League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shaun Lunt

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 951 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Congrats to Shaun for making the SL dream team, very well deserved and hopefully first choice for England in the World cup.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#2 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Yes, congratulations indeed and I think he is a must for England but there again Wane was shouting up McIlorum on Sky Sports News saying he should have been in the dream team.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

has wane been smoking something. other than houghton no one has been close to shaun this year. it was an all english team but how many will make the england side with the clown in charge? maybe 5?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

....... Wane was shouting up McIlorum on Sky Sports News saying he should have been in the dream team.

SL Thug team more like!

#5 OttO

OttO
  • Coach
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

Well done Shaun!

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

#6 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well done Lunty lad, great to see one of young uns do so well. As for Mcllorum, we have 2 players at our club who are as good as him, the very definition of average.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:32 AM

Lunt England WC hooker ... No doubt if picked on form and consistency him and Danny Houghton are stand outs , although i would like to see Burrow in there somewhere as he covers a couple of spots and the big Anzac teams hate small , fast guys running up the guts ....See Amor has signed for Saints

Edited by DavidM, 10 September 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#8 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

off form it has to be lunt and houghton but you can guarantee roby will be in there even though hes had a poor season this year. theyll also try to force sinfield into stand off instead of someone like smith.off form my team would be
tomkins
hall
cudjoe
watkins
charnley
smith
widdop
crabtree
lunt
graham
kirmond
burgess(cant remember which is which twin)
sam burgess

Edited by wonky, 10 September 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#9 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

off form it has to be lunt and houghton but you can guarantee roby will be in there even though hes had a poor season this year. theyll also try to force sinfield into stand off instead of someone like smith.off form my team would be
tomkins
hall
cudjoe
watkins
charnley
smith
widdop
crabtree
lunt
graham
kirmond
burgess(cant remember which is which twin)
sam burgess

picking that team going off form, widdop played 50 mins at the weekend for the reserve grade in his 1st game back. Chase has to be in for me, after all, hes now english!

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'd go
Tomkins
Hall
Watkins
Reed ( fingers crossed on the collarbone )
Charnley ( wouldn't mind Lineham )
Widdop
Chase
Graham
Lunt ( I feel he may well pick Sinfield here )
G Burgess
S Burgess
Westwood ( Farrell in the mix )
Sinfield ( its just at 6 I object ).

CRABTREE
BURROW
HILL
ELLIS ( not at best but seen it / done it )

Top of my head so no doubt missed someone and will change my mind!!

Edited by DavidM, 10 September 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#11 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

Ok Reed is out , scrap that one! Pretty gutted about that actually . Even Wally Lewis called him the best defensive centre in the game .

Edited by DavidM, 10 September 2013 - 12:17 PM.

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:52 PM

picking that team going off form, widdop played 50 mins at the weekend for the reserve grade in his 1st game back. Chase has to be in for me, after all, hes now english!

chase has had average season with a poor team. hes done nothing for england and is as english as i am an egyptian.i think one of our key positions to be covered by an nrl player who has played against aussie defenders all year.

#13 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

If Jonny Lomax had played 7 all year he'd have been the man , but he hasn't . I hear what you say about Chase , but he's eligible and to me he's the best we have . He's xfactor and we don't have anyone to unlock defences like him . Widdop and him to me looks like all bases covered . Brough is Scottish and Smith isn't good enough . Only Maguire is left really if he doesn't punt on Lomax

#14 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

This is going to be the WC of players playing for countries they're not from !! Even Australia clamp down on Pacific Islanders and Kiwis when they're good enough , like Uate and Tamou . Like they need strengthening ...

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

forgot all about lomax. i suppose one option would be move tomkins to 7 and lomax to full back. but we are talking about mcnamara here and no doubt the same old faces will be there like buchanen etc.

#16 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Wouldn't have Matty smith in there he won't be the Aussies

#17 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

My thoughts exactly Wonky ... All good craic but our fate and selections are in his hands , so , err , god help us all !!

#18 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Wouldn't have Matty smith in there he won't be the Aussies

lets be honest scott, were not beating the aussies regardless who plays. i would have been more confident if we had a coach who hadnt deemed the best player in the league not good enough for us.

ratchford shouldnt be far away either, can cover a lot of positions and create tries from nothing

#19 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Getting to the final is what you've got to be looking at . That's a big enough ask to beat NZ in a semi , but at least that's marginally more achievable . These teams have got strength in depth and across the park we can't match . Injuries to key personnel kill us , they just soak them up and replace top quality with the same off a conveyor belt.

Edited by DavidM, 10 September 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#20 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,464 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

I know it goes against the grain but I'm not sure I would pick Tomkins as he is vulnerable under the high ball and the Aussies will give him plenty of that. I would prefer someone like Zak Hardacre in that position or Stephan Ratchford. Tompkins does things off the cuff but he can also be a liability, so maybe have him on the bench for later in a game.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users