Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

McNamara can't win

I dont mean the World Cup

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I don't think Steve McNamara can win regards to picking the Burgess brothers in his World Cup squad. If he picks all 4 he will be accused by half of the posters on here of not picking his strongest squad and if he doesn't pick them the other half will bemoan him for missing a PR opportunity.

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

yep

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Being a coach of a representational squad is probably one of the most thankless jobs in the UK, narrowly losing out to the public toilet cleaners of the country in the race for least wanted job.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,869 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

You pick the best players available, they win a game for you, that's the only criteria.

The Burgess thing has been done to death and I suspect people in the NRL that do not follow Souths are getting over it in a hurry.

They did not get on top of the Roosters tonight, maybe they will the Kangaroos if they are all picked.

#5 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

You pick the best players available, they win a game for you, that's the only criteria.

I agree, but I also think that there is so little playing wise to choose between say Luke Burgess and Chris Hill, that the story of all 4 playing is such a positive with nothing lost on the playing front.

#6 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

The Burgess thing has been done to death and I suspect people in the NRL that do not follow Souths are getting over it in a hurry.
They did not get on top of the Roosters tonight, maybe they will the Kangaroos if they are all picked.

Every hit up I saw from George and Tom the first defender usually lost the contact!

#7 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

If it's a choice between not being quite good enough to win the Cup without all 4 and not being quite good enough to win the Cup with all 4, I'd choose the latter. They represent a genuine, gold-plated, once-in-a-generation opportunity to raise the profile of the game in this country. That's an even more important legacy than silverware. 

#8 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

If it's a choice between not being quite good enough to win the Cup without all 4 and not being quite good enough to win the Cup with all 4, I'd choose the latter. They represent a genuine, gold-plated, once-in-a-generation opportunity to raise the profile of the game in this country. That's an even more important legacy than silverware. 

So you think we should pick the team that will give us the best PR?

it wont raise the profile of the game as much as a world cup win.

#9 fetlar

fetlar
  • Twitter
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

So you think we should pick the team that will give us the best PR?

it wont raise the profile of the game as much as a world cup win.

When the quality differential is negligible or non-existent, absolutely yes. 

The MSM in this country is perfectly capable of extinguishing the glory of an England RL cup win.

#10 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

When the quality differential is negligible or non-existent, absolutely yes. 

The MSM in this country is perfectly capable of extinguishing the glory of an England RL cup win.

Picking all 4 Burgess brothers would do the opposite of raising the profile of the game. It would make the game a laughing stock as people would question any sport that in a high value competition like the World Cup chooses a gimmick selection over sensible selection policy.

#11 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

I take it then Andy that it escaped your notice that the Roosters scored all of their second half points including both tries, when there was only one Burgess playing?

We require good hard defence and these lads do provide that. We likewise do need a pack that is capable of annulling both that of Australia and N/Zs also in order to give our less able backs a platform to work from.

Playing for Souths three of them are presently good enough for any rep side going and, would push for them all too.

But put an England jersey on them and I believe you will get more still for your money.

I think that in the case of Luke Burgess, we do have better candidates presently plus he does not have the game time or the form to warrant inclusion yet, however should Souths do well in the play-offs and he gets an extended run in them well who know's what to expect even there.

I fervently believe that MacNamara would be foolish not to have Sam and the twins at least available and as stated Luke too, if he proves himself ahead of selection time.  

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

McNamara never could win.

<_<

He's the best England coach that Wales has ever had.

:biggrin:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#13 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Well I could provide negative PR around it and if another sport wanted too.... obvious is the gimmick attack for a start.... so I would suggest it could offer a gold plated opportunity to create unwelcome desperation headlines.  

Of course if all 4 could clearly be shown to be the outstanding players for their positions then you have a chance to counter the negative PR,  if you go on and win then that would also discount it.

You have to enter a competition believing you can achieve the best possible, for England that is winning it, and thus pick what you believe are the best players to make the best possible team you can.  Not with an eye to any so called gold plated PR which could just as easily be turned into real negative PR if you have a poor performances and are easily beaten by the Aussie and NZ.    You seem to believe we are not good enough and will be beaten by both and hence that opens the risk of the poor PR around gimmicks going wrong.

If the coach thinks they are the best in each position then fine, if he doesn't lets not use gimmicks.

#14 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Aided and abetted by SBW it was Maloney and Pearce who outplayed Sutton and Reynolds, that's why Sydney beat Souths.

George and Sam have been shoe ins for half the season, depending how Tom goes in the pay offs he's legitimately knocking on the door as well. The fly in the ointment is Luke who hasn't played nearly enough to stake a serious claim without the aid of the PR argument.

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Picking all 4 Burgess brothers would do the opposite of raising the profile of the game. It would make the game a laughing stock as people would question any sport that in a high value competition like the World Cup chooses a gimmick selection over sensible selection policy.

Do you seriously believe fans of other sports or even alleged sports journalists will hold RL up for ridicule if all four Burgess brothers are selected? They don't usually require a reason to ridicule RL so why would that ruffle their feathers?

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

What a load of rubbish. At least 3 of the 4 brothers may well have played in a NRL Grand Final by then - if not all. Two of the brothers have 16 tries between them this season in the toughest competition in the world. How is it a laughing stock?

You do know that Paul Sykes, Mark Calderwood, Rob Purham, Jamie Langley, Ady Gardner, Lee Smith,  etc. were in the squad in 2008 world cup squad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users