Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What's going on at S.Wales Scorpions?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

According to their fans forums unless they get an extra £30,000 next year from the RFL they will not be playing.
http://www.rugbynetw...m?1346,14218106

Edited by bearman, 07 September 2013 - 05:18 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:33 PM

They're playing to low crowds in a skint area.  The footyball club vanished a couple of seasons ago and I think the local RU team has also had to scale back.  Not a specifically league problem but obviously it would be massively damaging to RL if its only club in south Wales were to go.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

Really interesting figures in that statement. Budget of £70k per season. £10k on coach travel, £35k on doctors, coaches, kit & accommodation. Leaving £25k for players. 25 player squad for 9 months = £110 each per month!

#4 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

I'm not sure which 30k, they were talking about that wasn't released last year.

#5 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Each CC1 club had their central funding reduced by £30,000 this year (in other words they received £100,000 in 2012; £70,000 in 2013) so that the three new clubs could receive central funding.

#6 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Ralph Rimmer of the RFL....Down to him!

#7 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:15 PM

Very sad that a club needs so little.

Get half the attendance at the GF to throw a £1 in a bucket..   Job done.

Edited by bewareshadows, 07 September 2013 - 06:16 PM.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#8 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Although hard to argue they should get more from the RFL than the rest in their league.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,489 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

All Championship clubs are operating on reduced central funding next year and have known that for a long time. Any club that can't cope with that will have to "reconsider their future".

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Number 7

Number 7
  • Coach
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

It would be a crying shame if our friends down in South Wales went to the wall after all they have tried to do down there.

Regards 7

#11 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:30 PM

Very sad that a club needs so little.

Get half the attendance at the GF to throw a £1 in a bucket..   Job done.

Do that for one club (I personally would be willing to contribute) and you have to do it for all. How about a £2 levy on all GF tickets to be shared around the CC1 clubs?

rldfsignature.jpg

#12 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

This is typical RL administration. Wine, dine and woo potential outpost clubs and then kick them in the nuts - particularly those who have to travel 1000s of miles every year. Just sort it out. FFS.

#13 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

The RFL also had hundreds of thousands of pounds from Bradford's reduced TV payout. SL clubs decided to share it between themselves.

#14 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 970 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Wigan are supposed to have close links with South Wales, can't they find the extra?

#15 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

This is typical RL administration. Wine, dine and woo potential outpost clubs and then kick them in the nuts - particularly those who have to travel 1000s of miles every year. Just sort it out. FFS.

Couldn't agree more.  It's like they want to make life as difficult as possible for the expansion clubs they say they want.  The RFL irritates me to infuriates me on a far too regular basis.  Without them in their current guise I'm sure our game would run smoothly!

#16 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

The RFL also had hundreds of thousands of pounds from Bradford's reduced TV payout. SL clubs decided to share it between themselves.

This really annoyed me at the time, and even more so now.

The money should have gone to the lower leagues not the SL clubs.

I also agree that an extra £2 on GF ticket prices (and the championship and championship 1 finals) should be an option, with the money going to the lower leagues. Even if it was voluntary I think there are enough people who would pay it.

#17 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,437 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

The RFL are happy to waste money at SL level with Bradford and Crusaders and yet fail to look after development clubs in the Championships. The RFL wanted development clubs to come to the table and rightly so. But to cut their budgets and allow them to struggle  I fail o understand. I would rather the SL clubs got each 50K less and development clubs including Sheffield, Doncaster, Gateshead and Cumbria given the money to help them. The RFL some to often fail to realize how important and diificult things are outside SL especially for development clubs.

#18 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

The RFL are happy to waste money at SL level with Bradford and Crusaders and yet fail to look after development clubs in the Championships. The RFL wanted development clubs to come to the table and rightly so. But to cut their budgets and allow them to struggle  I fail o understand. I would rather the SL clubs got each 50K less and development clubs including Sheffield, Doncaster, Gateshead and Cumbria given the money to help them. The RFL some to often fail to realize how important and diificult things are outside SL especially for development clubs.

Not sure I have much sympathy here. There was a club in South Wales, they went north, went bust and were re-born as the North Wales Crusaders and they seem to be making a fist of things. Another bunch of people started up the South Wales Scorpions when Crusders ŵent north. Good news, but it is up to them to be able to fund themselves. Would like to see more money for all clubs, but can't see why we should feel any more sorry for the Scorpions that we should for Skolars, Hemel, Oxford etc.

I'm a big fan of rugby league in Wales, but I've got serious doubts about whether South Wales is the place for a pro rugby league side. It seems a pretty crowded sports market down there, with not a lot of money to go round, and they even seem to struggle to have top line club rugby union sides.

#19 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Really interesting figures in that statement. Budget of £70k per season. £10k on coach travel, £35k on doctors, coaches, kit & accommodation. Leaving £25k for players. 25 player squad for 9 months = £110 each per month!

A bit of brinksmanship going on I think, and probably some over-exaggeration of costs too. Plus the fact that they get £70k from the RFL yet claim that is their total budget. So what happens to other income like gate receipts, sponsorship money, matchday income from bars, programmes, lottery etc then ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#20 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

This is turning into an Annus Horriblis for Rugby League.

The question here is simple, For Championship expansion clubs this issue is simply travel and accomodation costs. and yes, if the games rulers are committed to expansion then there needs to be an exemption . 

Clubs along the M62 do not have anything like the same costs for a routine day trip, So not it should not be handouts for all.

Lets get real here - You either support expansion or you do not . The limus test in this case and with other outpost clubs is whether there is any recognition that the problems of outposts clubs are different and that exemptions do need to be made.

I cannot believe we are seriously having a debate about this.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users