Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Swinton v Hunslet Final 1987

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gowers Magic Hands

Gowers Magic Hands
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Apologies if this has already been posted, but I've just noticed the whole of this match has been posted on You Tube. Seems like yesterday to me !

https://www.youtube....h?v=bY7NGSdtj4Q

#2 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Wasn't it actually "Swinton v New Hunslet"?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#3 steve wild

steve wild
  • Coach
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Nope. "New" added after re-launch in 1973 & dropped in 1980 I think it was.

#4 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

I was there that day, and loved it.
The very next day I began a new chapter in my work career, I went on Agency at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, right after the match, without waiting for the First Division game, I picked up my car, which was parked as far away as the old Job Centre on Trafford Road, and drove to Stevenage, passing over Coventry as they celebrated their FA Cup win the previous day. I never lived in Salford from then on, not really.
I still had post delivered to my parents house, & I went home regularly, but after Stevenage in was Derby City Hospital, followed by East Glamorgan General Hospital near Pontypridd, then Mount Vernon where met my first wife, settled in Uxbridge, and that was that. Occasional visits were all I can/could make from 1990

By the way, has anyone linked this on the Hunslet board, I'm sure, despite the score, some of them might like to see it?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#5 welsh lion

welsh lion
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

Interesting to hear your career history bleep1673, I travelled up from London that day to watch game, still remember The heroics of Les and the boys, Ratty's broken leg and all.
Lived in Wales since 89 and my two oldest children were born in East Glam hospital, where you worked, both are leaguies I hasten to add in this heathen land, although Caitlin still tells me off about throwing her in the air at the Brewery Field in 2005.
Ironically East Glam Hospital suffered the same fate as Station Rd and is now a housing estate. Coincidentally also lived in Uxbridge in the 80s.
Like you I am a long distance lion too, but have the video of this game on the bookshelf alongside my highlights video from a late eighties promotion season and I bore everyone at least once a year by watching them.

#6 hunslet ramone

hunslet ramone
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:20 AM

I was there that day, and loved it.
The very next day I began a new chapter in my work career, I went on Agency at the Lister Hospital in Stevenage, right after the match, without waiting for the First Division game, I picked up my car, which was parked as far away as the old Job Centre on Trafford Road, and drove to Stevenage, passing over Coventry as they celebrated their FA Cup win the previous day. I never lived in Salford from then on, not really.
I still had post delivered to my parents house, & I went home regularly, but after Stevenage in was Derby City Hospital, followed by East Glamorgan General Hospital near Pontypridd, then Mount Vernon where met my first wife, settled in Uxbridge, and that was that. Occasional visits were all I can/could make from 1990

By the way, has anyone linked this on the Hunslet board, I'm sure, despite the score, some of them might like to see it?

Yes they have linked it thankyou. 

I was at this game , yet it does not seem that long ago, only 26 years, as I agree with Gower's magic hand about that, and that's frightening.

A great day out, but not the result for us. I remember Les Holiday playing in this game for you, but really thought Danny Wilson played for you in this game. Cannot believe he did not play ? was he injured ?

my memory of that day was obviously wrong, having said that, to me he was your greatest player  , I have seen playing against us in your side. Les Holiday was a class act too for you.

Our greatest player in my opinion Graham King , had his worse game in a Hunslet shirt against you in this game. You deserved the win that day.

#7 tony

tony
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi guys,

I posted the video on youtube after searching hi and lo but managed to find a guy who had it and posted it to me. As you can see its an amateur video with amateur comentary.

My brother played in this final no8 Andy Sykes for Hunslet. I think he was a little annoyed about losing if you watch the very last minute of the game after the restart. Poor lad for swinton got a head butt and a punch lol...