- - - - -

Players in and out for 2014 and the prospects

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#41 007

• Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

Lets hope the Lad can reprieve his career with the Hawks every body deserves a chance and Div 1 might be the platform hes looking towards

think he got man of the match when we played Keighley in April

#42 jaw

jaw
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

Lets hope the Lad can reprieve his career with the Hawks every body deserves a chance and Div 1 might be the platform hes looking towards

I really hope he does a job for you

#43 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:16 AM

Can't envisage Leeds seeing the benefit of Sutcliffe or Keinhorst playing in Championship 1 next season. I'd expect to see some of their younger Academy players in your side next season.

Edited by TheTerminator, 16 September 2013 - 12:17 AM.

Posted Image

#44 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

Can't envisage Leeds seeing the benefit of Sutcliffe or Keinhorst playing in Championship 1 next season. I'd expect to see some of their younger Academy players in your side next season.

sutcliffe is first team at leeds playing every week jimmy would be the same if he wasn't injured atm

#45 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

I see your point but not sure I agree. These guys are now too old for the U19s so need somewhere to play. Keinhorst won't get a game in front of Moon or Watkins so where does he go. Likewise with Sutcliffe, he won't play in front of Ward either, so where does he play? Sutcliffe is well thought of but even C1 is a step up from U19s so it's not beneath him. Also he has a lot of work to do on his game I think before he is seen as a regular in the 17. Expect to see these two plus others I mentioned earlier with us next year. IMO of course

#46 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

There are a few other familiar faces I'd like to see back again next season ... (in no particular order), Kain, Menzies, Haley, Oakes ...

Personally, I can't see the point in signing ALL last years team again. Cherry pick the best ones and try to replace others with new players.

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#47 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Personally, I can't see the point in signing ALL last years team again. Cherry pick the best ones and try to replace others with new players.

why? This years team would have walked championship 1

#48 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

I mentioned Lewis further up the thread good player we had him on loan at Oldham last year, good signing 4 u guys. Whats happening with Menzies? He signed again for you?

#49 james cunny

james cunny

maximus aurelius

• Coach
  • 5,283 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Not as yet think he is looking at his options reckon he will be going
Hunslet Hawks Champions 2010

#50 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Not as yet think he is looking at his options reckon he will be going

He was getting it about Featherstone wanted him dont know how true it was.
chappy

#51 hunsletnewboy

hunsletnewboy
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Watson signed an 18 month contract mid season so I doubt he will be out of the 17 numbers next season. I even think Kain may have to give up his illustrious Number 1 jersey for the first time in (I don't know how many years).
Watson had a brilliant 15 games for us in his first season at this level. There were silly mistakes in most of his games, I would be the first to say it- but there were flashes of brilliance too. Look at all the big games we played Sheffield, Halifax, Batley. He mopped everything up then did something silly which may have cost us 6 points and maybe the game. But he will learn from that.

I think Watson was dropped in the season because his passion got in the way of his rugby. At Keighley away he scored a great try then got sin binned for a silly tackle. Week after got sin binned for a tackle on Cooke. He played well at Barrow then got dropped to teach him a lesson and to work on his mistakes. Kain stepped in and had a great first game but cost us a try I remember. Played well again and did the same again. Then at Dewsbury away Kain had a shocker. I thought he would have been dropped then but the relegation battle was on and Eaton was to scared to change things as results were in our favour.
On another note Brickwood was runner up as player of the year, but he was dropped for half of it - how does that work?

Next season in my opinion I see it as:
Watson
Maples
Normington or Keinhorst from Leeds
Brickwood or Wilson or Minns from Leeds
Kain (if he signs) or Duckworth from Leeds
Coyle
Coyle or Sutcliffe from Leeds

Not sure about the forwards but we will have:
March and Tebb as rotating Hookers with Haigh in now and again.
Yates will be back or Singleton but not both.
Davies, Menzies, Hayley, Houston in no particular order.
Alex Foster will be in there as will Grimshaw- may be at 13.

I didn't know Brickwood was runner up in PoY, if you look at stats he only missed 8 games out of 29. He got dropped part way through season having done nothing wrong on wing. Eaton then brought him back in playing in centre or second row. The last few games i've seen him play, hes just got on with it, whatever position he plays, and his defence has been incredible, defending in middle of park against players well above his size and weight, a lot of this goes un-noticed by the fans i suspect, maybe thats why he got runner-up, i dont know, just guessing.

Theres competition for places, but hes a good lad to have because he can defend and play wing, centre & 2nd row. I don't know if hes signed on for next season or if there wanting him.

Edited by hunsletnewboy, 16 September 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#52 staitheclosehawk

staitheclosehawk
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hopefully Bricky will stay very underrated player, says on club Twitter that Akairdere signed from Rams and Lyons from York.

#53 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

That was my view as well when I made that statement, we must be careful not to underestimate what the quality of Championship 1 may be, but those of us who saw the Cup game against a rather limited Oldham side early in the season would have been surprised that they finished just two points off the top of the league. In any case there are going to be several squad changes next season, we already know Pryce, Haughey and Welham won't be there.

As for Dual Reg, it's still not clear what the format/rules will be next season, but in any case there are 101 reasons why the club needs to take a more pragmatic approach to DR next year. The statistic that DR players occupied 16% of the make up of the team over the course of last season was too high in my book, and next year the statement won't wash that we need all those players in order to compete at the level we'll be playing at.

#54 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Hopefully Bricky will stay very underrated player, says on club Twitter that Akairdere signed from Rams and Lyons from York.

Akairdere is a winger and Lyons is a centre/second row formally at Feth
chappy

#55 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

And then what the following season? It's a time for re-building now with some youngsters if necessary

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#56 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

That was my view as well when I made that statement, we must be careful not to underestimate what the quality of Championship 1 may be, but those of us who saw the Cup game against a rather limited Oldham side early in the season would have been surprised that they finished just two points off the top of the league. In any case there are going to be several squad changes next season, we already know Pryce, Haughey and Welham won't be there.

As for Dual Reg, it's still not clear what the format/rules will be next season, but in any case there are 101 reasons why the club needs to take a more pragmatic approach to DR next year. The statistic that DR players occupied 16% of the make up of the team over the course of last season was too high in my book, and next year the statement won't wash that we need all those players in order to compete at the level we'll be playing at.

Apparently the RFL have stated that DR will continue in it's present form next season.

#57 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I thought Brickwood played well last term and thought he had a better start to the season than Maples and Pryce.  But when Keinhorst and Wellham were playing centre it meant Brickwood, Maples, Pryce, Watson & Kain were all fighting for the 3 remaining spots at the back. 

Thinking about it now; first Barry Eaton dropped Kain, then Maples, then Brickwood, then Watson (not all at the same time of course).  I think the first to have been dropped on form alone should have been Pryce, but hey!

I'm assuming Brickwood has or will sign again as will Kain.  I think Watson will take the #1 shirt and maybe Kain will be at wing with Maples.  So not sure where that leaves Brickwood or Akairdere.  Maybe they could both go to centre?

Its all a guessing game at the moment and depending who does and doesnt sign will help us make the picture up.

#58 Gazmeister

Gazmeister
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Apparently the RFL have stated that DR will continue in it's present form next season.

As mentioned above, I expect (IMO) to see the following being introduced at Hunslet.  Whether we use them of not is up to B.E: 

Thomas Minns

Alex Foster

James Duckworth

Jimmy Keinhorst

Liam Sutcliffe

Also I would question with the exception of Keinhorst. are the above any better than what we already have?

#59 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

As mentioned above, I expect (IMO) to see the following being introduced at Hunslet. Whether we use them of not is up to B.E:

Thomas Minns
Alex Foster
James Duckworth
Jimmy Keinhorst
Liam Sutcliffe

Also I would question with the exception of Keinhorst. are the above any better than what we already have?

sutty is class, the others need to develop before making a call on them.

#60 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

And then what the following season? It's a time for re-building now with some youngsters if necessary

...and that's why I suggest a pragmatic approach to the use (or overuse) of Dual Reg next season!

Despite the continuing vacillations from the RFL, I would like to see the team operate with an absolute maximum of three DR's in any one game (and that would include Yates who we'll hopefully still see plenty of). I know that that still works at about 16% of the team but in some games we would have two, one or even none.

The view that we are capable of standing on our own two feet took a bit of a battering from several quarters, both inside and outside the club, last season. If it looks like we can't even do so at C1 level - and at the same time giving youth a chance - then we'll just be providing more ammunition for those doubters. Kids like Woods have been on the books for well over a year now and not once pulled on a first team shirt ... if it doesn't happen next season then I think we can deduce it probably will never happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users