Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Does London need a top-class Super League club? (Merged Threads)

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#61 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

The Broncos are preparing or life in the Championship and will never return to Super League. They will just become a feeder club for Super League clubs.

Feeding what? To quote Red Rooster if anyone missed it........

There are four Professional Rugby Union clubs that would love the RFL to set up an academy in London.  Has it not occured to anyone to think that given the choice of relocation to the north or the chance of a professional career in the South promising youngsters will opt for Union almost everytime.

#62 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

With a bit of luck we'll see the Skolars in the second division within a couple of years and maybe we'll have a proper London derby with the Broncos and Skolars fighting for promotion to SL.

Really?

Well at least I heard it here first.

Look forward to South Wales Scorpions.v.North Wales Crusaders battle for an SL place too.

I think Red Rooster should be told?

Edited by The Parksider, 08 September 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#63 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

They finished bottom this year

Accurate as ever

#64 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

Accurate as ever

:yes: :yes: :yes:

#65 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Really?

Well at least I heard it here first.

Look forward to South Wales Scorpions.v.North Wales Crusaders battle for an SL place too.

I think Red Rooster should be told?

This cheerful notion that we should have championship clubs scattered everywhere kind of misses one key fact: the existing CC1 clubs are only sustainable because of the £70,000 they get from the RFL (some are struggling regardless). Where are the extra £70ks gonna come from to fund a glut of extra clubs?

The RFL and the game itself needs to be really pragmatic about where it places its resources.

#66 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

Accurate as ever

Amazing cynicism from someone with 119 posts. Tell me what name did you used to post under before you were banned.

#67 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Amazing cynicism from someone with 119 posts. Tell me what name did you used to post under before you were banned.

Never been banned. 0 out of 2 now

#68 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:49 PM

Never been banned. 0 out of 2 now

Then how can you possibly comment on how accurate my posts are?

#69 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:57 PM

Then how can you possibly comment on how accurate my posts are?

On a balance of probabilities I suppose you may have got one or two things right out of your 15200 posts. Then again a broken clock is correct twice a day

#70 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

On a balance of probabilities I suppose you may have got one or two things right out of your 15200 posts. Then again a broken clock is correct twice a day

You must have read about 10 of my posts and you think you can extrapolate to 15,000 from that.

And you think I'm the one with the problem with accuracy....

#71 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,935 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

This cheerful notion that we should have championship clubs scattered everywhere kind of misses one key fact: the existing CC1 clubs are only sustainable because of the £70,000 they get from the RFL (some are struggling regardless). Where are the extra £70ks gonna come from to fund a glut of extra clubs?

The RFL and the game itself needs to be really pragmatic about where it places its resources.

Indeed, the thread on Scorpions exposes the reality of how these clubs are created by subsidy. The record of CC and CC1 clubs producing professional players in any number isn't even there, and they don't attract fans in any number either. There's no business strength in numbers and if anything swallows money and wastes it it's CC clubs. In SL clubs attract heavy private investment, clubs attract paying fans in their thousands and clubs develop professional players - even London Broncos.

The singular contrived arguments against foreigners like London taking SL slots and "not knowing their place" include how Celtic Crusaders "wasted" millions in their failed venture, that the league contains nearly 30 clubs who have thrown money at trying to make RL work is forgotten. IMHO bottom line is the best possible payback for RL is from well structured SL clubs with everything the game has invested into that, but I have to credit Mo Lyndsay with that solid idea. Sentiment and fantasy don't pay bills.

Edited by The Parksider, 09 September 2013 - 06:22 AM.

#72 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:27 AM

You must have read about 10 of my posts and you think you can extrapolate to 15,000 from that.

And you think I'm the one with the problem with accuracy....

Jeff has been a member longer than you... maybe some people just aren't as gobby as others?

#73 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,524 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Indeed, the thread on Scorpions exposes the reality of how these clubs are created by subsidy. The record of CC and CC1 clubs producing professional players in any number isn't even there, and they don't attract fans in any number either. There's no business strength in numbers and if anything swallows money and wastes it it's CC clubs. In SL clubs attract heavy private investment, clubs attract paying fans in their thousands and clubs develop professional players - even London Broncos.

The singular contrived arguments against foreigners like London taking SL slots and "not knowing their place" include how Celtic Crusaders "wasted" millions in their failed venture, that the league contains nearly 30 clubs who have thrown money at trying to make RL work is forgotten. IMHO bottom line is the best possible payback for RL is from well structured SL clubs with everything the game has invested into that, but I have to credit Mo Lyndsay with that solid idea. Sentiment and fantasy don't pay bills.

I wouldn't endorse that, Parky. The Chsmpionship clubs are vital and worthy of the RFL's time and investment; we just need to be realistic about how many the governing body can feasibly subsidise and be extremely selective/pragmatic when deciding where to invest.

If we could afford Championship clubs in every shire, I'd be all for it, but we can't.

#74 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

Really interesting article in League Express today by Hector McNeil on the need for the Broncos to be in the top flight. Also sets out a strategy for the game in London, which on the face of it seems to make a lot of sense.

I think though that he hits the nail on the head with the following comment: "What is needed is investment, vision, guts and leadership from all involved. My fear is the game doesn't have the intellectual capacity or experience to see and deliver this as we stand."

Our game is a democracy, and I think that last sentence from Hector has been the problem for our game throughout its history.

Do those charged with running the top 14 clubs in this country have the "intellectual capacity or experience" to set and deliver a vision for the future growth of the game?

Ask fans of clubs like Wakey, Cas, Salford, Bulls etc whether the people running their clubs in recent years have that "intellectual capacity or experience"!!!!

#75 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

Jeff has been a member longer than you... maybe some people just aren't as gobby as others?

He's gobby enough in this thread.

#76 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

You seem to have forgotten that Wigan have a partnership arrangement with Scorpions. Now maybe they do this out of the goodness of their hearts but I'd suggest that unlike you they think that a CC1 club can uncover some talent for them. Now whose opinion is worth more I wonder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/15777086

Edited by Northern Sol, 09 September 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#77 brooza

brooza
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hearing on twitter that the chairman of Barnet FC is looking to buy (debt-free) London Broncos. These redundancies are a part of that.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#78 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Whose tweeting that Brooza?.. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#79 brooza

brooza
  • 4,289 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Whose tweeting that Brooza?.. 

Think it was Chris Irvine and Rammo

EDIT: It's in LE, apparantly

Edited by brooza, 09 September 2013 - 12:21 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#80 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,958 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hearing on twitter that the chairman of Barnet FC is looking to buy (debt-free) London Broncos. These redundancies are a part of that.

That'll endear Barnet to the local community even more!

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users