Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

questions raised by the michael le vell case

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

because this weeks court case has been so high profile  with mlv been found not guilty it seems to be raising the issues of anonymity for people accused of these types of things, I would also like to know what happens to the girl who has been found to be telling non truths to police and the court of a long period of time costing thousands of pounds , I have no like or dis like for the guy but is it right to be put up like this before the public for any individual , famous or not before a trial has concluded?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#2 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Just because MLV was found innocent it doesn't automatically mean the girl told lies.  By that logic anyone who loses a court case would be tried for perjury.

There are issues with the fact that MLV has had to paint himself in a less than flattering light to prove innocence, and these facts are now public knowledge.  This means despite innocence he has probably had serious damage to his career.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#3 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Just because MLV was found innocent it doesn't automatically mean the girl told lies.  By that logic anyone who loses a court case would be tried for perjury.

There are issues with the fact that MLV has had to paint himself in a less than flattering light to prove innocence, and these facts are now public knowledge.  This means despite innocence he has probably had serious damage to his career.

so why not both identities kept secret till a conclusion?

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#4 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

so why not both identities kept secret till a conclusion?

The counter argument is that when the name is released other potential victims come forward.

I don't think the current system works very well for either party but have no real idea what it could be replaced with.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#5 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

The counter argument is that when the name is released other potential victims come forward.

I don't think the current system works very well for either party but have no real idea what it could be replaced with.

Indeed only when it came to light what Jimmy Savle did, did more poeple come forward.

I'm glad that justice has been done in this case, but the media frenzy wouldn't have been as big if Michael Le Vell wasn't a celeb. I suppose its the price of fame that has escalated the issue here.

#6 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

Indeed only when it came to light what Jimmy Savle did, did more poeple come forward.

I'm glad that justice has been done in this case, but the media frenzy wouldn't have been as big if Michael Le Vell wasn't a celeb. I suppose its the price of fame that has escalated the issue here.

so if le vell had died before the allegations would the media have convicted  him as guilty and compensation seekers come rushing forward? as he would have not had a choice in death?

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

From Michael Le Vell's Wikipedia entry:

His marriage broke up in 2011.

He was accused of a sex offence in September 2011.

In 2013, he pleaded not guilty to all 19 charges.. During the trial at Manchester Crown Court, his barrister described the accuser's evidence as containing a series of inconsistencies.

On 10 September 2013, he was found not guilty on all counts.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm not sure how you could have anonymity for the accused in any open society. It would, in effect, mean secret trials and, presumably, secret arrests. Would the accused just 'disappear' on arrest if they had to be remanded in custody? How would you go about arranging witnesses for the defence if no one knew who was being tried and what the charges were?

Surely the basis of any legal system, especially one where the accused in presumed innocent until proved guilty, is that the defendant is allowed the opportunity to demonstrate his innocence in open court.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#9 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:06 PM

so if le vell had died before the allegations would the media have convicted him as guilty and compensation seekers come rushing forward? as he would have not had a choice in death?

That wasn't the principle was referring to. But in the Stuart hall case annonimity would have help his case, since other poeple would not have come forward.

Oh and I think you are nieve to think Jimmy Savle was innocent

#10 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

just seen the headlines on the "metro" newspaper - cleared , now I need a drink- the now I need a drink bit has no quotes around it as this is not what mlv said, it was something like "now I might just go and have a drink" the words "self confessed alcoholic" are in the very next paragraph, its as if they are like a barking pack of dogs that has seen the fox escape but still want to bark

#11 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

That wasn't the principle was referring to. But in the Stuart hall case annonimity would have help his case, since other poeple would not have come forward.

Oh and I think you are nieve to think Jimmy Savle was innocent

never said I thought js was innocent or guilty, those slow motion pictures on panorama of him pushing a hospital trolley with doom laden piano music in the background in grainey black and white are all I need as evidence, just like any other tv media controlled zombie

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

A complicated issue for certain but I really really dislike the way that womens groups dismiss the effect on a man falsely accused of rape or sexual assault as some sort of minor inconvenience - it isn't, it csn ruin lives.

#13 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

never said I thought js was innocent or guilty, those slow motion pictures on panorama of him pushing a hospital trolley with doom laden piano music in the background in grainey black and white are all I need as evidence, just like any other tv media controlled zombie

Your pseudonym is very apt

#14 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

People are found innocent of offences all the time. That's a virtue of the justice system. The people that need to apologise, pay recompense and have a long look at themselves are the people and organisations that publicised the accused's name with such vigour and relish. I'm not going to come down to hard on the accuser, there are many reasons why people accuse others of sexual abuse, and none of them suggest a happy existence. I hope that they both get the support that they need.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 11 September 2013 - 05:45 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#15 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

People are found guilty of offences all the time. That's a virtue of e justice system. The people that need to apologise, pay recompense and have a long look at the,selves are the people and organisations that publicised the accused's name with such vigour and relish. I'm not going to come down to hard on the accuser, there are many reasons why people accuse others of sexual abuse, and none of them suggest a happy existence. I hope that they both get the support that they need.

Agreed. In this case the justice system worked. If it had been your average joe public in the dock, and said 'now I need a drink' there wouldn't be any headlines.

This issue here is Le Vell is a celeb and some journalists like to create a story where there isn't one.

#16 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:53 PM

Even Joe Public has to live among other people. Anyone, however unknown has friends and family or a place of work. All which can be ruined by sexual misconduct claims - think of the 'no smoke without fire' stigma that lingers.

Simply bundling accusers together as some band of victims is not right. Many claims *are* malicious.

#17 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

Even Joe Public has to live among other people. Anyone, however unknown has friends and family or a place of work. All which can be ruined by sexual misconduct claims - think of the 'no smoke without fire' stigma that lingers.

Simply bundling accusers together as some band of victims is not right. Many claims *are* malicious.

I bet if he had been found guilty there would have been people in the sunday red tops claiming all sorts, not least compensation, a hand left on a knee for a bit too long is worth a couple of grand now apparently

#18 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

Surely his accuser now should have her name made public?

#19 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Just because MLV was found innocent it doesn't automatically mean the girl told lies. By that logic anyone who loses a court case would be tried for perjury.

There are issues with the fact that MLV has had to paint himself in a less than flattering light to prove innocence, and these facts are now public knowledge. This means despite innocence he has probably had serious damage to his career.

He wasn't "found innocent" but 'not guilty'. Similarly, he didn't have to "prove innocence", the prosecution had to prove, beyond reasonable, doubt, guilt. I'm not trying to be pedantic, these are vital principles of an adversarial trial system.

LUNEW.jpg

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

A rather brilliant blog on the subject

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users