Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England's backs

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

Seen as though we are very strong in the forwards and the pack picks itself with 2 or maybe more of the burgess clan, graham, Crabtree, hock, Westwood, mossop etc, what are people's thoughts on the starting 7 and remaing squad players? I would go with a starting 7 of:
1. Tomkins
2. Hall
3. Watkins
4. Cudjoe
5. Charnley
6. Widdop
7. Chase
And have Tom briscoe, Ben jones bishop, jack reed, rob burrow and Danny McGuire in the squad.

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

No Sinfield, I like your optimism.

It's time to park the camels.

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Exactly the same three quarters except swap Charnley and Hall so they play on the wings they are used too.

Widdop has to start at 6 he's classes above any half back with have in the squad and will definitely be fit, he played 50 minutes for east tigers a day or two ago.

7 I'm really not sure. The person perfect for the role isn't in the squad and all the rest have flaws. I'd probably go for Myler with Sinfield at 9. Widdop kicking game will have to do with Sinfield kicking from 9. Sinfield is to slow with his running and distribution to play half back.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 08 September 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:07 PM

No Sinfield, I like your optimism.

With o'loughlin in doubt you'd expect him to play 13, either way he's never a halfback never mind an international one.

#5 bar red

bar red
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:30 PM

Nobody even seems to consider Luke Robinson in the halves, had a great season and has never let England/GB down.

#6 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

With o'loughlin in doubt you'd expect him to play 13, either way he's never a halfback never mind an international one.

O Loughlin will play, it's been stated he will be fit in time.

#7 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

No you wouldn't. I expected Sam Burgess to be playing back of the scrum. Sinfield is too lightweight to be loose forward.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

O Loughlin will play, it's been stated he will be fit in time.

Good news.

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

No you wouldn't. I expected Sam Burgess to be playing back of the scrum. Sinfield is too lightweight to be loose forward.

Hasn't McNamara boxed himself in on sinfield by naming him captain? I wouldn't play him either way at 6,9 or 13.

#10 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Nobody even seems to consider Luke Robinson in the halves, had a great season and has never let England/GB down.

I'd have him and Lunt(if roby isnt fit) in my squad, I only picked chase because McNamara seems to have his selection and sinfields set in stone.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

A utility like Ratchford could be very valuable for a World Cup squad.

#12 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:09 PM

Wouldnt have Charnley anywhere near the starting 13, too easily sucked in by opposition centres and too frequently. Despite Tom Briscoe having a particularly lazy season i'd still opt for him over Charnley. I'd also have Widdop and Sinfield as the halves.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#13 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Hasn't McNamara boxed himself in on sinfield by naming him captain? I wouldn't play him either way at 6,9 or 13.

Agree. This debate has been done to death but the team will have to carry him as captain despite what position he plays. Not international class.

#14 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,889 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

Agree. This debate has been done to death but the team will have to carry him as captain despite what position he plays. Not international class.

The fact that he can play 3 positions, can nail goalkicks, and his tactical kicking is quite good plus his leadership qualities are enough to justify Sinfield's inclusion. His best games in an England shirt have been from the no 9 shirt.

Is Charnley the real deal.? I have only ever seen him play on TV but he appears to get quite a few easy scores from playing in the Wigan team when they were dominating.

I like McGilvray at Huddersfield and particularly when paired up with Cudjoe as a right side tandem. There is a history of centres and wingers working as a duo with an understanding of each others play being particularly effective. Ashton and Boston were both brilliant players in their own right but when playing together had an almost telepathic understanding and were doubly dangerous. Loughlin and Quirk at Saints were also very good together.

Overall, I am impressed with the quantity and quality of players available to England. in the past decade we have struggled to fill out a first choice 13 with players on occasions and this is definitely not the case at present. It a crying shame Brough is not available to really push us to being a competitive team that could really threaten the Aussies and Kiwis. In any event this tournament should be great.

#15 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Seen as though we are very strong in the forwards and the pack picks itself with 2 or maybe more of the burgess clan, graham, Crabtree, hock, Westwood, mossop etc, what are people's thoughts on the starting 7 and remaing squad players? I would go with a starting 7 of:

If we name Crabtree and/or westwood in our forward pack we're screwed. Good club level players (like Sinfield) but not international standard.

Our forward pack should be Sam, Tom & George Burgess, Graham, Hill, Walmsley, Mossop, Ellis, Hock, O'Loughlin - with Roby as hooker. No room for likes of Mozza who Has been a great servant but is clearly past it.

Those forwards named would hold their own/shine in the NRL whereas Crabtree and Westwood would be anonymous I feel

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,162 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

not sure what Westwood has to do to prove he is international class. A test regular for 5 years and always a very good performer for England. Easy selecyion for him.

#17 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

I've often thought this too, liked him ever since his Wigan days

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#18 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

not sure what Westwood has to do to prove he is international class. A test regular for 5 years and always a very good performer for England. Easy selecyion for him.

Have to agree.

He has always been great when playing for England - a consistent top performer.  First choice 2nd row for me

#19 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,585 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

A utility like Ratchford could be very valuable for a World Cup squad.

Richard Whiting is Mr Utility ;)
Posted Image

#20 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

If you have watched Leeds recently then Sinfield has moved to hooker for large parts of the game. I predict that the line-up will be

Sinfield

Widdop/Chase

Chase/Widdop on the bench. Chase (or Widdop) to come on for Roby, Sinfield to hooker. IMO Sinfield has been pretty effective from dummy half for England so it should work fine. It will also allow us to have more of a half-back running threat for parts of the game.

Edited by Scubby, 09 September 2013 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users