Predictions: Leigh v Batley

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

Good luck to you guys on Sunday this one could be to close to call but I will go for Batley by 4 points

#22 Mike Oxhard

Mike Oxhard
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

It would be fantastic to have a bulldog v rams final, not just for the fans and players, but for the whole community.

Definitely agree there Steve boy. Fingers crossed - what a day that would be!

#23 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Any whispers as to Applegarth's fitness for this game or are we saving him for the final?

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like

expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#24 bulldogtrev

bulldogtrev
  • Coach
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

If Huddersfield beat Wigan tonight I am assuming Mullally, Fairbank and Johnson will be available along with Fleming from Castleford. John Kear should have a strong squad to pick from. Batley are good enough to win at Leigh. The result will depend on if we match Leigh in the pack , shutdown the halfbacks and try to move the ball whilst allowing for the conditions.

"Anyone who does not watch rugby league is not a real person."

-John Singleton,

#25 Mike Oxhard

Mike Oxhard
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:02 PM

I think the man to fear is Ridyard, he has a fantastic kicking game... A top stand off IMO. I just hope he's quiet.. If he is we deffo win I reckon. ... ;-)

#26 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

I agree mike, keep him quiet and its a no brainer, for the dogs, but we must play for the full 80mins, weve a problem of going to sleep at certain times.

#27 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:09 AM

Any whispers as to Applegarth's fitness for this game or are we saving him for the final?

I spoke to him yesterday.  Doesn't sound like he'll be returning any time soon - the knee is still giving him trouble. 

#28 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 701 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

JK on radio Leeds said Mark is out for the season but Mullally and Fairbank have been made available this weekend.

#29 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Good to have mullally back in, been playing well.

#30 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:37 AM

Do you heavily rely on D/R ?
I was told you were going with 19 next year and looking for 5/6 Hudds players to make up the squad
I know leigh only have spencer who has played the required six games to qualify for the play offs

#31 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

I was told you were going with 19 next year and looking for 5/6 Hudds players to make up the squad
I know leigh only have spencer who has played the required six games to qualify for the play offs

No we do not rely heavily on D/R but we will use it to enhance the squad if we can. I believe our relationship with Huddersfield is pretty close to how D/R was first envisaged. I think this has been a partnership in the real sense of the word. In fact JK was suggesting that we need to do a little more next season for Huddersfield as we have had the better of the relationship this season. We have used the same young lads throughout the season. As for next, who knows but if it is as you describe it will not be very different to this one.

I was a great opponent of the system at the start of the season, and still am in many ways, but reckon it has done no harm to our standing as an independent club. I reckon the relationships, like all, should be based on mutual respect and I believe this to have been the case with ours and Huddersfield's.

Of course all this assumes D/R is still in place next season.

Edited by distantdog, 13 September 2013 - 09:47 AM.

#32 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

I wouldn't say it was a 'reliance'. There are many games where we've had only one dual reg player or - as last week, none in our XVII. Out of the five dual reg players we've used this season, only Mullally and Johnson have played consistently. Ben Blackmore played only a single game, Dan Fleming has played seven or eight times, and Fairbank has played intermittently between loan spells with London and Bradford.

Edited by TheTerminator, 13 September 2013 - 09:45 AM.

Posted Image

#33 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

How many qualify for Sunday ?

I also think DR will be gone for next year

Edited by sweaty craiq, 13 September 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#34 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

How many qualify for Sunday ?

I believe the minimum appearance requirement is three games, so Mullally, Fairbank, Fleming and Johnson all qualify - as does Alex Walmsley, although he only appeared in the early stages of the season and then vanished into oblivion ;-)

Posted Image

#35 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

I wouldn't say it was a 'reliance'. There are many games where we've had only one dual reg player or - as last week, none in our XVII. Out of the five dual reg players we've used this season, only Mullally and Johnson have played consistently. Ben Blackmore played only a single game, Dan Fleming has played seven or eight times, and Fairbank has played intermittently between loan spells with London and Bradford.

I would call it a reliance now. If you take the Giants forwards out of our pack we are down to bare bones. Any injuries and we would be in trouble.

#36 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

I would call it a reliance now. If you take the Giants forwards out of our pack we are down to bare bones. Any injuries and we would be in trouble.

I guess its a form of reliance, however bare bones or not we are still capable of selecting a winning team from Batley players. The Giants players aren't strictly essential, they just add nicely to our strength when needed.

Posted Image

#37 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

If the above is correct about only signing 19 players up for next season, then I would definately call it reliant. How many games does a team have an entire fully fit squad available?  I can`t think of any this season.

#38 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Think it is six appearances, in league,  to qualify for play offs, which still means Mullally, Fleming,  Johnson and Fairbanks are ok,  does. Anyone know if this also applies to loan signings

#39 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

If the above is correct about only signing 19 players up for next season, then I would definately call it reliant. How many games does a team have an entire fully fit squad available?  I can`t think of any this season.

Yes, but what evidence have we that this is the case? And what number of a squad should be signed up to the home club? I reckon we have worked with a squad of around 22 this year so not much difference for next season.

#40 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

Back to predictions.

After seeing the weather forecast, I`m going for a Leigh win.

18-10

ATT 2010

MOM Brierley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users