Eagles' new ground?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 handsworth

handsworth
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Having seen Mark Aston's statement on the Eagles' website it doesn't look good for staying in Sheffield next season - I wonder if anyone at the club has looked into ground sharing with Handsworth Parramores FC at Oliver's Mount next to the Parkway at Handsworth.  It sounds like money is being put into develop the ground there, so it might be an option to look into??

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:24 AM

How long is it ?  Needs to be at least 100 metres dead ball line to dead ball line - plus some run off before the perimeter fence.  If it's not that, it's a non-starter.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Have we checked out Sheffield F C's ground at Dronfield, I advocated this years ago, if it's ok for the first soccer team ever, with a Sheffield name to play there.   What is wrong with us playing there?   It has a Sheffield postmark........

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#4 S13Eagle

S13Eagle
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

Have we checked out Sheffield F C's ground at Dronfield, I advocated this years ago, if it's ok for the first soccer team ever, with a Sheffield name to play there.   What is wrong with us playing there?   It has a Sheffield postmark........

The pitch is not long enough for Rugby league so it's a non starter

Sheffield Eagles

Back To Back Champions

2012 and 2013

#5 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Have we checked out Stocksbridge Park Steels F.C ground at Stocksbridge?

Posted Image

#6 S13Eagle

S13Eagle
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

I believe so yes, I think it is has the same problem as dronfield with the pitch not being long enough though i'm not 100% on that one 

also there may have been problems with the cricket pitch bang next to it with both being summer sports 

Sheffield Eagles

Back To Back Champions

2012 and 2013

#7 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

The playing surface at Stocksbridge looks massive, it only has capacity for 3,500 fans so may not be big enough for our requirements......

Posted Image

#8 S13Eagle

S13Eagle
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

I didn't know it held as many as 3500, that would be big enough for us at the minute as the RFL requirement on minimum capacity for the championship is 3000 

The capacity at owlerton is around 3500ish because the far side open terrace is condemned and with the club saying this is the only option left to stay in sheffield they must have looked at stocksbridge I'm sure I saw it somewhere that they have.

Regarding sharing with the cricket club thats there i know rotherham titans RU have problems sharing at clifton lane and is far from ideal  

Sheffield Eagles

Back To Back Champions

2012 and 2013

#9 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,590 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Give us a clue Griff......

Posted Image

#10 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

It's about time the RFL lived in the real world! There's only 3 clubs in the Championship with any hope of getting more than 3,000 for a normal home game, so let's have a more realistic figure, as long as the facilities are good enough! Big cup games can always be moved to another venue if there's any likelihood of exceeding the capacity.

#11 handsworth

handsworth
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

From what I have been told the new development at Oliver's Mount will see the football pitch and stands built over the cricket pitch, so there should be plenty of room. The reason Handsworth had to drop out of step 5 of the non-league pyramid was due to the changing rooms being too far away from the football pitch, which will now be solved with the development over the cricket side.

Only way to find out if it could be a goer is for someone at the Eagles to ask 'um.

#12 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

I believe so yes, I think it is has the same problem as dronfield with the pitch not being long enough though i'm not 100% on that one 

also there may have been problems with the cricket pitch bang next to it with both being summer sports 

With due respect there is a cricket pitch right at the side of our ground at Batley and it doesn't cause any problems. I can only remember once, a long time ago, that a cricket ball appeared on the Rugby pitch during a game.

Good luck with your search, for what it's worth you are being treated very very shabbily by the council.

A Batley Bulldog.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#13 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 802 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

The Eagles have explored every option mentioned in this threat, Owlerton is the only option

why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

With due respect there is a cricket pitch right at the side of our ground at Batley and it doesn't cause any problems. I can only remember once, a long time ago, that a cricket ball appeared on the Rugby pitch during a game.

Good luck with your search, for what it's worth you are being treated very very shabbily by the council.

A Batley Bulldog.

Thanks for your thoughts but there's a difference between a cricket ground being across the road and one in the same arena.  Like comparing apples with oranges.

#15 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for your thoughts but there's a difference between a cricket ground being across the road and one in the same arena.  Like comparing apples with oranges.

Ah I see, you mean it's like the old Bramall Lane with one side open to the cricket pitch. I see where you are coming from. Of course at the 'Mount' the cricket pitch is behind the Popular stand. So just get the council to build a stand there. Probably not me thinks.

Good luck.

Colinb.

ps. We do have some funny looking apples in Batley that do look like oranges ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Edited by colinb, 17 September 2013 - 12:25 PM.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

Ah I see, you mean it's like the old Bramall Lane with one side open to the cricket pitch. I see where you are coming from. Of course at the 'Mount' the cricket pitch is behind the Popular stand. So just get the council to build a stand there. Probably not me thinks.

Good luck.

Colinb.

ps. We do have some funny looking apples in Batley that do look like oranges ;)

Yeah - they'll be Orange Pippins. :laugh:

Edited by Griff, 18 September 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#17 S13Eagle

S13Eagle
  • Players
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

I hear work on the pitch at Owlerton has started and things are looking more promising for us to be there next season 

Anyone know/heard anymore?

Sheffield Eagles

Back To Back Champions

2012 and 2013

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

I hear work on the pitch at Owlerton has started and things are looking more promising for us to be there next season 

It'll be reyt.

#19 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 888 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

i were at owlerton yesterday and the pitch is coverd with tons of red shale thats very sharp,needs returfing/or new  plastic pitch and its also lost 30 foot off its width for car run offs and at least 40 off length so a none starter. lights for racing are naff so no good for rugby, viewing is of for the racing but pitch is too far away.hope the games are on premier sports as its a no go for fans.

#20 hawk-eye

hawk-eye
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

i were at owlerton yesterday and the pitch is coverd with tons of red shale thats very sharp,needs returfing/or new  plastic pitch and its also lost 30 foot off its width for car run offs and at least 40 off length so a none starter. lights for racing are naff so no good for rugby, viewing is of for the racing but pitch is too far away.hope the games are on premier sports as its a no go for fans.

I was at Owlerton yesterday, no sign of red shale!

I did not take a tape measure but we were assured that the RFL had given their approval to the pitch

There are potential issues with lighting, currently the plans include an earlier kick-off on Sundays and temporary lighting for night matches.  

It is good to see the Rugby League community is rallying round when the most successful club outside Super League suffers a minor problem.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users