Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jack Reed doubt for World Cup

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Inglis has not played at Centre, Wing and fullback this year has he?

Darius Boyd, Jarryd Hayne, Brent Tate ...... reel 'em in boys :)

#22 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think any defensive deficiencies Watkins may have are outweighed by the dynamism he brings in attack. I assume people advocating selecting Jack Reed over him are saying they value defense much more highly than attack? Because Reed is a bit of a plodder with ball in hand and is certainly a long way behind Watkins.

#23 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

No that is not correct,

If he was any good in a team (England) that is bereft of quality Centres he would have played more than one Test match as he approaches age 22.

Leeds think he is that good of a centre they have played him on the Wing this season.

What does that say? he is a utility, top players do not get moved from their best spot at Club level, the team and selections move around them.

Like Greg Inglis playing centre and full back for instance. Is he not a top player then by your stupid definition.

#24 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

Reed is our best available centre.  He'll be a major loss if he's not available.  Excellent defensively and offers a significant threat under the high ball on attack.  Watkins is a fantastic athlete but has defensive weaknesses.  He's better than Cudjoe but Watkins is the one who the Aussies will target if he's selected unless of course Cudjoe is also chosen in which case they'll be spoilt for choice.

#25 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

Reed is our best available centre.  He'll be a major loss if he's not available.  Excellent defensively and offers a significant threat under the high ball on attack.  Watkins is a fantastic athlete but has defensive weaknesses.  He's better than Cudjoe but Watkins is the one who the Aussies will target if he's selected unless of course Cudjoe is also chosen in which case they'll be spoilt for choice.

have to agree, reed is number 1 choice at centre when it comes down to business, the aussies will make Watkins and cudjoe look like clown school, their confidence will be shot with missed tackles and missed high balls under pressure and the lack of attacking space.
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

on form reed should'nt be pick in the squad...let alone the starting 17....he's have a very quiet and injury prone season.

we are'nt short of very good centers...watkins & cudjoe are going to be our starting centers...ben crooks won't be far away from selection..then theres utility players like widdop & ratchford who could fill in incase of injury...

in contrast the aussies are really struggling for centers at the moment...justin hodges is out injured,greg inglis has been playing on 1 leg for the past month and i would'nt be surprised if he gets pulled from the world cup to have a operation...then what have they got? tate,jennings,morris???....we can deal with them no problem..

Edited by roughyedspud, 10 September 2013 - 06:12 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#27 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

The Aussie troll has got some great bites here, reminds me of League Freak in his pomp.

Watkins is a good player. The other options leave me with my heart in my mouth to be honest. Especially Cudjoe with his 'death or glory' leaps out of the line in defence.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#28 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

kallum watkins is a world class centre, i can't believe some of the garbage being posted on here about him. he would be one of the first names on my team sheet every week. as would leroy cudjoe..........both are vastly superior to jack reed.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#29 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

Leeds Rhinos try of the season went to Watkins v Bradford last night

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#30 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

kallum watkins is a world class centre, i can't believe some of the garbage being posted on here about him. he would be one of the first names on my team sheet every week. as would leroy cudjoe..........both are vastly superior to jack reed.

I would also pick Watkins everyday of the week for England in the centres but until he turns it on for England against the Aussies and kiwis I'll refrain from calling him world class, international class absolutely.

#31 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

Watkins and Cudjoe are International class, and so is Jack Reed. They are not vastly superior to him at all.

Posted Image

#32 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

The Aussie troll has got some great bites here, reminds me of League Freak in his pomp.

Watkins is a good player. The other options leave me with my heart in my mouth to be honest. Especially Cudjoe with his 'death or glory' leaps out of the line in defence.

But he went missing when we moved onto his beloved Parra :)

#33 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Well, Reed has now been ruled out, so that's that debate sorted!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#34 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Leeds Rhinos try of the season went to Watkins v Bradford last night

who was his opposite centre for Bradford?
the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#35 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

we have better centres in super league who are eligible for england...........watkins, cudjoe, atkins, goulding just four that spring to mind. and then there is stefan ratchford..

Won't be missed for the above reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users