Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

question for the oldies

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:59 AM

who used to say, "daft i call it, whats for tea ma". i think its from the green final.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#2 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Come back Mysterio all is foregiven

#3 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Deed a day Danny in the Knockout comic used to say "Whats for tea Ma" His dad would then say Daft I call it.

#4 1945 onwards

1945 onwards
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

On the back page of a comic (I think The Knockout) It was "Our Ernie" who went on worldwide adventures with his worm (No I haven't been on the juice). On the last picture Ernie was back home and said "What's for tea Ma?" and his dad said every week "Daft I call it".

#5 1945 onwards

1945 onwards
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:47 PM

Just tracked it down on Google. It was Ernie Entwistle in the Knockout and he lived in Wigan.

#6 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

thanks for all the replies

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#7 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Didn't know the answer OR, but thanks for stirring up the memories about the Green Final. Arthur Haddock was a legend, I can remember waiting as a lad, outside the front door on a Saturday evening waiting for the paper boy to turn up. Everybodyplayed on a Saturday in those days, so the paper was full of rugby and soccer reports, and a weekly round up from all the local clubs....Magic!

#8 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Didn't know the answer OR, but thanks for stirring up the memories about the Green Final. Arthur Haddock was a legend, I can remember waiting as a lad, outside the front door on a Saturday evening waiting for the paper boy to turn up. Everybodyplayed on a Saturday in those days, so the paper was full of rugby and soccer reports, and a weekly round up from all the local clubs....Magic!

Funny thing about memories.  If I stumble or take a wrong step or become over verbose, I say to myself 'Steady Barker'. This goes back to Eric Barker on the radio. Years ago when he was getting carried away on some subject he used to say that. Funny that I should still use it.  'Can you hear me Mother.'. Also waited for the Green Final in Station Lane. There was also the 'Pink 'un'. Mind you I also flew my home made kite on Featherstone muckstacks when they were very high. So nothing is surprising really.

#9 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Funny thing about memories.  If I stumble or take a wrong step or become over verbose, I say to myself 'Steady Barker'. This goes back to Eric Barker on the radio. Years ago when he was getting carried away on some subject he used to say that. Funny that I should still use it.  'Can you hear me Mother.'. Also waited for the Green Final in Station Lane. There was also the 'Pink 'un'. Mind you I also flew my home made kite on Featherstone muckstacks when they were very high. So nothing is surprising really.

pink un was never as good as green un Colin

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#10 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:56 PM

Hows about Frank Randle,"Ger off mi foot". We have opened a can of worms with this one OR.

#11 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hows about Frank Randle,"Ger off mi foot". We have opened a can of worms with this one OR.

loved Frank Randle, "don't fling thy thwarts at me"

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#12 Eagletarian

Eagletarian
  • Coach
  • 4,594 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

pink un was never as good as green un Colin

And the Late Green Final was even better.......

Rugby League should be the opiate of the people (Marks not in Las Palmas)

Posted Image

#13 johnh

johnh
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

It was amazing when you think about it. In the pre-computer age, the games would finish at 4.40, and the paper would be on the street by about 6.00, with reports on all the matches. These days some of the national press can't even get our scores on by the following day! And don't get me started on Look North.

Matt - send us some players from Tonga

#14 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Coach
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

It was amazing when you think about it. In the pre-computer age, the games would finish at 4.40, and the paper would be on the street by about 6.00, with reports on all the matches. These days some of the national press can't even get our scores on by the following day! And don't get me started on Look North.

Totally agree. Think the paper was printed in Leeds, so, to be in all over West Yorks for 6.00pm - impressive!

Takes me back...................

#15 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

Remember when you came out of the match you would get the early green with all the half time scores in a little box in the corner lol now we just look on the phone as it happens

#16 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

In the very early sixties they even printed a sports paper that previewed all the matches and was sold on the terraces before the game. It had special editorials in, and even caricatures of some of the players. I can remember my Grandad buying one for me at Lawkholme Lane, it was before the start of the Challenge Cup first round match between Keighley and Rovers in 1961, and it previewed all the first round matches. I distinctly remember that Pilkington Recs were one of the amateur sides that year, and I have a feeling the others were Dewsbury Celtic, who might have been playing Cas? I wish I could remember things that happened last week just as easily, that's age for you I suppose?

#17 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

In the very early sixties they even printed a sports paper that previewed all the matches and was sold on the terraces before the game. It had special editorials in, and even caricatures of some of the players. I can remember my Grandad buying one for me at Lawkholme Lane, it was before the start of the Challenge Cup first round match between Keighley and Rovers in 1961, and it previewed all the first round matches. I distinctly remember that Pilkington Recs were one of the amateur sides that year, and I have a feeling the others were Dewsbury Celtic, who might have been playing Cas? I wish I could remember things that happened last week just as easily, that's age for you I suppose?

i remember us playing a cup game against dewsbury celtic. it was played at crown flatt

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#18 dobber

dobber
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:52 AM

Cas beat Celtic, 32, 0. In 1961, Rovers beat Keighley 11, 5. rovers played Stanningley in 1964, but did play Dewsbury Celtic but not while 1972, winning 34, 2.

#19 dobber

dobber
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

Can remember when Great Britain, was on tour in 1970, the results used to be in the stop press, on the side of the evening Post paper, just the score & who had scored.

#20 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Cas beat Celtic, 32, 0. In 1961, Rovers beat Keighley 11, 5. rovers played Stanningley in 1964, but did play Dewsbury Celtic but not while 1972, winning 34, 2.

wasn't the stanningley game the one where Don Fox got the record for points in a game?

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image