Nick Clegg

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Actually, you're right, some may have voted for whoever and not give a toss about the NHS anyway, it's the hypocritical oafs who are now bleating about the continued NHS sell off while voting for a party who promise to continue selling it off.

In case you missed it, here's the bit from Labour. The bit in bold at the end.

I think you mean the Tories are handing over the bits not already handed over by Labour, take Capita.
http://www.capita.co...to-the-nhs.aspx
I suppose it's just a coincidence that Rod Aldridge handed over a shed load of cash to the Labour party.
As with B. Bailey, unfortunately the minority party you also voted for probably won't ever get the chance to renationalise it.

How do you know which party I voted for. The point I was making was that the libdems have completely let go of their principles for the sake of five years in a ministerial car.

This new groundbreaking policy of a tax on bags is not really something that ( in the grand scheme of things they promised to uphold at the election) people would be too bothered about. I would sooner they had the principles to either fight to get through their own headline policies or at least not support the government when they tried to enact policies that were completely opposite to their electoral policies.

No the libdems just wanted to keep their ministerial salaries, and now we are being told that this new legislation is what we all voted libdem for.

Edited by Bostik Bailey, 14 September 2013 - 01:53 PM.

#22 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

How do you know which party I voted for.

I don't know. But, I can make an educated guess. You've complained about the NHS "dismantling", which shows this is a big thing for you as you've not railed against most other things in the manifestos, therefore you won't have voted for one of the 3 main parties who had NHS "dismantling" in their manifestos. As these parties took 88% of the votes cast, the party you voted for must have been in a minority. Or, you didn't vote, but that would make your complaint rather hollow.

#23 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

I don't know. But, I can make an educated guess. You've complained about the NHS "dismantling", which shows this is a big thing for you as you've not railed against most other things in the manifestos, therefore you won't have voted for one of the 3 main parties who had NHS "dismantling" in their manifestos. As these parties took 88% of the votes cast, the party you voted for must have been in a minority. Or, you didn't vote, but that would make your complaint rather hollow.

Ok what about tuition fees,that was the first point I made.

If you want to start a thread about the NHS then please do so, this thread is about the lickspittle Tory whore that Nick Clegg has become. Who betrayed me and a lot of other poeple who were nieve enough to think they were an alternative party with socially respectful agenda.

#24 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

If you want to start a thread about the NHS then please do so, this thread is about the lickspittle Tory whore that Nick Clegg has become. Who betrayed me and a lot of other poeple who were nieve enough to think they were an alternative party with socially respectful agenda.

Not quite how I'd have put it but the sentiment is there :P

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#25 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

Not quite how I'd have put it but the sentiment is there :P

To vague? ;)

#26 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Next time, the Tories will form a pre-election concord  with UKIP and the Libdems will form one with Labour. Could be a close-run thing.

Howe many MPs do you envisage UKIP getting in 2015 or 2020?

#27 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,676 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:00 PM

Howe many MPs do you envisage UKIP getting in 2015 or 2020?

Depends how many seats that Cameron will offer not to stand in.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#28 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 525 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

there is not even the tiniest chance of that happening

#29 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Cleggie is going all out with the Tory coalition plan at the next election if there's another hung Parliament.  What about the equally credible role of agreeing to support the largest party but outside of government?  Agree to support the government in any confidence motion but nothing else, that would force the government to negotiate over everything, we might actually see a legislature with some balls for the first time ever and able to hold the government properly to account.

Clegg so clearly wanting another Tory coalition is just idiocy and a real vote loser.  It makes my decision to not vote for the Lib Dems next time even more firm.

Then there's the far more realistic option that we get a majority government next time and the Lib Dems are left as the ugly unwanted stepchild of Parliament with nothing beyond squeaky unheard speeches left to them in Parliament from their few remaining MPs.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#30 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

Be ###### at them for tuition fees, yes, they sold their soul to the devil.

You mentioned the NHS and the "dismantling" of it.

A socially respectful agenda? Hell fire, i thought i was unrealistic with my expectations for politicians.

#31 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Liberal Democrat Home Office Minister Jeremy Browne called for a national debate on whether the state should step in to prevent young Muslim women having to wear the full face veil,

( story here http://www.huffingto...l?utm_hp_ref=uk )

In something like 'What Have The Romans Ever Done For Us' from the Life of Brian, Nick Clegg was asked his views on this.  He said he would strongly opposed any banning of the veil.  But what about  in cases of national security he was asked, 'Oh yes, then there would have to be a ban'. What about in education, 'Oh yes, then there would have to be a ban'. And at airports, 'Oh yes, then there would have to be a ban'. And having to wear it being forced upon them, 'Oh yes, then there would have to be a ban'  ..... but other than that they should have a choice.   Doesn't really give the impression of being that decisive does he.

#32 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

Cleggie is going all out with the Tory coalition plan at the next election if there's another hung Parliament.  What about the equally credible role of agreeing to support the largest party but outside of government? 

They should offer to support the party that gives them the best chance of putting forward a Liberal Democrat policy agenda, which may not be the largest party.   There's no reason why the 2nd and 3rd largest parties shouldn't form a coalition.   

Agreeing to support the largest party is stupid when you don't yet know who that largest party will be. 

That's me.  I'm done.

#33 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

Clegg so clearly wanting another Tory coalition is just idiocy and a real vote loser.  It makes my decision to not vote for the Lib Dems next time even more firm.

He has no choice but to want a Tory coalition.  He won't get further power any other way.   The price of a future Lib/Lab coalition would have to be Clegg stepping down as party leader and taking many senior Lib Dems with him.   

The only way Clegg, Alexander, Laws and Cable have a political future with the Lib Dems after 2015 is in a continuing coalition with the Tories.

Clegg is a weak man, but he is not a stupid man.   If he thought there was any chance of him being a figure in a Labour led government he'd have toned down the anti-Labour rhetoric over the past few years, and would right now be trying to publicly build some bridges to Ed M (as that wierdo Tim Farron is notably doing).

My guess is that the next election will lead to a small Tory majority, and a much reduced Lib Dem presence in the Commons.  Nick Clegg and David Laws will end up on the Tory benches in the Lords.

That's me.  I'm done.

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,614 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I agree. A good and fair analysis.

#35 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Clegg: "In an ideal world I'd be Prime Minister" (Daily Mail linky)

Erm... no.

In my mind, he's the 4th best political leader right now behind Cameron, Miliband and Salmond.  Some people could put credible cases for Nigel Farage being a better leader.

As an aside, it's getting beyond pathetic now with politicians leaking speeches before they give them.  Surely the primary audience deserves first go at it.

#36 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,312 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Clegg's made a speech to the Lib/Dem conference advocating a coaltion with on or other of the two larger parties on the basis that they'd stop Labour from being profilgate and stop the Tories from erm being Tories.  Where excactly has he been during the last three years?  Even the UN think the Tories are beyond the pale!

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#37 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

I am right in thinking that the Libs didn't actually win any more seats in 2010 than 2005? They will most likely nosedive in 2015, what is there to be chippy about Mr Clegg?

They seem to be a beneficiary of circumstances not of success.

Edited by Scubby, 18 September 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#38 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,064 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

I am right in thinking that the Libs didn't actually win any more seats in 2010 than 2005? They will most likely nosedive in 2015, what is there to be chippy about Mr Clegg?

They seem to be a beneficiary of circumstances not of success.

More accurately, a beneficiary of Gordon Brown being a sour-faced miserable sod and David Cameron being a Bullingdon Club rich boy, both just more electable than rotting cheese..

#39 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

There is a suggestion that Clegg could lose his seat at the next General Election. What does he do?.

He could always look for safe Lib-Dem seat and throw the current Lib-dem MP out of his seat, or does he man up and try to save his present seat?

I know where my money would be.

#40 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

I think he's 8/1 to lose his seat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users