159 replies to this topic

#101 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Of course they are
They are in the NRL and so are like gods amongst men

damn i forget every aussie is a superman!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#102 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

Having watched a lot of NRL this season the only players I believe are better than the Eng alternatives are;

Inglis

Cronk

Thurston

The previous top dogs of Slater and Smith have been good, but no better than the likes of Tomkins, Higham, Roby and Lunt.

If Inglis is out, and I suspect he will be, this only leave a half back pairing better than our - no surprises there though.

The other Aus centres have been ordinary, and none would walk into the Eng team.  Only Jennings has shown attacking class but no different to Watkins.  The wingers Aus have are pretty standard as well.

We all know our forwards will match up, or even better theirs.

It will all come down to who plays better as a team and exerts control.  Whilst McNamara has his knockers regarding Sinfield, I believe his selection is down to the on field management and control he brings.  Additionally, as Eng will be the best prepared team in the tournament I think we will play better as a team than any others.

The main factor for our backs is Inglis - only him and SBW have an X-Factor that is hard to contain.  If he is in the squad I definitely won't be as confident

#103 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

It's ok, when they come to English clubs though they suddenly become quite average for the most part

#104 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Having watched a lot of NRL this season the only players I believe are better than the Eng alternatives are;

Inglis
Cronk
Thurston

The previous top dogs of Slater and Smith have been good, but no better than the likes of Tomkins, Higham, Roby and Lunt.

If Inglis is out, and I suspect he will be, this only leave a half back pairing better than our - no surprises there though.

The other Aus centres have been ordinary, and none would walk into the Eng team.  Only Jennings has shown attacking class but no different to Watkins.  The wingers Aus have are pretty standard as well.

It will all come down to who plays better as a team and exerts control.  Whilst McNamara has his knockers regarding Sinfield, I believe his selection is down to the on field management and control he brings.  Additionally, as Eng will be the best prepared team in the tournament I think we will play better as a team than any others.

The main factor for our backs is Inglis - only him and SBW have an X-Factor that is hard to contain.  If he is in the squad I definitely won't be as confident

agree a million percent

OLDHAM RLFC

#105 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

Inglis

Cronk

Thurston

Agree totally except the part about Smith. Tomkins isn't far off Slater thats true. But I don't think any of our Hookers are anywhere close to Smith. Smith is pretty much exceptional in every aspect of the game and can control a game much better than our hookers. Without Smith in the side I don't think Aus will be half as efficient.

Thurston has been abit patchy this season, although I suspect he has been carrying an injury. Our wingers are better than Aus', centres apart from Inglis we aren't light years apart.

Only the hardcore NRL addicts think the majority of the England side are miles behind, but people who watch both leagues with an open mind can see that we can beat Aus this year. It's just the half backs we are struggling with and they tend to make the biggest impact in the important matches.

#106 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Inglis

Cronk

Thurston

Smith is almost universally recognised as the world's best hooker and one of the greatest hookers of all time, so I think you're a bit wide of the mark on that point.

I also think the Australian second row is much stronger than ours (assuming that Sam Burgess plays prop or lock).

#107 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

Agree totally except the part about Smith. Tomkins isn't far off Slater thats true. But I don't think any of our Hookers are anywhere close to Smith. Smith is pretty much exceptional in every aspect of the game and can control a game much better than our hookers. Without Smith in the side I don't think Aus will be half as efficient.

Smith is almost universally recognised as the world's best hooker and one of the greatest hookers of all time, so I think you're a bit wide of the mark on that point.

But how is his form this year? (Honestly have no idea)

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#108 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

our pack will monster the aussie pack

OLDHAM RLFC

#109 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

The Storm have fallen to bits in the games he hasn't played. I can't think of another hooker who has been playing at his level this season.

#110 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

our pack will monster the aussie pack

Who will we pick in our second row, though? I see it as an area of weakness when comparing with NZ and Aus.

#111 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

smith does what he does....he performs at a very consistant level without being "spectacular" imo

ive always said though i'd still have roby instead of smith as my hooker cos roby has often statistically matched cam smith every time they've played opposite each other....but roby makes tons more meters on top.

OLDHAM RLFC

#112 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Who will we pick in our second row, though? I see it as an area of weakness when comparing with NZ and Aus.

i don't!.....and don't forget our bench...the aussies & kiwis would kill for our bench
id go...

8. james graham
9. james roby
10. chris hill
11. gaz hock
12. sam burgess
13. sean o'loughlin

14. george burgess
15. erol crabtree
16. ben westwood
17. rob burrow

OLDHAM RLFC

#113 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

i don't!.....and don't forget our bench...the aussies & kiwis would kill for our bench
id go...

8. james graham
9. james roby
10. chris hill
11. gaz hock
12. sam burgess
13. sean o'loughlin

14. george burgess
15. erol crabtree
16. ben westwood
17. rob burrow

Here's the list of second rowers from our current Elite Squad:

Westwood, Ablett, Wilkin, JJB, Ellis, Farrell, Tickle.

I think that compares unfavourably with

Aus - Bird, Myles, Lewis, Thaiday, Watmough, Parker, Papali, James

and

NZ - SBW, Pritchard, Proctor, Eastwood, Harris, Mannering

#114 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

the elite squad 2nd rowers & the world cup starting 2nd rowers are 2 different beasts

OLDHAM RLFC

#115 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

That elite squad second rowers was a joke when it was announced, nothing has changed in that respect

Fortunately at this end of the season we will see some good ones (including Westwood who deserves his spot)

Or maybe not since MacNamara is in charge :(

#116 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

That elite squad second rowers was a joke when it was announced, nothing has changed in that respect

Fortunately at this end of the season we will see some good ones (including Westwood who deserves his spot)

Or maybe not since MacNamara is in charge :(

I missed out Hock and I guess Kirmond and Ferres might come in, but I still think we're lacking in that area when compared with our main rivals.

#117 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

You missed out Sam Burgess too

If Ferres can convert his club form to internationals he's a match winner

Burgess, Ferres, Hock (though I'm not convinced) and Westwood are a match for the Kiwis and Aussies IMO

#118 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

The sheer number of players being considered and discussed just shows the depth of talent available to England compared to previous years. I think England can give both Aus and NZ a run for their money. I sincerely hope so and am getting more and more psyched up about this tournament.

I hope others think as I do and the England games in particular and the tournament as a whole attract top attendances and patriotic support. An England win or even a top class performance in the final could work wonders for the standing of the game in this country and lead to better TV deals and sponsors in the years ahead.

#119 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

can we stop put nz up there with australia please...they are an absolute shower of a side with a worse coach than we have ,who have'nt beat us in england for 8 years.....in fact i predict they'll struggle in their group let alone challange us or australia....

Edited by roughyedspud, 11 September 2013 - 11:13 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#120 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

can we stop put nz up there with australia please...they are an absolute shower of a side with a worse coach than we have ,who have'nt beat us in england for 8 years.....in fact i predict they'll struggle in their group let alone challange us or australia....

"An absolute shower of a side"?! You're definitely just trolling now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users