League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Does London need a top-class Super League club? (Merged Threads)

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

Redundancies at London to secure the club's future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/23994269

Looks like the future will be sorted soon.

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

It doesn't make you think of a side that intends to stay in SL.

They finished bottom this year and need to finish at least two places higher next year to avoid relegation.

Naturally redundancies in the back office and a much weaker squad are not the way to achieve this.

They seem to be planning for CC.

#3 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

It doesn't make you think of a side that intends to stay in SL.They finished bottom this year and need to finish at least two places higher next year to avoid relegation.Naturally redundancies in the back office and a much weaker squad are not the way to achieve this.They seem to be planning for CC.

Very difficult to imagine they can do much else. Until they are sold, they can't invest in next year's team & by then, there won't be many players left! Expect they will look to do the same as Wakey - best they can next season with limited resources & then aim to use the new structure to move forward & get back into SL if they lose their place next year.

#4 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Non statement from Broncos.
http://www.londonbro...m/news/5119.php
The only slight positive is they are looking to have a club in 2014
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Very difficult to imagine they can do much else. Until they are sold, they can't invest in next year's team & by then, there won't be many players left! Expect they will look to do the same as Wakey - best they can next season with limited resources & then aim to use the new structure to move forward & get back into SL if they lose their place next year.

I agree that they have no other rational choice but it does sound like whatever their "Plan A" was, it hasn't worked.

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:16 PM

Non statement from Broncos.
http://www.londonbro...m/news/5119.php
The only slight positive is they are looking to have a club in 2014

That reads like a bit of time buying waffle, if I were a Broncos fans right now, I would be fearing the worst.

Sad times

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,171 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

This is not going to end well.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Sad to hear, hope those who are let go get fixed up soon with something else.

Edited by shrek, 06 September 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#9 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Could end up being a Salford type scenario, hopes the eternal optimist in me!

#10 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Gus Mackay should be made redundant.

#11 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:29 PM

Gus Mackay should be made redundant.

That's if we're being kind to him. He's the straw that broke the camel's back - one bad decision after another. The latest being the club holding the Player of The Year event this week, and fans only finding out about it when players were posting the results on twitter.

Thirty years of stumbling from one crisis to another, and now it looks like it's all over. One crisis too far. Such a shame that it's happening at the point where the junior development system is finally producing quality players. Anyone who thinks Rugby League will have another London team in the top flight any time soon is deluding themselves. Going to be a generation before that happens, if ever.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#12 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

If they can the bloke who has the greatest kick off routine, there'll be hell to pay

#13 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:29 PM

Taking the positives out of this statement

• The players have at last been informed of what is going on
  • The RFL has also spoken to the players
  • Steve Magee - The Real Mr London Broncos - Short-Term future is secure

Err that's it...

Negatives

• You cannot run a Super League Club with No Ticketing, PR or Marketing staff. IF ian Ramsdale is to be believed there will be no Backroom staff apart from Steve McGee, Tony Rea and a couple of Player Performance managers.
  • It reads like the Youth set up is to be dismantled. So those on here who have - rightly - pointed out that the clubs juniors are worth persevering with cannot have this as an reason for retaining the club any longer

I am not sure though for the Under 19's and their families this is such a great surprise. Post -the Under 19 game before the Huddersfield match not only did some of the parents not stay for the main game but some of the emotional post game hugs between players and families had a air of finality about it.

One thing Rammo has got wrong is that a lot of the staff contracts such as the PR man expire on 30th September so the club avoids paying redundancy on the basis that this is the expiry of a fixed term contract and most staff have under two years service.

Robertson and Kaufusi will be going.to whoever wants them.

The club needs to reduce costs and cannot afford the £ 250,000 rent at The Stoop (David Hughes - Last Quins RL Fan Forum), Leyton Orient would be just as expensive. Gillingham is off the table and so it would appear is the Hive. The only alternative would be to approach Fusion the owners of new River about a ground share with the Skolars and of course, if the club ended there it would not be as a Super League club at all.

Its getting more than 75% certain that the club will go next week unless there is someone around who no-one knows about.

The RFL must now act to protect the integrity of the game and take decisive action regarding the composition of Super League 2014. I have absolutely no doubt that the contents of todays training ground discussion at Roehampton will leak out onto the internet over the coming days. From a PR perspective there is a simple choice for the RFL take decisive action now or allow the Broncos saga to become the defining narrative of the Super League playoffs and upcoming World Cup. :(

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

It doesn't make you think of a side that intends to stay in SL.They finished bottom this year and need to finish at least two places higher next year to avoid relegation.Naturally redundancies in the back office and a much weaker squad are not the way to achieve this.They seem to be planning for CC.

You left off the smiley face.

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

You left off the smiley face.

There is no reason to be smiling.

#16 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

There is no reason to be smiling.

Yep, it's disappointing that London have ended up here.

It's well trodden ground on here but a team in London should be sustainable by now

#17 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

The real sad thing is,there not on there own in being unsustainable

#18 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

We just need a third team to go jugs-up and there could be a decent round robin scrap to avoid those bottom two places next year.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo, 06 September 2013 - 10:39 PM.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#19 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

Haven't Barnet FC just moved into a new ground? They're hardly cash rich, and might welcome the income of a tenant. I'm sure it'd meet the SL capacity criteria.

* Edit - just belatedly realised that 'The Hive' IS the new Barnet ground. Shame its unavailable as it looks like it'd be a pretty suitable option for the Broncos. Anyone know why its 'no longer' an option?

Edited by TheTerminator, 07 September 2013 - 12:38 AM.

Posted Image

#20 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

Very sad, it's like watching a beached whale die

The timing of all these clubs going through trouble is impeccable with regard to WC PR - we don't half know how to shoot ourselves in the foot

Broncos saddens me more than any other though

Edited by amh, 07 September 2013 - 05:48 AM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users