Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Players in and out for 2014 and the prospects

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#21 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hunslet ,when led by Dave Plange had great ties with Cas . Thats where we should be looking. Obviously it didnt work for York or Us , so Well Done to them for movin on . Hope WE Can do the same !!!
[/quote You obviously hate the Rhinos with a vengeance love to know why?

chappy

#22 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hunslet ,when led by Dave Plange had great ties with Cas . Thats where we should be looking. Obviously it didnt work for York or Us , so Well Done to them for movin on . Hope WE Can do the same !!!
[/quote You obviously hate the Rhinos with a vengeance love to know why?

Suzzy, its likely that older Hunslet will be anti-Rhinos, given the historic rivallry between the two clubs which was built around the fact that for decades Leeds used to pinch Hunslet's best players for a pittance. The rivallry might seemingly be diluted these days given the comparative situations that the two clubs find themselves in, but I guess for many it hasn't gone away - and that's their prerogative. This is only to be expected. If I was a Hunslet fan, I can imagine I'd be desperately unhappy that my club was apparently at the beck and call of Leeds Rhinos. Imagine the reaction of Featherstone fans if their club had established a dual registration link with Castleford?

Edited by TheTerminator, 13 September 2013 - 09:15 AM.

Posted Image

#23 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,459 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'd prefer Aston Wilson!. Why he wasn't selected when fit is beyond a joke

i asked that question a few times as well, got told he was moving house and wasnt training, however id like Wilson and Normington as first choice centres next season with Maples and maybe Brickwood on the other wing.Watson at full bk, Grimmer at loose forward, Coyles at half backs and Marchy at hooker.

Posted Image

#24 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

i asked that question a few times as well, got told he was moving house and wasnt training, however id like Wilson and Normington as first choice centres next season with Maples and maybe Brickwood on the other wing.Watson at full bk, Grimmer at loose forward, Coyles at half backs and Marchy at hooker.

That looks good!

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#25 pudsey hawk

pudsey hawk
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sounds good kol, can't u replace eaton

#26 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Could also do with some new blood coming in, can't see HIST membership and crowds increasing if we just have the same players , and especially the same coaching staff.

Haven't seen anything about promotion and relegation from the RL,-- time will tell.

#27 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

There are a few other familiar faces I'd like to see back again next season ... (in no particular order), Kain, Menzies, Haley, Oakes ...

#28 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Like it. Title winning side.

#29 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Surely Kain at full back, Watson on the wing. Rest of your selection sounds good.

#30 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Kain is good in defence, but he attack has been poor for quite a while, he was killing us against Sheffield away; he was getting to all the right places but was just dying with the ball.

#31 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Kain is good in defence, but he attack has been poor for quite a while, he was killing us against Sheffield away; he was getting to all the right places but was just dying with the ball.

I did not go to Sheffield as it was a night game, and could not get the night off work , so cannot comment on that game. I  always have thought  Kain looked as fast as any of our backs. Maybe he just had a bad game for once. Lets face it we improved this season when he was brought into the fullback position.

I do like Watson on the attack from fullback, but his defence in that position is suspect, as it's in a position that counts, so much.

Still think Kain is the better option at fullback, when we can put Watson on the wing, or centre, and let him show his speed , of which he has got in abundance.

#32 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

Watson signed an 18 month contract mid season so I doubt he will be out of the 17 numbers next season. I even think Kain may have to give up his illustrious Number 1 jersey for the first time in (I don't know how many years).
Watson had a brilliant 15 games for us in his first season at this level. There were silly mistakes in most of his games, I would be the first to say it- but there were flashes of brilliance too. Look at all the big games we played Sheffield, Halifax, Batley. He mopped everything up then did something silly which may have cost us 6 points and maybe the game. But he will learn from that.

I think Watson was dropped in the season because his passion got in the way of his rugby. At Keighley away he scored a great try then got sin binned for a silly tackle. Week after got sin binned for a tackle on Cooke. He played well at Barrow then got dropped to teach him a lesson and to work on his mistakes. Kain stepped in and had a great first game but cost us a try I remember. Played well again and did the same again. Then at Dewsbury away Kain had a shocker. I thought he would have been dropped then but the relegation battle was on and Eaton was to scared to change things as results were in our favour.
On another note Brickwood was runner up as player of the year, but he was dropped for half of it - how does that work?

Next season in my opinion I see it as:
Watson
Maples
Normington or Keinhorst from Leeds
Brickwood or Wilson or Minns from Leeds
Kain (if he signs) or Duckworth from Leeds
Coyle
Coyle or Sutcliffe from Leeds

Not sure about the forwards but we will have:
March and Tebb as rotating Hookers with Haigh in now and again.
Yates will be back or Singleton but not both.
Davies, Menzies, Hayley, Houston in no particular order.
Alex Foster will be in there as will Grimshaw- may be at 13.

#33 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

By the way. That's your 5 dual reg players in my opinion for next season with Achurch thrown in as he will have a shocker at some stage in the season and be left out.

#34 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

Watson signed an 18 month contract mid season so I doubt he will be out of the 17 numbers next season. I even think Kain may have to give up his illustrious Number 1 jersey for the first time in (I don't know how many years).
Watson had a brilliant 15 games for us in his first season at this level. There were silly mistakes in most of his games, I would be the first to say it- but there were flashes of brilliance too. Look at all the big games we played Sheffield, Halifax, Batley. He mopped everything up then did something silly which may have cost us 6 points and maybe the game. But he will learn from that.

I think Watson was dropped in the season because his passion got in the way of his rugby. At Keighley away he scored a great try then got sin binned for a silly tackle. Week after got sin binned for a tackle on Cooke. He played well at Barrow then got dropped to teach him a lesson and to work on his mistakes. Kain stepped in and had a great first game but cost us a try I remember. Played well again and did the same again. Then at Dewsbury away Kain had a shocker. I thought he would have been dropped then but the relegation battle was on and Eaton was to scared to change things as results were in our favour.
On another note Brickwood was runner up as player of the year, but he was dropped for half of it - how does that work?

Next season in my opinion I see it as:
Watson
Maples
Normington or Keinhorst from Leeds
Brickwood or Wilson or Minns from Leeds
Kain (if he signs) or Duckworth from Leeds
Coyle
Coyle or Sutcliffe from Leeds

Not sure about the forwards but we will have:
March and Tebb as rotating Hookers with Haigh in now and again.
Yates will be back or Singleton but not both.
Davies, Menzies, Hayley, Houston in no particular order.
Alex Foster will be in there as will Grimshaw- may be at 13.

You haven't mentioned Lewis Reed he looks a big unit why hasn't he been getting into the Keithley side him being in the Bulls system you would imagine he was a good prospect once upon a time.
chappy

#35 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

You haven't mentioned Lewis Reed he looks a big unit why hasn't he been getting into the Keithley side him being in the Bulls system you would imagine he was a good prospect once upon a time.

I don't know what he is like so will reserve judgement. However if he is anything like the other person we got from C1 (mr clough) Then I guess he is only here to make the numbers up.

#36 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

I don't know what he is like so will reserve judgement. However if he is anything like the other person we got from C1 (mr clough) Then I guess he is only here to make the numbers up.

Is he the same Clough who was at York.
chappy

#37 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Is he the same Clough who was at York.

yes same Cloughy, fairly good player but really needs to work on his fitness.

#38 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:47 PM

thought so when he played with our grimmer he was a really strong go forward lad looks a bit jowly in his picture but he will have to work on it if he want to get a place hope he does.
chappy

#39 jaw

jaw
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Lewis Reed only made a couple of appearances for the Cougars early on in the season when the injury list was high. He spent the back end of the season out on loan in Championship 1 with Hemel Stags. Sorry, but I wouldn't get too excited.

#40 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Lewis Reed only made a couple of appearances for the Cougars early on in the season when the injury list was high. He spent the back end of the season out on loan in Championship 1 with Hemel Stags. Sorry, but I wouldn't get too excited.

Lets hope the Lad can reprieve his career with the Hawks every body deserves a chance and Div 1 might be the platform hes looking towards
  • jaw likes this
chappy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users