Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Statement - Board of Directors of Sheffield Eagles RLFC (Merged threads)

possible venues 2014

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Merge with Doncaster and change the name to South Yorkshire Steelers and move to Rotherham or Barnsley or somewhere.

Eagles havent a ground and the cost issues for Doncaster at Lakeside are well documented.

Problem solved and the super league big wigs would love it too.

Its a win win all round.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#42 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

how about mansfield? just down the road and a nice ground to boot.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#43 PREPOSTEROUS

PREPOSTEROUS
  • Coach
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:49 PM

Chesterfield?

#44 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Kidderminster do a cracking Cottage Pie, I propose a game there

St Johnstone make their own pies, and very nice they are too! And the town city even has an eagle in its crest (albeit a two-headed one). Does this mean that Perth could host a game against one of the Cumbrian clubs?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#45 redjonn

redjonn
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

well yeah... but what are the pie's like

#46 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

.... If, for example, they played the smaller games at Fev, and let their season ticket holders in for half price, the money they got off Fev fans would pay for free busses for Eagles fans to travel from Sheffield....

Mmmmmmmm???????????? Let's say they have 800 regulars so you need 15 buses. The cheapest bus my missus was able to hire recently was £300, making the cost £4500. But let's say they could cut a deal and get them for £200 a go that's still £3000. Half price entrance at £8 means that you'd have to attract 375 Fev supporters to break even!

#47 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

Mmmmmmmm???????????? Let's say they have 800 regulars so you need 15 buses. The cheapest bus my missus was able to hire recently was £300, making the cost £4500. But let's say they could cut a deal and get them for £200 a go that's still £3000. Half price entrance at £8 means that you'd have to attract 375 Fev supporters to break even!

So you wouldn't go watch Sheffield at Fev when Rovers weren't playing if you could get in half price? I think that good few hundred would!

#48 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

we've been there, done that and it was a disaster. The late great Mansfield Marksmen.

#49 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,942 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Merge with Doncaster and change the name to South Yorkshire

Its a win win all round.

Maurice Lyndsay rides again!!

#50 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

we've been there, done that and it was a disaster. The late great Mansfield Marksmen.

we also went back to london and south wales after failures down there.......so what's your point??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#51 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

we also went back to london and south wales after failures down there.......so what's your point??

And how are the London and south Wales operations working out ?

#52 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

450 - you've forgotten the VAT.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#53 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

450 - you've forgotten the VAT.

Forgotten the VAT? Sounds like he's got all the attributes for the Chief Finance Officer role at most pro RL clubs then!

#54 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

If the Eagles have already 'acquired' temporary stands, why don't they approach Mount St Mary's?

I know it's not technically Sheffield as it occupies that grey area that comprises the 'perineum' between Sheffield and Chesterfield but it's a far more workable option than some I've seen mentioned and is less than five mins from junction 31(?) of the M1.

#55 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Went to game last night v rams , chairman made statement the club have a meeting with owlerton owners and council on friday with the hope of moving in there. Well done the rams fans last night they must have brought 300 and around ten of them never stop singing well done lads.Shame on Eagles stay away fans though last ever game at dv and only 893 turned up and like I said around 300 were from dewsbury. It hardly sends a message to the council when only around 600 fans turn out .

Chief Crazy Eagle

#56 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

If the Eagles have already 'acquired' temporary stands, why don't they approach Mount St Mary's?

I know it's not technically Sheffield as it occupies that grey area that comprises the 'perineum' between Sheffield and Chesterfield but it's a far more workable option than some I've seen mentioned and is less than five mins from junction 31(?) of the M1.

By car.  If you've got one.

There would be a host of other logistical problems such as lack of turnstiles.

#57 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:11 AM

By car. If you've got one.

There would be a host of other logistical problems such as lack of turnstiles.

Last time I checked they didn't have turnstiles at universities either. The one thing with 'The Mount' is that there's only one way in and out.

I still think Chesterfield is the best of the potential short term options though.

#58 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

The problem i think that sheffeild will face with moving grounds to outside the district is funding from Grants would cease, i believe they get grants due to expansionism etc, I am aware they get lots of funding for where they are though whatever schemes they have available and that is down to terrific work from Mark Aston and the BOD etc. If this was to stop they wouldnt be a sustainable business as they would be heavily relient on away fans and having to pay rent to wherever they play. They must remain in the City.

#59 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

The problem i think that sheffeild will face with moving grounds to outside the district is funding from Grants would cease, i believe they get grants due to expansionism etc, I am aware they get lots of funding for where they are though whatever schemes they have available and that is down to terrific work from Mark Aston and the BOD etc. If this was to stop they wouldnt be a sustainable business as they would be heavily relient on away fans and having to pay rent to wherever they play. They must remain in the City.

Not sure that's true.  As far as I know, you get the grant for doing the work in the area. Where you're based is irrelevant.

#60 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Last time I checked they didn't have turnstiles at universities either.

Check again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users