Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Does London need a top-class Super League club? (Merged Threads)

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#21 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

For a club (and i use that term loosely) that has so few staff beyond the coaching staff, to actually make some people at the place redundant shows what an absolutely awful mess David Hughes and 'Goose' McKay have made of the Broncos in the last couple of years.. If, and its a big if, they're in for 2014 it certainly will be the last year for them, unless a takeover of the club happens.

It sickens me to see what a complete cock-up these people have made of running a pro sports club here in London. For the record, imo, they've not  "had a good go" of exposing the people of London to Rugby League, because the biggest failure (of many) they have committed is in NOT exposing the game of Rugby League to the people of London.. how the hell do you expect people to support a team and a sport when you don't tell people its there in the first place. Complete idiots.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#22 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

For a club (and i use that term loosely) that has so few staff beyond the coaching staff, to actually make some people at the place redundant shows what an absolutely awful mess David Hughes and 'Goose' McKay have made of the Broncos in the last couple of years.. If, and its a big if, they're in for 2014 it certainly will be the last year for them, unless a takeover of the club happens.

It sickens me to see what a complete cock-up these people have made of running a pro sports club here in London. For the record, imo, they've not  "had a good go" of exposing the people of London to Rugby League, because the biggest failure (of many) they have committed is in NOT exposing the game of Rugby League to the people of London.. how the hell do you expect people to support a team and a sport when you don't tell people its there in the first place. Complete idiots.

I doubt that you will find many people who have followed and or continue to do so in London and the South will disagree with any of that.

Shambolic doesnt scratch the surface when describing our Club. Very sad to have witnessed its total capitulation over the recent past.

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:07 AM

Agree with all that.

Very hard to see that anything at all can be in place for 2014.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Interesting that people blame Gus Mackay for the problems. My view is that the club was already in tatters before he came in and he was in a lose-lose situation. I dont think anyone would have done better with David Hughes in charge alone.

The recent mistakes have been down to poor player recruitment and not moving after the rebrand back to the London Broncos, and then getting a decent team.

The problem is that David Hughes has not had sufficient time or money to put the club on a sound footing and it would be better if someone else came in to help or takeover. The problem now is that the club is probably worthless so David Hughes will be unlikely to want to part unless he can somehow have a lucky season and raise the profile.

Has Koukash got any relatives?

Hope that the club can stay alive even if in on the Co-Op leagues. It wont be too bad when the new structures come in, and the club could easily find its way back in SL as can Cru

#25 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

Is it time for pro RL within the M25 to regroup and consolidate? A single, strong London RL entity playing Championship rugby at New River Stadium might be the best option until another Koukash can be found.

#26 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Is it time for pro RL within the M25 to regroup and consolidate? A single, strong London RL entity playing Championship rugby at New River Stadium might be the best option until another Koukash can be found.

Interesting listening to Hector McNeil on "Rugby League Down South" saying that London needs to consolidate its resources, daft to have Broncos, Skolars & RFL development staff in three different places in London. Said that the time wasn't right for Broncos to move to New River Stadium now. Said the strategy needs to be to have a London team at Super League, Championship & Championship 1 level. Said he can't see why the RFL don't get that, although maybe them being miles away in Leeds explains things a bit!

#27 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

I tend to look at this forum often but have never posted before but thought i would to allay some fears on this matter.

One of my friends at RFL informed me that there will be a new owner of Broncos next year, taking over from David Hughes. The club will still be around, at the Hive, whether that remains in Super League or Championship remains to be decided.

The new owner is looking to run it more sustainably, which is the way any business should be run, however that will also mean that gone are the days of spending mega bucks on Aussies. I can only see it as a positive to rebuild with a London core, however the proof will be in the pudding as to how successful it is, and more importantly how successful the new owner can run the club, as clearly the structure/setup is the most important aspect, which has been severley lacking in Hughes' era.

#28 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Interesting listening to Hector McNeil on "Rugby League Down South" saying that London needs to consolidate its resources, daft to have Broncos, Skolars & RFL development staff in three different places in London. Said that the time wasn't right for Broncos to move to New River Stadium now. Said the strategy needs to be to have a London team at Super League, Championship & Championship 1 level. Said he can't see why the RFL don't get that, although maybe them being miles away in Leeds explains things a bit!

Hector has been saying this for a long time (I've been saying it for even longer). It's the only viable and sustainable long term option in my opinion

#29 DoubleD

DoubleD
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

There's no point merging clubs if they can be run sustainably as separate entities, which is what the move to Barnet should do for Broncos. There's no point having the Bronco's at New River, as there would be nothing to distinguish them from Skolars.

Moving to Barnet, which is near enough to New River, as separate entities, would help the sharing of resources, development staff etc and you could then look to build a rugby league hub in North London from Broncos, Skolars and Hemel

#30 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,477 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

I tend to look at this forum often but have never posted before but thought i would to allay some fears on this matter.

One of my friends at RFL informed me that there will be a new owner of Broncos next year, taking over from David Hughes. The club will still be around, at the Hive, whether that remains in Super League or Championship remains to be decided.

The new owner is looking to run it more sustainably, which is the way any business should be run, however that will also mean that gone are the days of spending mega bucks on Aussies. I can only see it as a positive to rebuild with a London core, however the proof will be in the pudding as to how successful it is, and more importantly how successful the new owner can run the club, as clearly the structure/setup is the most important aspect, which has been severley lacking in Hughes' era.

There would appear to be some planning issues with The Hive (which is in Edgware, near Canons Park station on the Underground, for those who are interested). If these can be sorted out this, if it comes about, looks to be good news - my personal preference would be to drop into the Championship, as as it would enable the club to consolidate and, given a halfway decent season on the pitch, membership of SL2 in 2015. This is what NW Crusaders are looking to and is why they and a number of lower division clubs are keen on the proposed new structure.

#31 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Ian Ramsdale reporting on Twitter that the RFL likely to take on responsibility for running a Rugby League academy in London in 2014. About chuffing time. Really exploiting the the playing potential in the south is in all our interests.

Obviously we all know southerners are softies, but out of 8m people we ought to be able to find a few tough enough to play the game at the top level, which can only help to increase the playing pool available to the national coach.

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,179 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

My personal preference would be to drop into the Championship, as as it would enable the club to consolidate and, given a halfway decent season on the pitch, membership of SL2 in 2015. This is what NW Crusaders are looking to and is why they and a number of lower division clubs are keen on the proposed new structure.

Dropping to the championship would enable the club to operate on a much lower budget, and enable it to operate part time. It would also remove the SKY monies as they stand and it would remove all the professional players from the club, reduce crowds to around 1,000 and leave the academy devoid of a place to pursue the professional careers they are chasing and the game in general wants to see them achieve. That's not consolidation but decline.

From the championship both Broncos and Crusaders will "aspire" to Superleage 2015, but the reality will still remain could they really compete with the top championship clubs like Featherstone, Halifax and Sheffield let alone the other SL club who will take the drop - such as wakefield and four Superleague clubs like castleford, Bradford Salford and Widnes?

Not a chance for me unless they find someone with big money, and if London did find that person, then hanging onto the SL place has to be the better bet.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 September 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#33 snoopy

snoopy
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

Dropping to the championship would enable the club to operate on a much lower budget, and enable it to operate part time. It would also remove the SKY monies as they stand and it would remove all the professional players from the club, reduce crowds to around 1,000 and leave the academy devoid of a place to pursue the professional careers they are chasing and the game in general wants to see them achieve. That's not consolidation but decline.

From the championship both Broncos and Crusaders will "aspire" to Superleage 2015, but the reality will still remain could they really compete with the top championship clubs like Featherstone, Halifax and Sheffield let alone the other SL club who will take the drop - such as wakefield and four Superleague clubs like castleford, Bradford Salford and Widnes?

Not a chance for me unless they find someone with big money, and if London did find that person, then hanging onto the SL place has to be the better bet.

Spot on. Any London players who showed any talent will be picked off by SL teams just as they do now in CC and CC1 so a strong London team will never emerge. The inability to get Northern players to move South will not change either so they will be stuffed.

#34 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Spot on. Any London players who showed any talent will be picked off by SL teams just as they do now in CC and CC1 so a strong London team will never emerge. The inability to get Northern players to move South will not change either so they will be stuffed.

The facts that seem to be overlooked is that attendances are heading below 1,000 anyway and Broncos have effectively closed down their academy. Maybe they could afford one as a Championship side.

#35 snoopy

snoopy
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

The facts that seem to be overlooked is that attendances are heading below 1,000 anyway and Broncos have effectively closed down their academy. Maybe they could afford one as a Championship side.

If recruitment restraints prevent them being competitive it will be one man and his dog. Even Northern fans will not put up with their team being crushed every week and we've had years of this now. After all the hoo ha about we must keep Bradford alive why are their supporters not backing the club in their hour of need? Its all about what happens on the pitch.

Edited by snoopy, 07 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#36 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

If recruitment restraints prevent them being competitive it will be one man and his dog. Even Northern fans will not put up with their team being crushed every week and we've had years of this now. After all the hoo ha about we must keep Bradford alive why are their supporters not backing the club in their hour of need? Its all about what happens on the pitch.

If you can't be competitive in SL then logic dictates that you need to drop a division.

I don't really know what you mean about "recruitment restraints" unless you are talking about hiring loads of expensive Aussies that probably won't get visas. The problems with that are the strength of the Aussie economy and the attitude of the UKBA more than the RFL.

#37 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

The running of any club always comes back to the fan base and owners.

This is where the money comes from after all.

The RFL and wider RL community are not there to run or subsidize other clubs.

The drama over Bradford was that the club could go belly up mid-season.

The plan for SLE to take over the running at Bradford was a temporary measure only.  I would have expected the same from the RFL if London were going to fold pre-June.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#38 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I don't really know what you mean about "recruitment restraints" unless you are talking about hiring loads of expensive Aussies that probably won't get visas.

The fact that living costs in London are massively higher than in the north. 70k will go alot further up north than in London, so they'll have to pay over the odds to get players of equivalent standard to relocate to London.

Whilst player development in London has obviously made huge strides in recent years, the production line still isn't producing them in the quantity or quality needed for a successful SL team. Plus, the best players will likely head to a bigger club up north where their wages will go further and they have greater chance of success.

I find it bizarre that people are surprised that London can spend up to the salary cap and not be competitive. To be able to compete with northern clubs they would probably need a salary cap of double what they currently get.

Edited by RugbyLeagueGeek, 07 September 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#39 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

What's the point? They clearly can't afford to pay the full cap (or anywhere near it) anyway. Double their cap and they won't be competitive anyway.

#40 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:24 PM

What's the point? They clearly can't afford to pay the full cap (or anywhere near it) anyway. Double their cap and they won't be competitive anyway.

They are paying to the cap.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users