Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England's backs

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#81 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

From a Leeds fans perspective probably so.

Nah,Westerman is invisible most games and to suggest Watts is international quality is laughable.

Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#82 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Nah,Westerman is invisible most games and to suggest Watts is international quality is laughable.

I rate Westerman personally. Also Watts has been poor recently I will admit that, but at times for Hull and certainly Hull KR he proved he could be one of the best forwards in the league. Ablett is much more consistent yes, in fact I'd rather have him in my side for a 27 game season than Watts. But at international level Ablett just doesn't have the class in him, he is solid yes but Watts has quality (albeit he doesn't show it very often) that can have an impact at international level.

It's the reason why I don't like Wilkin, JJB and Ablett being in the England side. They are solid club players in a good side. They perform consistently well and do the job they need to do. But they do not win games for their club sides. At international level you need players who have it in them to put in performances which will win your side the game. The three stated earlier just don't.

#83 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

So you wouldn't have a consistent player in the team but you'd select two players who by your own admission don't perform to a consistent level.I agree about JJb and Wilkin though.You obviously didn't see Ablett in the Wigan game in which he was outstanding.he went a long way to winning that game for Leeds.

#84 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

So you wouldn't have a consistent player in the team but you'd select two players who by your own admission don't perform to a consistent level.I agree about JJb and Wilkin though.You obviously didn't see Ablett in the Wigan game in which he was outstanding.he went a long way to winning that game for Leeds.

He's also scored a couple if absolute vital trys in GFs

#85 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yes I would, I'd select ahead Hock ahead of Ablett and he isn't as consistent either.

I did see it and if I'm honest I didn't notice him. Peacock and Singleton were exceptional in that game out of the Leeds players on show.

#86 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yes I would, I'd select ahead Hock ahead of Ablett and he isn't as consistent either.

I did see it and if I'm honest I didn't notice him. Peacock and Singleton were exceptional in that game out of the Leeds players on show.

As was Ablett.

#87 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

I would go as far as to state that your comparison made concerning the unarguable and uncanny understanding that Ashton and Boston definitely did have, could even in the wildest of dreams be attributed to the, er supposed one that you imagine Cudjoe and McGilvray possess! 

That almost certainly ranks very highly with the worst comparisons ever envisaged.

Should you want to witness a mismatch of abilities ( attack and defence, the latter especially) then I would contend that it would be prudent, to match whatever Centre/wing combination the Aussies pick against them.  

You are,of course, entitled to your opinion and I was not suggesting that Cudjoe and McGilvray were the equal of Boston and Ashton. What I was suggesting though was that the work as a team and are better as a team than the sum total of their individual attributes. I watched then in the game against Wakefield last week and was impressed with their work together. I also am entitled to my opinion. They do play for the leading team in the British game after all. As to the Aussies, I think they are struggling somewhat in the centres with Inglis in particular carrying a significant injury. Lets hope so.

Time will tell and the team selection will confirm what McNamara thinks but that duo are certainly in the reckoning for England selection.

#88 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

With Reed ruled out, Cudjoe and Watkins are certainties for the starting centre spots. Perhaps Crooks deserves a call-up as the third centre, with Hardacre also in the squad and able to cover centre.

As for backs, how has Leon Pryce been playing for Catalans, and is he worth a look?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#89 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

Statistically he's average. Would you class Liam Farrell as average who's stats are better then Abletts?

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Gardener scored loads of tries for Saints. many of them were two yard walk ins so the statistics didn't give a true picture.

#90 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:53 PM

A few years bck jjb was immense, smashing people and hard to tackle, was a dead certanty for england/gb. and at the time even in contention to b 1 of best players in sl. Now imo he isnt good enough for test rugby due to the players infront of him. As for ablett he is a steady player for leeds and trys hard an puts in alot of work. Imo tho he shud never be in or even close to the england squad. At the moment we have fot far too much quality infront of these players and if we want to push on internationally then we need to get rid of the dead wood and let the younger better quality players go out and express them selfs.

#91 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:24 AM

With Reed ruled out, Cudjoe and Watkins are certainties for the starting centre spots. Perhaps Crooks deserves a call-up as the third centre, with Hardacre also in the squad and able to cover centre.

As for backs, how has Leon Pryce been playing for Catalans, and is he worth a look?

Still doing an excellent impression of the invisible man.

#92 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:47 AM

has he even been playing?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#93 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

You obviously didn't see Ablett in the Wigan game in which he was outstanding.he went a long way to winning that game for Leeds.

I'd have given him MOM for that performance

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#94 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

You are,of course, entitled to your opinion and I was not suggesting that Cudjoe and McGilvray were the equal of Boston and Ashton. What I was suggesting though was that the work as a team and are better as a team than the sum total of their individual attributes. I watched then in the game against Wakefield last week and was impressed with their work together. I also am entitled to my opinion. They do play for the leading team in the British game after all. As to the Aussies, I think they are struggling somewhat in the centres with Inglis in particular carrying a significant injury. Lets hope so.

Time will tell and the team selection will confirm what McNamara thinks but that duo are certainly in the reckoning for England selection.

Of course you are and I am relieved to note that you have corrected my impression concerning the comparison I believed you were making over Ashton/Boston and, Cudjoe/McGilvray being anywhere close to matching them as a partnership.

May I take this opportunity to spell out the slight difference that could occur when the opponents that Messrs C and M will encounter when ( god forbid ) they ever do take the field together in an England shirt against Aus/NZ, as opposed to say, Wakefield! I also say that with absolutely no disrespect intended towards the latter.

Should Inglis be unavailable the Aussies would still have Morris, Hodges, Hayne, Jennings, Tate, etc, to name but a few, who could and would more than adequetly fill in for Inglis. Agreed his omission would be detrimental to them but they would by no means have to scrape the barrel to find a very capable replacement for him.

The kiwis also are very well placed with centre's of a capability that Cudjoe cannot match either, unfortunately!

I do not even make a reference to McGilvray as I believe that he has about as much chance as myself of making the squad, at least I hope so :sclerosis: .  

#95 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

Should Inglis be unavailable the Aussies would still have Morris, Hodges, Hayne, Jennings, Tate, etc, to name but a few, who could and would more than adequetly fill in for Inglis.

Ok, well, they can't play them all and if Inglis doesn't play, then whoever fills in for him will be a weaker player. Hayne in the centres? Yes please.

#96 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Should Inglis be unavailable the Aussies would still have Morris, Hodges, Hayne, Jennings, Tate, etc, to name but a few, who could and would more than adequetly fill in for Inglis. Agreed his omission would be detrimental to them but they would by no means have to scrape the barrel to find a very capable replacement for him.

morris is ordinary
hodges is injured
hayne is'nt a center and has never done anything in a kangaroo jersey..

that leaves the likely pairing of brent tate and michael jennings....our center pairing won't have a problem with eitherof them,neither of them are "special".....infact for the first time in a lifetime our likely wingers & centers are going to be bigger than the aussies likely selection!! they should be worrying about containing us..not us worrying about them!

OLDHAM RLFC

#97 7723

• Coach
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

Brent Tate and Michael Jennings are fantastic players. Better then anyone we have over here.

#98 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

but they are'nt hodges & inglis....they are nothing to be scared of!

OLDHAM RLFC

#99 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Of course they are
They are in the NRL and so are like gods amongst men

#100 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Ok, well, they can't play them all and if Inglis doesn't play, then whoever fills in for him will be a weaker player. Hayne in the centres? Yes please.

Inglis was pretty ordinary in the centres in Origin I. Admittedly, I don't really know how he did in subsequent ones.

I'd be more concerned with Slater getting injured and GI going to fullback!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users