which took us on the underground, visited a local market and supermarket, and shop with vodka tasting, which to me was more interesting as you got to see what life must be like living there.

With regards to credit card versus cash, I seem to remember that all costs on board ship were charged to your cabin and paid for from your credit card, at the end of the cruise. I took currency for each country we visited but whether this was cheaper than taking it in sterling and converting it once you arrived in the country, or using your credit card abroad I couldn't say.

Hope this is of help to you.

#7 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Ma und Pa did a Baltic cruise around that area last year including St Petersburg and Tallin.

Any particular questions you'd like me to ask? And when do you want to know by? Weekend? Week? etc.

I've got plenty of time. As far as going abroad, I've always used cash but that's just visiting one country only. Someone has mentioned Nationwide credit card, but it must be a fine balance taking account of different currencies. I would suspect cruise companies would want you to pre-book tours, saying they get booked up early. By waiting, you could meet people on board who have some local knowledge. Let's say a cruise ship docked at Liverpool, the city would be within walking distance. I have no knowledge of the cities to be visited, and need to know if they are handily placed to use just local transport. 

My wife and I like interesting buildings, gardens and museums. With such a large choice of tours, it's getting it right because this is a once in a lifetime experience. Berlin is perhaps out due to cost and travel involved. There are several tours to St. Petersburg but you have to be accompanied because of visa restrictions. I know it's a wonderful city, but again their is such a wide choice of tours. 

The cost of local transport would help and anything else that might give us a better idea of what to expect. 

Many thanks for the response.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 05 September 2013 - 06:58 PM.

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

We've been with our family on a Baltic cities cruise and visited some of the places you've mentioned, but not with Celebrity cruises.

With regards to tours, it depends if you are someone who likes to be herded around with a group of people, or whether you prefer to explore on your own. Our son and daughter in law used to take the hop on hop off sightseeing bus that you find in most cities, as they allowed you to see the major sites and spend as long as you want at each one, which worked out cheaper than the cruise tours.  At several ports there were shuttle buses laid on for passengers, by the cruise company, to take passengers into the city centres anfd return on a regular basis - there was a charge for this but nothing like the tour prices. We tended to walk into the city centre and walk around but before going I'd bought, but you could borrow from the library, the city or country guides ( my faves are Rough Guide or Lonely Planet) to decide what you want to see in a particular city, and how easy it is to get there under your own steam.  I also found it was cheaper to prebook tours before going on the cruise rather than book on board.

Another thing to bear in mind is that meals are all included in the cruise, so we would return to the ship at lunchtime for our meal which restricts the time you have in a city - why pay for lunch out or included in a tour price when you've already paid once already.

With regards to the cities that you are visiting, depending on where you are docking, when we visited Tallinn and Stockholm we walked into the centre. Copenhagen we caught the normal local bus. We didn't visit Berlin as it was a three hour train journey and we felt that this would make it a long day - we've visited Berlin this year for a long weekend and still not seen everything, but I suppose if you were happy to catch a glimpse of the sights you may think its worth it. St Petersburg was the only place where we pre booked a tour via the cruise liner, as by doing it that way you didn't need to organise your own visa. We went on a tour around the city centre ( including the obligatory souvenir shop), but we also went on a tour which took us on the underground, visited a local market and supermarket, and shop with vodka tasting, which to me was more interesting as you got to see what life must be like living there.

With regards to credit card versus cash, I seem to remember that all costs on board ship were charged to your cabin and paid for from your credit card, at the end of the cruise. I took currency for each country we visited but whether this was cheaper than taking it in sterling and converting it once you arrived in the country, or using your credit card abroad I couldn't say.

Hope this is of help to you.

One tour to St. Petersburg that took my eye visited the Church of our Saviour on the Spilled Blood! 

#9 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

We've done that very cruise, except Helsinki instead of Gdansk. I echo what royton roughyed said, and add that we made sure we had a big breakfast, and that way there's no coming back to the boat for lunch. We usually took the laid on bus into the centre, and then used public transport for the rest of the day, except in St Petersburg, where you don't really want to be wandering about on your own. In Copenhagen and Warnemunde the public transport was right by the boat. I enjoyed it a lot, except for the Russian bit, where I got fed up of being herded about endless museums ... I wanted to see a bit of Russia, not more feckin Rembrandts. The ship was pretty good - try and get a balcony cabin, though. I can point you to various public transport sites and give you some tips on how to get about and what to see, if you'd like, but it'll have to wait until I'm on a proper computer. And I'm not cream crackered.

#10 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:52 AM

Can i marry your sister in law

#11 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

We've done that very cruise, except Helsinki instead of Gdansk. I echo what royton roughyed said, and add that we made sure we had a big breakfast, and that way there's no coming back to the boat for lunch. We usually took the laid on bus into the centre, and then used public transport for the rest of the day, except in St Petersburg, where you don't really want to be wandering about on your own. In Copenhagen and Warnemunde the public transport was right by the boat. I enjoyed it a lot, except for the Russian bit, where I got fed up of being herded about endless museums ... I wanted to see a bit of Russia, not more feckin Rembrandts. The ship was pretty good - try and get a balcony cabin, though. I can point you to various public transport sites and give you some tips on how to get about and what to see, if you'd like, but it'll have to wait until I'm on a proper computer. And I'm not cream crackered.

We do have a balcony. Some tours to St. Petersburg cost around £200 but it can be shared by say four people by car complete with guide. Any help would be welcome. Did you try and work out how much currency you needed or used credit card, By obtaining as much info as possible beforehand should lead to less hassle. By the way, Gdansk and Latvia are new on the itinerary. 

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

Can i marry your sister in law

:tongue:

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

I wouldn't bother going at all.

Yorkshire wins Europe's Leading Destination award

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-23930147

http://www.mirror.co...e-visit-2252310

Rotherham is fantastic at any time of year.

;) :D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#14 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

I went to the Baltic in July.

St Petersberg is amazing but you will need to take an official tour, either through the ship or via an official Russian tour company. if not, you will need a visa, which are expensive.

We used Alla Tours and can recommend the two day tour (assuming you're there for 2 days) provided you have a decent amount of energy. they take you to all the main sights. The Church on the Spilled Blood is indeed amazing, and has never been used as a church. The Yusopov Palace was my favourite - remarkable family house!

Tallinn is beautiful - if you can manage it, just walk around the old city. You can get there in 15 minutes from the port by foot.

Copenhagen is also worth a visit - we took a canal and harbour boat tour and walked, but it's bigger than Tallinn and the hop-on/off bus might be a good option.

PM me with any specific questions and I'd be happy to help. Never been on Celebrity but I've heard good things about their ships.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#15 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

I live in Copenhagen.  Public transport is very good, I would recommend going to Kongens Nytorv [The King's New Square] and taking the tour boat there.  If anything catches your fancy, you can go there after.

www.rejseplanen.dk covers all public transport and is also in English.  Let me know how long you will be etc.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#16 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

I live in Copenhagen.  Public transport is very good, I would recommend going to Kongens Nytorv [The King's New Square] and taking the tour boat there.  If anything catches your fancy, you can go there after.

www.rejseplanen.dk covers all public transport and is also in English.  Let me know how long you will be etc.

Just waiting for the new itinerary for details. 

#17 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Hi Bob, just been reading up on King's Square and how amazing it is, but there was mention of on-going construction work and beware of pickpockets operating, both day and night! Perhaps no different from many other cities.

#18 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I thought you had moved out to the States?

28m391z.jpg

#19 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Fishy!  ;)

#20 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

I did.  I moved back again.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users