Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sheffield in the mire

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

http://www.totalrl.c...ld-eagles-rlfc/

Might have a few quid on Dewsbury on Sunday depending on what start they have.

This would explain the poor form of late with all the uncertainty behind the scenes.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

The vast, vast majority of Sheffield's income is from sponsorship deals. Maybe the way forward for them is to work alongside one (or more) of those sponsors to build a ground of their own. In a city as vast as Sheffield, surely there's land they would be able to secure. It might mean them cutting back on their playing expenditure for a few years and taking a step down, but I'm sure its an achievable target.

Posted Image

#3 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:39 PM

Might have to go knocking at Lakeside to see if they can get a ground share for a season? Batley should offer them a ground share to pull some extra cash in and make sure every game against them is a home fixture :)
SIGNATURE

#4 Mike Oxhard

Mike Oxhard
  • Players
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

The vast, vast majority of Sheffield's income is from sponsorship deals. Maybe the way forward for them is to work alongside one (or more) of those sponsors to build a ground of their own. In a city as vast as Sheffield, surely there's land they would be able to secure. It might mean them cutting back on their playing expenditure for a few years and taking a step down, but I'm sure its an achievable target.

Yeah but I'm sure they need to get is sorted quick. Perhaps the VASTER the better

#5 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Yeah but I'm sure they need to get is sorted quick. Perhaps the VASTER the better

Maybe it could be a project that is completed over a couple of years, and they might spend the next few years playing at anywhere that will accommodate them?

Posted Image

#6 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:07 PM

http://www.totalrl.c...ld-eagles-rlfc/

Might have a few quid on Dewsbury on Sunday depending on what start they have.

This would explain the poor form of late with all the uncertainty behind the scenes.

I fancy Dewsbury to win given their and the Eagles recent form; which would push us down to 6th in the prize list if we should come a cropper at Leigh.

I hope that the Eagles find a home.  They have a better record than many a club from traditional RL areas and deserve to prosper in my opinion.  Good luck to them. 

#7 phildog

phildog
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:44 AM

This has been on the cards since Sheffield council announced that Don Valley would go. Eagles have played enough games at Bramall Lane to expect that the football club would help them out, but it seems now that all the football club cared about was the income over a short period,and now they're not interested in helping. the possibility of them moving to Rotherham wouldn't harm, as I believe there are more amateur clubs nearer at hand whose players and supporters might be tempted to go and watch, whilst their existing support doesn't have far to go. Owlerton is a possibility, but with the changes upcoming in re-structuring Eagles would never be accepted into SL 1 (should they earn promotion) playing there. What happened to the suggestion from the club that there would be a new stadium built to house them when DV stadium went?

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Only found out last Wednesday, so it probably doesn't.

Not sure the players would be all that fussed either way.  Hardly likely to affect their game.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

Only found out last Wednesday, so it probably doesn't.

Not sure the players would be all that fussed either way. Hardly likely to affect their game.

It could very likely effect their game if they're future at Sheffield looks bleak if no new home is found.
SIGNATURE

#10 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'd be happy to lend Sheffield our ground for a season - but only if Mark Aston wasn't involved. He's done nothing but take snide digs at Batley over the last decade over various issues, and openly labelled our club as 'cheats' in the press only a few months back. People have long memories, I'm afraid...

Posted Image

#11 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

It's when they are being nice to you, you need to be afraid - then they don't feel you are a threat to them. When they are being nasty about you means they fear you and feel you could get in front of them.
(see PL football eg Mourinho; Ferguson)

#12 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

It's when they are being nice to you, you need to be afraid - then they don't feel you are a threat to them. When they are being nasty about you means they fear you and feel you could get in front of them.
(see PL football eg Mourinho; Ferguson)

That means Aston and Harrison ###### themselves when Batley come then! :)
SIGNATURE

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

It could very likely effect their game if they're future at Sheffield looks bleak if no new home is found.

Unlikely.  They'd just sign for somebody else.

Not to mention that there's no suggestion from anyone actually at the club that it would fold.  Just that it might have to play at a ground outside the city.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users