Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harry Jepson Trophy Final

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

According to twitter it will be South West London Chargers v Gateshead Storm

Thoughts & predictions?

#2 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Thoughts?  The Chargers "project" has clearly worked, given they did the London League and Cup double and have made the Harry Jepson Trophy final.  It seems the model for a successful senior side in London is the Hills Hoists/Chargers model.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#3 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Sorry bbfaz, not sure what you are saying here.  Are you saying that London clubs should join up like Wests/Souths did to form the Chargers, or move venues to a more London central area to attract players.  Not sure how Hammersmith HH and Chargers are a 'model' to follow as one is the joining of two clubs to survive, and the other is a stand alone club since its formation.

Not having a go, just wondering what you mean! :)  

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#4 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Also one of the finalists has a lot of junior players in various age groups and the other doesnt have any so i suspect one in more sustainable than the other.

#5 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:26 PM

Sorry bbfaz, not sure what you are saying here.  Are you saying that London clubs should join up like Wests/Souths did to form the Chargers, or move venues to a more London central area to attract players.  Not sure how Hammersmith HH and Chargers are a 'model' to follow as one is the joining of two clubs to survive, and the other is a stand alone club since its formation.

Not having a go, just wondering what you mean! :)  

I'm not saying anybody should do anything.  The Sharks were dead, the Storm were following them to the grave.  The season they've had to date - League and Cup double, Harry Jepson final - vindicates the decision to merge what was left of each club, vindicates moving training to Clapham and vindicates their recruitment policy.  It took them a few weeks to get warmed up too.

As for the clubs, they look like they're going about things in a similar way; inner suburbs, recruiting non-Londoners, no junior system.  Again, not criticising, just think it's a realistic approach to being competitive in London RL at a senior level.

#6 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

I think the game changer for Chargers was centralising their training at clapham common. Players live and work in totally different places in London and by having training that is 30 min from most of central London & then only 30 min from most of South & West London to get home has made the difference.

St Albans are in a different situation being out of London (along with Rhinos & Elmbridge) as you draw on your local player base.

I think the london model that bbfaz (correct me if I am wrong) was talking about was at the top level you need to find a central place to train that is easy for your player base to get too. Hammersmith is at Ealing & Chargers at Clapham Common - rather than picking a location and expecting players to travel to you?

#7 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Exiled Townie are you guys staying in NCL South next year?

#8 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Exiled Townie are you guys staying in NCL South next year?

I have PM'd you.  The club will be making an announcement  re next season in the next week or so.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#9 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Yes, Drifter, that is what I’m saying.   There are good, experienced players in this city, they just happen to be very spread out and almost entirely Aussie or Northern.  Either you go out to the suburbs, get prepared to lose for five years whilst you build your junior section and your general player base or alternatively you go central and use what’s there.  The problem is, if you go the latter route, you can’t really build a junior section.

#10 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

It was noticeable at the semi-final in Bristol between SWL and Devon Sharks how many Aussies and Northerners to London side had. In fact, I can't remember hearing a single London accent (though that's not to say there weren't Londoners playing - I'm sure there were).

It'll be interesting to see how Gateshead compare. The Chargers looked a decent side, though they struggled at times against Devon despite being on top (I.E they conceded quite a few tries, despite dominating possession, making more yards etc).
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#11 MalteseExile

MalteseExile
  • Players
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Gateshead had 14 of their 17 from the north east area , the others are made up from 1 auzzie who has lived in the north east for many years and 2 lads who have stayed in the north east since finishing their studies in the North East.

#12 dogthebountyhunter

dogthebountyhunter
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

It was noticeable at the semi-final in Bristol between SWL and Devon Sharks how many Aussies and Northerners to London side had. In fact, I can't remember hearing a single London accent (though that's not to say there weren't Londoners playing - I'm sure there were).

It'll be interesting to see how Gateshead compare. The Chargers looked a decent side, though they struggled at times against Devon despite being on top (I.E they conceded quite a few tries, despite dominating possession, making more yards etc).

Devon Sharks like all the Devon clubs are built on local players.... if some money (and not huge amounts) was put into the SW League then the game would grow very well. As it stands the clubs are run by passionate volunteers who may not have the knowledge or finance to move the game forward. 

Devon Sharks (All local lads, ran by northern exiles with local born players helping to run themselves....[ formed by two northerners, and two locals in 2006])

Exeter Centurions (All local lads, ran by northern exiles with one lad originally from Cambridge who had no involvement with any rugby until Centurions were formed.....[ Formed by one northern exile who also formed Basingstoke Beasts years ago])

North Devon Raiders (All young local lads with one northern exile who has since joined the club, they play and run themselves because they love rugby.... [formed by a league mad Plymothian in 2009ish])

Plymouth Titans (All local lads with a sprinkling of forces, ran by a young Plymothian committee....[formed by the same league mad Plymothian in 1985].) 

Imagine if in 1895 they had internet forums.............rugby league would not exist!

#13 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Devon Sharks like all the Devon clubs are built on local players.... if some money (and not huge amounts) was put into the SW League then the game would grow very well)

What would you spend it on?

#14 dogthebountyhunter

dogthebountyhunter
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:53 PM

We wouldn't want much really, maybe a Devon and Cornwall development officer and enough money to open the game up to others. 

Edited by dogthebountyhunter, 14 September 2013 - 09:54 PM.

Imagine if in 1895 they had internet forums.............rugby league would not exist!

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

We wouldn't want much really, maybe a Devon and Cornwall development officer and enough money to open the game up to others.

that would be a more productive use of RFL money than propping up the Broncos.

#16 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

What would they do?

#17 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,693 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

What would they do?

Get the game into the schools?

I've always thought development officers should be trained in delivering coaching courses. They'd be a vital asset to develop local coaching talent, especially school teachers so that in the future, there would be less reliance on development officers. It is a long term viewpoint of course, something the RFL don't seem to be that good at (my limited opinion of course).

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#18 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

South West London Chargers 28 - 22 Gateshead Storm.

Healthy vocal support at the Butts Park Arena, lots of big hits, some great tries and

Unfortunately, Harry himself couldn't make it this year, which is a shame, although I understand he also missed the Challenge Cup Final too due to the distances. He would have been pleased with the standard of the game.

#19 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

South West London Chargers 28 - 22 Gateshead Storm.

Healthy vocal support at the Butts Park Arena, lots of big hits, some great tries and

Unfortunately, Harry himself couldn't make it this year, which is a shame, although I understand he also missed the Challenge Cup Final too due to the distances. He would have been pleased with the standard of the game.

That's a shame. I caught up with him in July up in Barrow. Gary Hetherington drove him up to Barrow to watch the Raiders v Hunslet.
He was in good form then, hopefully he continues in good health.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#20 FAZ

FAZ
  • Coach
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

North Devon Raiders (All young local lads with one northern exile who has since joined the club, they play and run themselves because they love rugby.... [formed by a league mad Plymothian i

That northerner is my best mate and he says the lads are great and he's enjoying himself down there. He's a bit old a grey though now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users