Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A win is a win...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

...26-24....with last minute try and conversion.  Fortunately, their kicker had a bad day as we were outscored 5 to 4 tries. Crooks' penalty from inside his own half the difference.

It must have been painful to watch us surrender a 12 nil lead, but credit to Hornets for playing 80minutes.

Still feel our defence will have to be improved if we are to get promotion.  Can we please play anyone but London!

#2 D1041

D1041
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Yes, Oldham

#3 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:24 PM

We got out of jail today. Our sliding defence was caught out three times for easy tries. It a good job that their kicker had an off day and Crooky had a good one. All the best to London in their next game. They looked gutted as they left the field.

We will have to up our game for next week.

A win is a win though so well done lads.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

#4 OutOfTownRoughyed

OutOfTownRoughyed
  • Coach
  • 318 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Tight game end to end, game could of turned on the incident on report was it Langley? Dont agree with the report system why cant the officials just make a decision

#5 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Good game to watch as a neutral. Hornets started really well but should have posted more points while they were dominating the game. Skolars improved in the second half and I thought they would go on to win but a spilt ball in the tackle close to the end of the game gave Hornets the points in the end. Unusually for Dylan Skee to be so off target otherwise it would have been a Skolars win.

#6 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

I watched the game as a neutral too but feel it was more of a slow start from London rather than a good start by Hornets. Hornets never gave the game up and I always had a feeling, even in the last minute, that they would pull it off. Well played Skolars, you were unlucky. I have to be honest, and say I don't believe Rochdale will beat Oldham twice in the play offs, or Skolars for that matter, therefore, if I was a Hornets fan, I would not be too upset to lose at Whitebank next Sunday. I will be there again as a neutral of course.

#7 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 894 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

7 to 0 penalty count first half was a joke as was the putting on report of the high shot on oscar thomas that was a sending off imo especially as a try was begging.

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#8 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

W

7 to 0 penalty count first half was a joke as was the putting on report of the high shot on oscar thomas that was a sending off imo especially as a try was begging.

Who are you kidding your number 10 was trying to take everyones head off all the game.

#9 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

Two wrongs don't make a right. I was a complete neutral at the game. Hewer should have sent the Hornets man off for that challenge, and I am a believer that the game is going soft. I don't start shouting off at every challenge.

#10 Big Doug

Big Doug
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hewer should also have stopped the slowing down of the play the ball that London continually did throughout the game.

#11 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I have to wonder how much effect the calls of "you're an idiot ref" etc, has on the decisions he makes. Equally I often wonder why the people shouting it, are not out there doing the job they obviously feel they would be so much better at.

The game at all levels is desperate for good referees and I'm sure the R.F.L. would love to hear from you.
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#12 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hewer should also have stopped the slowing down of the play the ball that London continually did throughout the game.

I agree that he should have clamped down on the slowing down of the 'play the ball', I think the Skolars were penalised on five occasions for 'lying on' . Why did he not  use his discretion and give the whole Skolars team a final warning earlier in the proceedings.

Although we have Crooky to thank for his flawless goal kicking, some of our tackling was tremendous which forced the Skolars back on many occasions.

Gaz Langley was an able replacement at full back for Wayne English but one of best assets was our discipline against a very crude Skolars number 10.

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#13 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

This was a great win for us,the best of the season i think.17 out of 17 with the boot from Crooky fantastic!

We must have every chance at Whitebank.Well played boys!!

#14 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

We must maintain our discipline and tighten our defence - we certainly do not wish to play catch up again.

The attendance against London was a disgrace, but emphasises the need to get out of this division. Hopefully, we shall be in full voice and better numbers on Sunday and celebrating a GF place.

#15 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

If I was a Hornets fan I would be slightly hoping to lose at Whitebank, win through against Skolars again and take on Oldham at a neutral final venue where anything can happen. Can't see Hornets beating Oldham twice "on the trot", but can't see Oldham beating Rochdale 3 times "on the trot" either!

#16 PooingDog

PooingDog
  • Coach
  • 983 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

If I was a Hornets fan I would be slightly hoping to lose at Whitebank, win through against Skolars again and take on Oldham at a neutral final venue where anything can happen. Can't see Hornets beating Oldham twice "on the trot", but can't see Oldham beating Rochdale 3 times "on the trot" either!

Keep taking the Lithium CR, as if any Hornets fan would ever hope to lose against the Biffs (slightly or not).

Edited by PooingDog, 09 September 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Memento mori

Who cares -Wins!!!

Carpe Cerevisi

AKA. Winston Smith

Give 'em a fair trial..........and then hang 'em"

#17 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right. I was a complete neutral at the game. Hewer should have sent the Hornets man off for that challenge, and I am a believer that the game is going soft. I don't start shouting off at every challenge.

You may not start 'shouting off' at every challenge but a shed-load of your fans do! They wanted Gaz Middlehurst banned for life when he was sent off for us at your gaff but changed their minds when he signed for you!!!

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#18 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

I didn't put that very well PooingDog, but you know what I am trying to say, and I'm sure a lot of your supporters would secretly agree with me. Incidentally, I am a neutral, but if it comes to a Rochdale .v. Oldham final I hope you win it simply because your timekeeper - Ray is a really genuine, decent, honest guy who deserves to see his team have some success. I know people at Oldham too - stand off Lewis Palfrey learned his early rugby league with my amateur club, but I have rarely met a man who knows his club so well as Ray knows Rochdale Hornets. I was also good friends with Frank Fielding RIP, another top Rochdalian.

#19 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I didn't put that very well PooingDog, but you know what I am trying to say, and I'm sure a lot of your supporters would secretly agree with me. Incidentally, I am a neutral, but if it comes to a Rochdale .v. Oldham final I hope you win it simply because your timekeeper - Ray is a really genuine, decent, honest guy who deserves to see his team have some success. I know people at Oldham too - stand off Lewis Palfrey learned his early rugby league with my amateur club, but I have rarely met a man who knows his club so well as Ray knows Rochdale Hornets. I was also good friends with Frank Fielding RIP, another top Rochdalian.

I am certain that most Hornets fans would hope we win on Sun. and to the GF, leaving our neighbours to have some more match time in the next round!  This may be their preference too, given their blank weekends and they have bettered London this season.  However, "knockout" matches are a different matter.

#20 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

I wasn't at the game but have seen the DVD and if the 'sending off' incident was the high shot after 16 minutes of the second half I think the referee and TJ got it sot on.  First and most important, full marks to the London player for getting straight up with no histrionics and showing no injury was sustained.  The arm was reaching out and no swinging arm was involved so a penalty and an 'on report' was correct for me.

Pugwash.

Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users