Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Don Valley remnants?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Has Kevin Nicholas looked into the feasibility of contacting Sheffield City Council with a view to purchasing a couple of the concrete blocks of terracing (plus seats) that will presumably be destroyed with the demolition of Don Valley? Not an ideal solution to completing the Long Stand, but maybe an opportunity to fill the vacant area at the bottom end of the ground? Maybe something worth looking into for the club?

Posted Image

#2 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Not a daft thought!

#3 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Why pay for something when Kevin has been astute enough in the past to get grants, i doubt he would want cast offs anyway, no point spending good money on something just for asthetic reasons in todays climate.

#4 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Worked for Featherstone. Would have thought Sheffield Council would pay the costs of transporting it too as would cost them more to bulldoze and dispose of it.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#5 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Fev got a complete stand including the main steel infrastructure, theres no infrastructure at Sheffield, theres just piles of concrete with seats bolted on.

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:31 AM

Doubt if you could reuse the concrete.  The seats - yes there are plenty.  Virtually unused.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Doubt if you could reuse the concrete. The seats - yes there are plenty. Virtually unused.

There will be seats at the Don Valley that have NEVER been used in 24 years - quite literally. I remember attending a few events during the first few years that the stadium was open - one was a 40/20 style floodlit cricket match between Yorkshire and a Rest of the World outfit. Things just seemed to quickly dry up soon after. The facility itself is still pretty impressive in design, and looks far more modern (in terms of years) than it actually is. Sheffield City Council should be thoroughly ashamed that they have allowed such an expensive and potentially important asset to go virtually unused for so many years.

Posted Image

#8 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

There will be seats at the Don Valley that have NEVER been used in 24 years - quite literally. I remember attending a few events during the first few years that the stadium was open - one was a 40/20 style floodlit cricket match between Yorkshire and a Rest of the World outfit. Things just seemed to quickly dry up soon after. The facility itself is still pretty impressive in design, and looks far more modern (in terms of years) than it actually is. Sheffield City Council should be thoroughly ashamed that they have allowed such an expensive and potentially important asset to go virtually unused for so many years.

The seats out in the open are terrible mate, i went up into them to get a few pics like this http://gcsports.zenf...fe489#h69afe489 and they are close to falling to bete even though they are some sort of plastic, they are so heavily weathered that there is "crazing" all over them, the steel mounts have so badly rusted that something has started eating into the plastic around the fixings to the seats, i was asked not to sit on them as they were dangerous.

It does beggar belief that a then state of the art stadium could have been allowed to fall into such a state of decay

#9 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

The seats out in the open are terrible mate, i went up into them to get a few pics like this http://gcsports.zenf...fe489#h69afe489 and they are close to falling to bete even though they are some sort of plastic, they are so heavily weathered that there is "crazing" all over them, the steel mounts have so badly rusted that something has started eating into the plastic around the fixings to the seats, i was asked not to sit on them as they were dangerous.

It does beggar belief that a then state of the art stadium could have been allowed to fall into such a state of decay

Maybe the council planned all along to let parts of the ground get into such a state of disrepair? From your evidence it certainly seems as though they had little interest in any form of regular maintenance.

Posted Image

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

What's 40/20 cricket ? :snooks:

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

What's 40/20 cricket ? :snooks:

My bad.

Posted Image

#12 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 665 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

What a sad end to an otherwise happy Batley hunting ground!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users