Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England's backs

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

FWIW, as a Leeds fan, Ablett would be one of the 1st players I put on the team sheet every week. I get people don't rate him, and that's good for Leeds, because every day he turns up and puts in 100% and creates a hell of a lot for the rest of the team. IMO he is the most underated player in the league!

Would he be in my 17 for England? No, but he's not far off.

The reason he gets the stick is because of his lack of pace when he played centre and the fact he got picked as a centre for England. There aren't too many better players than him in a Rhinos jersey though.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#62 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

id have ablett in the squad fwiw....hes useful

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#63 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

id have ablett in the squad fwiw....hes useful

I'd have him as water carrier. That's about all he's useful for.

#64 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

lol

hes big,a handful and can play 2nd row or center = useful squad player

Edited by roughyedspud, 10 September 2013 - 01:45 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Like McIlorum, Ablett is too easily wound up and seemingly, like M Monaghan, can't take a tackle without throwing his arms about or even trying to poke people in the eyes. I'll almost bet my abode he'll have handbags with Bridge at a play the ball on Saturday.

It's lovely Leeds fans like him, but they'll be a dozen or so players around the league that people think should be in the England squad from their team such as; Kirmond, Harrison, Ferres, Walmsley, M Smith, Houghton, etc.

It's sometimes a case that average players look better in a good team.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

heard alex walmsley is gonna turn out for scotland

OLDHAM RLFC

#67 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

The average player argument doesn't hold up with Ablett though. Average players don't do the work he does at the efficiently he has. He is twice the player JJB is. It's hard to explain to fans who don't watch him every week though. Like I said, after JP, Sinfield and McGuire, Ablett would be the next on the sheet for me. His defence is brilliant. He has a great offload and rarely gets knocked back in the tackle. He is a ball handler too creates space for the people outside him. I just don't get where this "average" comes from.

#68 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

Statistically he's average. Would you class Liam Farrell as average who's stats are better then Abletts?

#69 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

The average player argument doesn't hold up with Ablett though. Average players don't do the work he does at the efficiently he has. He is twice the player JJB is. It's hard to explain to fans who don't watch him every week though. Like I said, after JP, Sinfield and McGuire, Ablett would be the next on the sheet for me. His defence is brilliant. He has a great offload and rarely gets knocked back in the tackle. He is a ball handler too creates space for the people outside him. I just don't get where this "average" comes from.

The things is, you're only comparing with Leeds - which you made clear - when compared with other England players I think he'd struggle - again you mentioned he wouldn't be in your England team - but also you mention McGuire and I don't think he'd be in the England side either. He may be one of your favourites (I don't think I'm out of line saying that from reading your recent posts) but there are other players in the league that are better. Without drawing too much comparison, Langley is a workhorse, so is Whiting, each have their own fan club but none are up to England standard. In fact I'd probably put Whiting as the "not far off" you describe Ablett with.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#70 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Statistically he's average. Would you class Liam Farrell as average who's stats are better then Abletts?

Liam Farrell is average and would hardly raise a ripple if he was playing for a club in the bottom 4-5. Ablett and Farrell are squad men who could do a job in an injury crisis and nothing more.

#71 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

My argument isn't for England selection though, it's against the "average" tag, which he clearly isn't. Of course there are better out there. There are also different styles of players. Delaney is statically much better than Ablett too but I don't think he adds more to the Leeds team. In fact, IMHO Delaney is too one dimensional and offers little in attack for a wide running second row. I see his future up front. If Ablett was in anyone's team though that teams fans would have a totally different opinion of him.

As for the "favourite" thing, he actually isn't. That tag lays with McGuire and now Watkins :) I appreciate Ablett for what he does every week in the Leeds shirt though.

#72 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

They are dismissed as joke selections as they should be no where near the squad, yet they always seem to appear.

People I'd rather have playing at second row than them two are: Danny Kirmond, Sean O Loughlin, Ben Westwood, Gareth Ellis, Brett Ferres, Joe Westerman, Ben Currie, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Liam Farrell, Sam Burgess, Gareth Hock, Liam Watts, Ben Harrison.

It's not just Ablett and JJB, I consider Wilkin to be as much as a joke selection. They are solid club players yes but just do not have international quality about them. Then again, I must be the one with club bias blinding me in this debate.

Westerman and Liam Watts,are you serious?

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#73 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

liam farrell is'nt big enough

OLDHAM RLFC

#74 7723

• Coach
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

liam farrell is'nt big enough

Isn't big enough for what? If you're good enough, you're big enough. He is statistically one of the better players in SL. I personally would have him in an England squad but only as back up.

#75 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 836 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Reading through this lot I'm just thankful that the team isn't picked by a selection committee...

#76 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

Isn't big enough for what? If you're good enough, you're big enough. He is statistically one of the better players in SL. I personally would have him in an England squad but only as back up.

don't get me wrong..i like liam...a good solid pro.....but not international class imo

and i would'nt pick him in the squad either...we need squad players to be multi skilled...ie ablett being comfortable at center & 2nd row......thats why id pick ablett over farrell

OLDHAM RLFC

#77 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Westerman and Liam Watts,are you serious?

Yep, they have actual international quality about them. Ablett has none whatsoever.

#78 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Yep, they have actual international quality about them. Ablett has none whatsoever.

Comedy post of the year.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#79 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

joe westerman is the new sean o'loughlin.......

OLDHAM RLFC

#80 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Comedy post of the year.

From a Leeds fans perspective probably so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users