TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Statement - Board of Directors of Sheffield Eagles RLFC (Merged threads)

possible venues 2014

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#81 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

You're welcome.  Fwiw, Hallam University seem to be the biggest driver.

It's interesting because Hunslet were resurrected at a Greyhound stadium, and it's closure caused us to play at Batley until "something turned up" that being a tenancy at Council owned Elland Road. Once the soccer club regained it's feet and the stadium we were out with a council verbal promise of a new ground that would be basic but improved if the club ever got entry to Superleague.

We then played at Bramley awaiting the new ground and when we got it straight away you could see that it was not built for us but part of a sports complex serving the city. They even ended up namaing the place after a soccer legend. Come Superleague the council could not recall the verbal promise and that fact alone triggered the decline of the club at that point. It would have declined anyway if it could not have hacked Superleague and there's no evidence it ever could have.

So some paralells with our history of struggle, and a feeling that councils have no care for small clubs. Does the proposed private project which may include a ground for sheffield have a better chance including sheffield eagles? e.g. it's revenue for the middle of an athletics track like we are?? And is there a danger the ground would not be acceptable hosting SL?

#82 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

The theory is that it's not a stadium where the buildings are used for something else during the week.  It's buildings used for something else during the week that can become a stadium on match days.  Apparently the change of emphasis aids the attraction of the required investment.

I'm happy to believe it when I see it.  Though, as I said earlier, I have seen things I didn't expect to see.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#83 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:07 PM

Though, as I said earlier, I have seen things I didn't expect to see.

I've seen Attack Ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion

#84 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

I've seen Attack Ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion

Indeed ?

#85 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Indeed ?

sorry, a film quote jumped into my head when reading the previous message. I guess few got it but made me chuckle and that's the main thing ;-)

#86 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Is Roy Batty any relation to Eddy?

#87 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Is Roy Batty any relation to Eddy?

Doubt it.  Their surnames aren't spelt the same.

#88 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Doubt it. Their surnames aren't spelt the same.

Never mind.

#89 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,052 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

Great win at Halifax in the playoffs. I hope they find a home base. It would be a shame to dismantle such a good team.

#90 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:35 AM

Great win at Halifax in the playoffs. I hope they find a home base. It would be a shame to dismantle such a good team.

This is very true. Aston is a fantastic coach and has done well to scrabble cash together from various sources to create the facade of a top class club.

They let themselves down in other areas (I won't go into this as West Country Eagle will tell me off) but it'd be a shame if Sheffield were to unravel after another successful season on the pitch.

Let's hope a workable, common sense conclusion emerges.

Ps, has the club looked at all the non-league football grounds in and around Sheffield?

Edited by Pottsy, 21 September 2013 - 07:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users