Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shaun Lunt

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

I know what you're saying Keith . Do you remember that test against the Kiwis two years back when they peppered him and he got near none of them . I think he has to be there though , where is another point .

#22 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm with Keith, great broken play runner etc but not a complete full back by any means. I'd opt for somebody safe back there and either play him in the halves or off the bench.
If we can learn anything off the Kiwis on how to beat the Aussies it's with a mixture of off the cuff flair and sound defence. For that reason I'd pick Chase but if you paired him up with Tomkins it might end up either a car crash or dynamite. We have to roll the dice IMO though.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#23 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

chase has had average season with a poor team. hes done nothing for england and is as english as i am an egyptian.i think one of our key positions to be covered by an nrl player who has played against aussie defenders all year.

i'd have nothing against widdop playing at 6 but he has spent the last half of the season injured. he may hit form if he can get back in the side for playoffs, if not then get chase in! defo not sinfield at 6!!

#24 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

has wane been smoking something. other than houghton no one has been close to shaun this year. it was an all english team but how many will make the england side with the clown in charge? maybe 5?

Mickey Higham cleaned up at the Warrington presentation night without watching all there games I'd say him Lunty and Houghton have been the top three number nines in super league
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#25 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

We all see one thing but McNamara usually sees another .. More and more scribes are ruminating that he'll pick Sinfield at 9 , as his best effort for England came there . He wants to fit him in , but as Schofield says , he doesn't know where ! Shows you shouldn't pick a captain before a team . Burgess should be captain anyway .

Edited by DavidM, 11 September 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#26 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

We all see one thing but McNamara usually sees another .. More and more scribes are ruminating that he'll pick Sinfield at 9 , as his best effort for England came there . He wants to fit him in , but as Schofield says , he doesn't know where ! Shows you shouldn't pick a captain before a team . Burgess should be captain anyway .

bang on there mate, if sinfield plays 9 then our world cup will be another failure. then at least we might make the numpty walk.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#27 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Every cloud has a silver lining , yes indeed !!

#28 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

Tomkins should be in at scrum-half, which is where he began his career! In international rugby where defences are always tight, you need to have your most elusive and dangerous player with his hands on the ball as much as possible - not stuck at full-back. I seem to remember that Michael Maguire only stuck him there to fit in with the system he'd designed for Wigan at the time. He was actually already an excellent and very effective halfback before his move there, displaying the same qualities as he does as a full-back!

Edited by TheTerminator, 11 September 2013 - 11:13 PM.

Posted Image

#29 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Quite a good piece in the Daily Express this morning about Shaun Lunt, about half a page.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#30 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:51 AM

You got a link KT

#31 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

You got a link KT

Here you are Scott:-

http://www.express.c...ort/rugbyleague

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#32 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Cheers

#33 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

What's going on with him here ? You've got the best 9 in the game ... And you put two hookers on the bench , one of them totally out of his depth ? So Lunt is off the pitch for ages ... And they plummet in quality with his replacements . Overkill or what .Totally bizarre and a waste of a sub ?

Edited by DavidM, 12 September 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#34 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

I couldn't believe the length of time Anderson kept him off the pitch. It gave the very pro-Wigan commentators and summerisers even more time to big up McIlorum, and with McNamara sitting in the stand as well.

#35 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:48 PM

Is he maybe not fully fit?

#36 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

McNamara has said Kirmond is not in his plans . So form has no bearing on picking even a train-on squad ? Very strange . It must be who you play for .

#37 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

McNamara has said Kirmond is not in his plans . So form has no bearing on picking even a train-on squad ? Very strange . It must be who you play for .

lets be honest, the guy is an absolute clown. how he ever got the job is beyond me, but not picking in form players is a crime. wouldnt be surprised to see mcguire and burrow in the squad.

#38 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

The fact that Kyle Wood is a regular member of SL's table-topping side is a sad indictment of the game in this country.

Posted Image

#39 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

He even looked awful in the kids side against Bradford . If I was Lunt I'd be a bit piqued by that one .

#40 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

The fact that Kyle Wood is a regular member of SL's table-topping side is a sad indictment of the game in this country.

i thought it was odd they took him bavk from wakey when he hardly got a game there.giants often make weird decisions on there hookers, scott moore over lunt for example.