England's backs

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#21 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

I can only assume Oracle hasn't ever seen Crabtree play for England, and certainly not against Aus where he has looked as good a forward as any on the field

Of course, he plays for the Giants so he must only be "workmanlike"

#22 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Exactly the same three quarters except swap Charnley and Hall so they play on the wings they are used too.

Widdop has to start at 6 he's classes above any half back with have in the squad and will definitely be fit, he played 50 minutes for east tigers a day or two ago.

7 I'm really not sure. The person perfect for the role isn't in the squad and all the rest have flaws. I'd probably go for Myler with Sinfield at 9. Widdop kicking game will have to do with Sinfield kicking from 9. Sinfield is to slow with his running and distribution to play half back.

sinfield at 9 instead of roby, lunt, and houghton???? i can hear the australians laughing already...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Seen as though we are very strong in the forwards and the pack picks itself with 2 or maybe more of the burgess clan, graham, Crabtree, hock, Westwood, mossop etc, what are people's thoughts on the starting 7 and remaing squad players? I would go with a starting 7 of:
1. Tomkins
2. Hall
3. Watkins
4. Cudjoe
5. Charnley
6. Widdop
7. Chase
And have Tom briscoe, Ben jones bishop, jack reed, rob burrow and Danny McGuire in the squad.

ever heard of stefan ratchford or joe mellor?????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

He probably has but Mellor is not international class ........yet.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#25 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

sinfield at 9 instead of roby, lunt, and houghton???? i can hear the australians laughing already...

I think we have to accept, like it or not, that Sinfield will be in the team playing for 80 minutes. If that is the case I would certainly want him to spend some of the time at hooker to free up more running options for the half backs. Chase on the bench coming on for spells would work with Sinfield and Widdop the starting half backs.

I wouldn't be sad to see Lunt in there at 9 ahead of Roby. Roby will need to show some real form in the play-offs as he has hardly played this year.

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

Add his kicking game,both from hand and place kicking,seems a decent call.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#27 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Add his kicking game,both from hand and place kicking,seems a decent call.

It is a strange one as Sinfield offers so much in terms of controlling a game but the running threat from half back really needs to be there. I think dipping in and out of hooker for spells really solves the problem. I don't watch Leeds all the time but they seem to be doing that quite a bit lately.

#28 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yep, I've heard of them but limited squad places and all that. With jack reed now a doubt for the world cup stefan ratchford is pushed up the pecking order.

#29 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

He's playing whether you like it or not. If he's at 9 his flaws get less exposed at Hooker.

If I was choosing my team I'd have Widdop at 6, Brough at 7 with Lunt starting at 9 interchanging with Danny Houghton.

But we have to be realistic here.

#30 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

The fact that he can play 3 positions, can nail goalkicks, and his tactical kicking is quite good plus his leadership qualities are enough to justify Sinfield's inclusion. His best games in an England shirt have been from the no 9 shirt.

Is Charnley the real deal.? I have only ever seen him play on TV but he appears to get quite a few easy scores from playing in the Wigan team when they were dominating.

I like McGilvray at Huddersfield and particularly when paired up with Cudjoe as a right side tandem. There is a history of centres and wingers working as a duo with an understanding of each others play being particularly effective. Ashton and Boston were both brilliant players in their own right but when playing together had an almost telepathic understanding and were doubly dangerous. Loughlin and Quirk at Saints were also very good together.

Overall, I am impressed with the quantity and quality of players available to England. in the past decade we have struggled to fill out a first choice 13 with players on occasions and this is definitely not the case at present. It a crying shame Brough is not available to really push us to being a competitive team that could really threaten the Aussies and Kiwis. In any event this tournament should be great.

I would go as far as to state that your comparison made concerning the unarguable and uncanny understanding that Ashton and Boston definitely did have, could even in the wildest of dreams be attributed to the, er supposed one that you imagine Cudjoe and McGilvray possess! 

That almost certainly ranks very highly with the worst comparisons ever envisaged.

Should you want to witness a mismatch of abilities ( attack and defence, the latter especially) then I would contend that it would be prudent, to match whatever Centre/wing combination the Aussies pick against them.  

#31 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

The forwards we choose will V OZ and NZ have to give the performances of their lives, why? Because they are, in all probability, going to have to carry the backs with only one or two exceptions.

Therefore the inclusion of the down under players is a must simply for the reason that they are compatible with what is required to compete at NRL levels and standards of play.

In that case I would be looking at the form players other than those playing in the NRL that will constitute those from S/L that supplement them, plus those that have proven that they have the stamina and ability to sustain themselves at this the highest level of R/L.

Westwood has yet to have a poor or mediocre game V Oz, he always figures well and never takes a backward step. Similarly so does Crabtree and he would be an inclusion for me barring injury also.
If O'Loughlin is fit then he too would be automatic at L/F and all the talk on hookers going on seems to have omitted the top form hooker certainly if not the forward in the S/L this season, Mickey Higham.

When he did play V Oz he worried them to death and I can recall someone from the Aussie camp remarking that he was brilliant against them when he did play, I am amazed that no one has even mentioned Higham in the context of hookers on display in S/L this last season as he has had a very good one indeed.
Morley should not be in contention nbor should Ellis whose form has been at best mediocre over the entire season when he has played save for the odd game,

Graham
Higham
Burgess G
Westwood
Burgess S
O'Loughlin

Crabtree
Burgess T
Roby/Lunt/Houghton
Farrell

#32 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Farrell is too small.

#33 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

In a squad you are going to have maybe 25 players, so some flexibility will be needed.

I'd go
Fullbacks: Tomkins, Hardaker

Wings: Charnley, Hall

Centres: Cudjoe, Watkins, Reed

Halves: Sinfield, Widdop, Chase

Hookers: Lunt, Roby

Then that leaves 13 forward spots

FR: Graham, Crabtree, Mossop, G Burgess, C Hill, T Burgess, L Burgess

SR/LF: Kirkmond, O'Loughlin, Ferres, Farrell, S Burgess, J Westerman
Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

What, no JJB or Ablett?

#35 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

Would anybody else consider having Shenton in the squad? I haven't seen much of Castleford this year but he appears to have been in good form for them. He's solid defensively and has a tendency to perform in big games. I'm not saying that I'd definitely have him in the squad as their are more dangerous players available but he's still very much in my mind when thinking of potential line ups.   

#36 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

Would anyone have Tomkins at Stand off?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#37 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

In a squad you are going to have maybe 25 players, so some flexibility will be needed.
I'd go
Fullbacks: Tomkins, Hardaker
Wings: Charnley, Hall
Centres: Cudjoe, Watkins, Reed
Halves: Sinfield, Widdop, Chase
Hookers: Lunt, Roby
Then that leaves 13 forward spots
FR: Graham, Crabtree, Mossop, G Burgess, C Hill, T Burgess, L Burgess
SR/LF: Kirkmond, O'Loughlin, Ferres, Farrell, S Burgess, J Westerman

I like the bulk of that squad. Although I think 7 props is one too many. I would have Stefan Ratchford as a utility back in that place instead with Chris Hill dropping out. I think if we want to win, Hock is worth the risk, likely in place of the small Farrell who's form has faded over the season. And I assume you have picked Westerman as a spelling error instead of Westwood....

#38 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

I can only assume Oracle hasn't ever seen Crabtree play for England, and certainly not against Aus where he has looked as good a forward as any on the field

Of course, he plays for the Giants so he must only be "workmanlike"

You assume wrong I have seen him play regularly, and now having moved to Australia and watching NRL weekly, I still don't believe he is good enough, nor westwood.

Prop wise, ahead of him are the Bugess boys (sam, George and tom), Graham, Hill and Walmsley for me - that's 6 props to pick from

Ahead of Westwood for the 2nd row spot for me are the likes of Hock, Ellis and O'Loughlin - hence he wouldn't get a look in either

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#39 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,839 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

I can't believe we haven't had a mention of Dream Team stars like Crooks, Lineham and Matty Smith.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,374 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:15 AM

I can't believe we haven't had a mention of Dream Team stars like Crooks, Lineham and Matty Smith.

DNFTT

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users